Wasting Disease

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ImmortalRav

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Still struggling with this sunken belly disease. Any tips and or hints to heal this problem? I've been soaking their food inside of PraziPro and also adding it to the water as well. Few have been dying off, though the rest can't get knocked up and or gain weight.

Water parameters. Hardiness, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph, Ammonia levels?

What size is the tank, how long have you had it going, how many fish and what kind of fish, is it fully cycled?

In addition to water parameters are you adding any water treatments or fertilizers. Also what food are you feeding your fish?

Fish normally only eat aquatic algae, plants, or other aquatic insects and animals. They don't consume food that grows on dry land. Some common human foods are known to be toxic to some land animals. Chocolate, onion, garlic, sugar, coffee are some that come to mind.

If you are feeding them something that doesn't naturally occur in an aquatic environment, I would recommend discontinuing using it. Also don't assume a food is safe it they eat it. They don't know what is safe and toxic and sometimes it toxic foods may test good.

Tank Size: 15 gallons
Species: Guppy.
Amount: 6 fish.
Food: Dry flakes and or soaked tube flex worms inside of medicine.
Ammonia 00.2 or less
Hardness: 5.4, usually
I do add in tank salt and water conditioner.
Water Temp is 82.

It's always after the female have their fry that they get skinny. (No sign of grvid spot after)
I do large water changes once a week.
None of their food is live.
All fish are store bought.
The tank has been running for at least six months or so now.

Still struggling with this sunken belly disease. Any tips and or hints to heal this problem? I've been soaking their food inside of PraziPro and also adding it to the water as well.

Wikipedia has an article on this parasite removal medication and a list of side effects:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praziquantel

How long have you been using this medicaiton and did you ever have any obvious signs of parasites? some of the listed side effects for people could look like wasting disease. IF you have been using this constantly for weeks it might be time to try stopping it.

They seem to be doing fine now, their poop is less clear and the males are happily chasing after the females. I know that when the water conditions are not good and or if they are sick they will not mate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back