The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've been looking into growing house plants in my tank, and I really want to try a spider plant. Now, my question is, is it safe to allow it's roots to grow into the tank where the fish would have access, or do I need to contain the roots in something?

I've been looking into growing house plants in my tank, and I really want to try a spider plant. Now, my question is, is it safe to allow it's roots to grow into the tank where the fish would have access, or do I need to contain the roots in something?
I have a couple of Pothos, Mini Monsterra and Lucky Bamboo growing out of my tanks. Also got an Asparagus Fern waiting to add as well. Just wash the soil off the roots and trim them a little before you add it to the water, find a way to suspend it above the tank which you can do with some bought things like cradles or baskets but you can also just get a piece of stainless steel wire twist it round the stem and then make it into a hook to go over the edge of the tank.

Wills

Hello Fish. The roots of a Spider Plant won't live under water for very long. Pothos, Nephthytis, Impatience and Chinese Evergreen will work.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I have a couple of Pothos, Mini Monsterra and Lucky Bamboo growing out of my tanks. Also got an Asparagus Fern waiting to add as well. Just wash the soil off the roots and trim them a little before you add it to the water, find a way to suspend it above the tank which you can do with some bought things like cradles or baskets but you can also just get a piece of stainless steel wire twist it round the stem and then make it into a hook to go over the edge of the tank.

Wills
With the Pothos, after you trim the roots wouldn't you want to keep the roots in another container of water until they heal since it's toxic?

With the Pothos, after you trim the roots wouldn't you want to keep the roots in another container of water until they heal since it's toxic?
I've not had any problems, though I have to admit I don't trim the roots just wait for them to fall off when they start to adapt to life underwater. There has been quite a bit of debate on how toxic to fish the chemicals the plants produce are and I've never seen conclusive evidence that they are or any actual evidence any harm has come to fish in riparium or paludarium set ups - I'd say I've only ever seen benefits to it check out Plant Life Project and Tropical Fish Hub on YouTube - they are my favourites on this subject.

Wills

Hello Fish. The roots of a Spider Plant won't live under water for very long. Pothos, Nephthytis, Impatience and Chinese Evergreen will work.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Interesting. Every website I've looked at says spider plants do well grown in a tank. But I will definitely look into the other plants you mentioned as well.

I've not had any problems, though I have to admit I don't trim the roots just wait for them to fall off when they start to adapt to life underwater. There has been quite a bit of debate on how toxic to fish the chemicals the plants produce are and I've never seen conclusive evidence that they are or any actual evidence any harm has come to fish in riparium or paludarium set ups - I'd say I've only ever seen benefits to it check out Plant Life Project and Tropical Fish Hub on YouTube - they are my favourites on this subject.

Wills
I've been wondering about this as well, as I've heard pothos is toxic, but I see so many people using it in their tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back