Wanting To Start My Own Business

Gurglar

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm wanting to start my own LFS that primarily is a freshwater store as i'm not really knowledgable in the saltwater department but may upgrade to that if things go well. The store would also sell everything to do with fish keeping and including lots of aquatic plants, soils, fertilisers, lights as there is no LFS here that sells stuff to do with planted aquariums or has any supplies to get one started, it would also include things to cycle tanks and information on whats involved in fish keeping, foods (pellets, flakes, frozen etc.) and all the accessories to go with the hobby.

Now I have absolutely no idea in whats involved to get a business up and running but i'm only 20 and am in no rush at all to get one started as i'd rather do it right the first time, i'm also located over in Australia so no competion for you UK store owners :)

Now i'd like to know how you actually go about starting a business not necessarily a fish store but any business at all as I don't even no the basics??

I'm also currently looking for another job and am thinking of getting a job in one of the local pet stores just to get an idea on how they run things like filtration, suppliers etc. to keep everything up and going smoothley as I wouldn't have an idea about that either and see how they keep themselves up to date and successful.

So yes if anyone has any suggestions they can tell me it would be greatly appreciated :)
 
Also is it worth all the time and effort in the long run and how long did it take people to be well established and making some money out of there shop?? Do you still think it was worth starting up and working for yourself??
 
I must admit its a dream of mine one day to own and run a LFS.

One that gives good advice (not saying there all bad but you do hear time after time story's of LFS giving poor advice just to get a sail or through ignorance)

Its a huge undertaking I would think that RESEARCH is the keyword to start.

You need to start getting an idea of how much it will all cost and work out a business plan.

Unfortunately I cannot help here as it is something I have very little knowledge in


Finance is a big thing the costs of getting a property setting it up and stock then a reserve of money to bide you over until your store is established. Advertising revenue wage bills, electricity bills along with all the other bills you will mount up. You will need to eat and sleep some where and it all costs money but I don't have to tell you that.

You need to start getting an idea of how much it will all cost and work out a business plan just a quick search on google brings up an astonishing amount of information.

Unfortunately I cannot help here as it is something I have very little knowledge in.

Do you know anyone that has a successful business? Ask them how they done it as they say why reinvent the wheel!

I do hope you get some more posts I am sure there are successful business people in this forum that could give you a clue and a positive direction to head in.

I really hope you are successful :good: and if you get it all worked out let me know :good:

Good luck onebto.
 
thanks mate has anyone else got anything to add??
 
Make sure the market is there before spending any money on the actual business. Find out what people are looking for at the other stores, what they sell and don't sell.

In my area, live food is unheard of, and it's rather annoying. But my local owner says it's not even worth his money and time to store any. Town of 70,000 people with plenty of towns around it and I'm basically the only person to ask about it in the last two years.

Just something to think about, and the one thing keeping me from starting one up in my area.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top