Wanting To Start A 5gallon Nano

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
hi, i havent done a planted tank before not even a nano, i have a 5 uk gal tank with plastic hood that im hoping to house 2 small flourescent tubes, so looking at these nanos they have inspired me to start my own.

I will buy a small filter (maybe a hangon), lighting unit (what would be sitable) and a micro heater, and i will paint the back of the tank black.
I was hoping to use DIY CO2, would it be cheaper and more worth while to use diy or a co2 kit?

i already have plain sand ready and some clay plant balls i have left over which i will use.
i was thinking of having a rock as the centerpeice with some sort of micro tall plant (if you know what i mean) :rolleyes:at the back, is there such plant as micro vallis or something?, and maybe some ground covering plant, and i really like those floating lilly plants (what are they called) :blush:

As you can probably tell im not used to planted tanks, or plants for that matter, and not sure whats needed to accomplish this.

any help would be much appreciated. :good:

hi, i havent done a planted tank before not even a nano, i have a 5 uk gal tank with plastic hood that im hoping to house 2 small flourescent tubes, so looking at these nanos they have inspired me to start my own.

I will buy a small filter (maybe a hangon), lighting unit (what would be sitable) and a micro heater, and i will paint the back of the tank black.
I was hoping to use DIY CO2, would it be cheaper and more worth while to use diy or a co2 kit?

i already have plain sand ready and some clay plant balls i have left over which i will use.
i was thinking of having a rock as the centerpeice with some sort of micro tall plant (if you know what i mean) :rolleyes:at the back, is there such plant as micro vallis or something?, and maybe some ground covering plant, and i really like those floating lilly plants (what are they called) :blush:

As you can probably tell im not used to planted tanks, or plants for that matter, and not sure whats needed to accomplish this.

use diy co2 get 3-4 watts of light per gallon and buy a plant called glosstigma (ground cover)hair grass, nothing broad leaf it takes away from the balance of small narrow leafs suitable for your small tank.light maybe a compact florescent 36 watt

use diy co2 get 3-4 watts of light per gallon and buy a plant called glosstigma (ground cover)hair grass, nothing broad leaf it takes away from the balance of small narrow leafs suitable for your small tank.light maybe a compact florescent 36 watt

3-4 watts is nothing! i have 15wpg on my 3g - 36w pc (power compact) T5 daylight plus, you would need 60w on yours to give you 12wpg witch would be sufficient

what size is your tank, we can then tell you a few plants you could get for background if thts what you mean by 'micro tall plant'

i have water lettuce as floating plant, very easy, un-demanding, only needs nutrients, if leaves are yellow,the it lacks nutrients

Most reactions

Back