Watch Out For A Faulty Heater...

thats why i have a lcd thermometer with high and low temp alarm dont use it for reading the temp i have a propper thermometer for that but for a couple of quid the for the alarm function is well worth it i avoided disaster a few weeks back when mine stuck hence swapping all my heaters to the tronics
 
Thermostat.

The heater plugs into it, the thermostat plugs into the wall and a probe goes into the water. You then set a cut off point and if the water temperature goes above the set temperature, power to the heater is cut off.


My understanding was the thermostat failed in all these cases?

I think the idea is you have two, the one in the heater stat normally does the work but if it fails the external one (set to a slightly higher temperature) takes over. I have often thought of doing this but never seemed to get round to it but it is the right answer, you will find the same thing is done in industry all the time and in some domestic appliances too. For example if you have an electric deep fat fryer you will see it has two temperature probes in the oil for exactly the same reason.


And you can find these thermostats in any pet supply store or is it a more specialized thing?
 
thats why i have a lcd thermometer with high and low temp alarm dont use it for reading the temp i have a propper thermometer for that but for a couple of quid the for the alarm function is well worth it i avoided disaster a few weeks back when mine stuck hence swapping all my heaters to the tronics


That again wouldn't have worked for me as i wasn't at home
 
I think the idea is you have two, the one in the heater stat normally does the work but if it fails the external one (set to a slightly higher temperature) takes over. I have often thought of doing this but never seemed to get round to it but it is the right answer, you will find the same thing is done in industry all the time and in some domestic appliances too. For example if you have an electric deep fat fryer you will see it has two temperature probes in the oil for exactly the same reason.


Ahh, of course, makes sense! Given how often these heaters seem to be malfunctioning, it's probably a good idea to have the extra thermostat. It's an extra thing to spend money on but probably well worth it if you end up losing everything!
 
That is why I don't run my heaters in the summer.

You replied with the same thing on my disaster thread,here in the UK it's not that simple,up here in Scotland we had temps of below 12c last week so heaters have been needed.

It's true... The weather in the UK has been up and down and completely unpredictable lately! If only we had stable weather! :unsure:

Edit: by the way, what brand was your heater?


It was an elite that i had in that tank.
 
Microclimate brand thermostats are good and the probes are water-proof. They cost £50 to buy though and don't include any wire to get you going :crazy:

A simple thermostat can be made at home to switch a heater on and off if you are good with electronics, by using a thermistor-variable resistor potentiometer connected to a very heavy duty relay for arround £20-£30, most of the cost being the relay :nod:

All the best
Rabbut
 
This is THE idea behind always using two or more heaters instead of just one.

With two heaters, if one stays on, the other will just stay off and you have a chance to notice that that one will always stay on. If one breaks down and never comes back on, the other one can work extra duty and keep the tank at temperature giving you a longer time to notice the one that is off.

If you plan ahead, it is always better to use two heaters rated for smaller tanks than one heater rated for a large tank.
 
Undersize the heater for the tank, and make a habit of touching the outside of the tank a few times daily. Undersize heater is less likely to cook the tank if it sticks on, though going through more cycles will shorten the life. I've had one heater stick on, a cheap one. The rest didn't heat when they died. I've gone through countless heaters, and keep spares on hand.

Touching the tank is a no brainer, you will feel a too hot or too cold tank.

Heater controllers; http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html I'm running a ETCI-1R on a 150 gallon tub outdoors, 1,000W bucket heater, which is cheaper than that wattage in conventional aquarium heaters. They have no built in thermostat, nothing to break. The cheap internal thermostat on heaters, which is often just a bimetallic strip with contacts, is total junk compared to a heat controller. The thing is built better than my house thermostat.

The traditional safe way is as Bignose mentioned, which is good for a larger tank, but unworkable if you have many smaller tanks in a small area as I do. Biggest problem is getting the two heaters balanced out, something you can get close, but never perfect.

Don't beat yourself up over the heater, it happens to the best of us. I lost some corys & bristlenose years back, the angels growing out didn't mind near 100F.
 
this frightens the life out of me, I am using and elite mini submersible 25w heater in my 25 litre tank !!!
Should I get a new one, maybe a visi-therm? What heaters do you recommend, elites obviously seem bad, I have seen a few reports of this now with them. Its so scary!!
 
This is THE idea behind always using two or more heaters instead of just one.

With two heaters, if one stays on, the other will just stay off and you have a chance to notice that that one will always stay on. If one breaks down and never comes back on, the other one can work extra duty and keep the tank at temperature giving you a longer time to notice the one that is off.

If you plan ahead, it is always better to use two heaters rated for smaller tanks than one heater rated for a large tank.


PERFECT....when I have the money I'm going to invest in two small heaters. My heater is about 4 months old now. I hope it will survive till I can replace it and not cook my fish!
 
That is why I don't run my heaters in the summer.


I too don't use heaters on my small 12g tanks.

I live in the east midlands, but my flat is modern and has old people living above, below, left, and right of it.

In the coldest days of winter I use my gas fire for 5 mins in the morning.

My unheated tanks have never get below 20'c so far.


And to prevent a disaster like the OPs I use 2 small heaters, not one big one.
So if it locks on it won't do too much damage.

doris
 

Most reactions

Back
Top