Wasting Disease

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Apolloefc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I wrote on here a few weeks back regarding my Rummy Nose Tetras appearing to literally waste away. Now one of my bigger platys appears to be a bit slimmer than usual. Obviously this could be anything, however her top fin is down and she looks miserable and her usual companion is off harassing other fish. I shall be keeping an eye on her but does anyone know what this could be and how to possibly treat it if it has spread?

Thanks alot

A fish looks really skinny can mean old age, fish tb, internal parasites to flukes, even velvet can cause a fish to lose weight.
Signs of internal parasites are long stringy white poo, being really thin, or bloated, enlarged anus, to red and inflamed anus,
worms prutruding from the anus.

I've read up and fish TB is not quite right, some similar some not. I am unable to tell if the anus is swelled on the platy yet, plus its bright orange as well!! However, the rummy noses all had red anus's look almost like another eye to be honest. If it is indeed some sort of parasite how do i deal with it?

I;ve had all the usual fish illness's before but nothing like this.

Ok sounds like internal parasites if the fish was skinny, red anus, did you notice any long stringy white poo.

From the platy no. But I can't say I saw the rummys poo too much. But i don't recall anything out of the ordinary.

i am sorry to be so blunt, but my practice now is any fish with the "skinnies" is removed and destroyed.

Had a bad experience with some livebearers a year or so back.

From what i know about the possible reasons for fish losing so much weight, its not something i fancy risking the rest of the tank with.

I know it sounds a little harsh, but for me the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few (or needs of one)

PS - i am talking about quite severe weight loss. I make allowances for stress and fish not eating or losing a bit of weight.

I've tried hospital tanks for the emaciated before with different treatments, didnt work

I've only had this problem with live-bearers (100% LFS ones too) and one zebra danio

The thing is though they infect the other fish so you have to treat anyway.
That why I say to members if there thinking of keeping guppies make sure you cant get hold of an internal wormer for camallanous worms.
Internal parasites damage the organs and cause bacterial infections, if a fish is infested with them the damage has already been done, so the wormer to late fro some fish but not all of the fish.

Possibly, it depends what the cause is, you need to know what you are treating

I dont risk a corpse in the tank, which would increase the risk of transmission of some diseases (through canabilism)

Also, fish with skinny's get weak and are picked on.

Once a fish's immune system is compromised like many imported livebearers (thats my belief - not facts) then even if a fish does have a disease doesnt mean its going to be transmitted to other healthy (not all diseases)

I agree with treating tank, but what are you treating? If can get a diagnosis or a good educated guess then ok, treat away

Well all the fish in question have been placed in a seperate net for now. Ill be off to the fish shop tomorrow for some meds, mainly as a precautionary measure for the others

I( do a agree with fry lover once they get to the state of looking like a skelton the damage been done and the wormer to late, but you can save the others.

I( do a agree with fry lover once they get to the state of looking like a skelton the damage been done and the wormer to late, but you can save the others.

yeah id agree with that they looked too ill to come back from to be honest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back