Want To Start A Small Reef Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

juhason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello!! I have finally decided I am ready to try my hand at saltwater tanks! I have a couple years experience but only with freshwater.

So I have a spare 10 gallon and 29 gallon. I want this to be as cheap as possible. Now obviously the 10 gallon will be cheaper start-up cost, but as long as the 29 gallon is not too much more, I'm ok with it.

So which do you think is the better route for me to take? I want to have live rock, soft corals and mushrooms, and a couple fish.
In the 10 gallon I was thinking either 1-2 small clownfish (the smaller species) OR 1-2 damsel fish OR 1 firefish. In the 30 gallon I have no idea.

If possible I would like to know all the equipment I would need to get started as well as what lighting you guys would recommend for the corals (also good beginner corals) and stocking suggestions?  Also I am getting a little confused on how to do water changes, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the correct amount of salt back in the tank after I change the water.

Ok so I'll start with your first question then once we figure out that one we can go from there.

As for tank sizes in saltwater a larger tank is usually easier because water perimeters are more stable. That being said a 10 gallon tank can be done my brother has a very nice 10 gallon nano reef that's stunning.

The 10 gallon will of corse be cheaper lights can be smaller, less rock, less sand all of this will make cost lower but if you go with the small tank you will need to do more regular care like water changes and such. Missing a water change on a small tank can be really bad.

Something else to keep in mind is really I'd say the max for a 10 gallon would be one small clownfish and maybe some shrimp.
I'm not trying to get the idea of a 10 gallon out of your head but I want to make sure you know all the things that can be a probelm with nano tanks.

So I'd say decide what size you want for sure keeping in mind the bigger tank will cost more and the little tank will take more time and care. The big tank will take care to but probably not as much.

Once we have a tank size figured out we can go from there :)

RRaquariums said:
Ok so I'll start with your first question then once we figure out that one we can go from there.

As for tank sizes in saltwater a larger tank is usually easier because water perimeters are more stable. That being said a 10 gallon tank can be done my brother has a very nice 10 gallon nano reef that's stunning.

The 10 gallon will of corse be cheaper lights can be smaller, less rock, less sand all of this will make cost lower but if you go with the small tank you will need to do more regular care like water changes and such. Missing a water change on a small tank can be really bad.

Something else to keep in mind is really I'd say the max for a 10 gallon would be one small clownfish and maybe some shrimp.
I'm not trying to get the idea of a 10 gallon out of your head but I want to make sure you know all the things that can be a probelm with nano tanks.

So I'd say decide what size you want for sure keeping in mind the bigger tank will cost more and the little tank will take more time and care. The big tank will take care to but probably not as much.

Once we have a tank size figured out we can go from there
smile.png
Ok so I went to the fish store today to ask the manager some questions about starting a reef tank.....he was appaling. I could tell right away he was just trying to sell and not actually trying to give me proper information. "The thing about a 10 gallon is that the filter you need for it is just the same as the one you need for a 75 gallon... the cheapest filter I have for a 10 gallon is $300. It would be much cheaper for you if you by this all inclusive package -which was conviently placed-" to which I said I did some research and never saw anything about a $300 filter. He then proceeds to tell me the internet is a bunch of lies....alright then.

Anyways after looking at the price of corals..... I don't think it can fit in my budget. Maybe he was overpricing his corals too?  The cheapest one I found was like $30 and it was the size of my thumbnail. 

So if I do a fish only tank I think the 29 gallon would be ok for me then. Would I still need live rock??

You would still need live rock and you can always add corals later once the tank is going and you know more. So for a now a fish only np tank would be just fine. And that store sounds way over priced and poorly managed. Most soft corals are pretty cheap mushrooms and the like can usually be gotten rather cheap from both stores and other reef keepers so you just have to find the right place.

RRaquariums said:
You would still need live rock and you can always add corals later once the tank is going and you know more. So for a now a fish only np tank would be just fine. And that store s ounds way over priced and poorly managed. Most soft corals are pretty cheap mushrooms and the like can usually be gotten rather cheap from both stores and other reef keepers so you just have to find the right place.
Yes I do think it is very overpriced. There's one other place that I know has corals I'll have to check that one out, hopefully with better luck. So I'm still trying to decide what fits better with the aesthetic of my room, the 10 or 29. I guess the most important thing I need to know is what lighting would you recommend for the 10 and the 29? That way if I decide to add corals I would have the correct lighting. 

Well not to overwhelm you with info since lighting is one of the more confusing aspects of a reef tank I'll try to put it in a short easy to understand way.

On a smaller tank like those you basically have two choices LEDs or high output t5 lighting each comes with its own set of pros and cons.

LEDs are usually a bit more expensive to start up since the initial fixture is more costly but they make up for this by costing less to run in both electricity and not having to replace bulbs. If you get a higher end fixture they can grow several types of corals depending on the strength of the lights and how big it is. In a nano tank like the 10 gallon I'd suggest an LED fixture it's easer to run and a 10 is shallow so you don't need a super powerful light that means you can spend more money on a nice light then a super powerful one.

High output T5 lighting is also a good light source and are usually pretty cheap to buy when compared to LEDs that's not always the case depending on how nice a fixture you get though. The down side to them is they run rather hot and need the bulbs changed every 6 months or so to keep the corals growing this adds cost in bulbs every few months on a smaller fixture for a 10 gallon it won't be insane but your probably looking at 15$-20$ In bulbs every six months another drawback is they normally use more power then LEDs which also adds cost to them beyond the fixture cost. T5s are great lights and work very well over coral but LEDs IMO are much easier to use and cheaper to operate in the long run.

The only thing that changes in lighting from the 10 gallon to the 29 gallon is you will need a bigger light fixture that is more powerful so it can reach the bottom of the tank.
Soemthing to keep in mind is while you only have fish in the tank there is no need for strong lighting so a regular fish light will work just fine and in fact is suggested so you won't get algae growth with the stronger lights.
So you can set up a tank get fish and learn to keep them and the tank while saving up for a light that is capable of growing corals.

Do it!!!!  Take it all the way.  Go with the 29...  

RRaquariums said:
Well not to overwhelm you with info since lighting is one of the more confusing aspects of a reef tank I'll try to put it in a short easy to understand way.

On a smaller tank like those you basically have two choices LEDs or high output t5 lighting each comes with its own set of pros and cons.

LEDs are usually a bit more expensive to start up since the initial fixture is more costly but they make up for this by costing less to run in both electricity and not having to replace bulbs. If you get a higher end fixture they can grow several types of corals depending on the strength of the lights and how big it is. In a nano tank like the 10 gallon I'd suggest an LED fixture it's easer to run and a 10 is shallow so you don't need a super powerful light that means you can spend more money on a nice light then a super powerful one.

High output T5 lighting is also a good light source and are usually pretty cheap to buy when compared to LEDs that's not always the case depending on how nice a fixture you get though. The down side to them is they run rather hot and need the bulbs changed every 6 months or so to keep the corals growing this adds cost in bulbs every few months on a smaller fixture for a 10 gallon it won't be insane but your probably looking at 15$-20$ In bulbs every six months another drawback is they normally use more power then LEDs which also adds cost to them beyond the fixture cost. T5s are great lights and work very well over coral but LEDs IMO are much easier to use and cheaper to operate in the long run.

The only thing that changes in lighting from the 10 gallon to the 29 gallon is you will need a bigger light fixture that is more powerful so it can reach the bottom of the tank.
Soemthing to keep in mind is while you only have fish in the tank there is no need for strong lighting so a regular fish light will work just fine and in fact is suggested so you won't get algae growth with the stronger lights.
So you can set up a tank get fish and learn to keep them and the tank while saving up for a light that is capable of growing corals.
Ok thank you! I'll take a look into LED lights!

kevingrods said:
Do it!!!!  Take it all the way.  Go with the 29...  
I am debating though, I have a certain feel and look I want in my room and I don't know if that will be acheive through simple but nice (one clownfish) or flasy (a mix of fish).

I say bigger too! We like fish too much, so we decorate *around* our tanks! ;)
I do think a micro could be stunning, but like RR was saying, larger tanks are easier to stabilize. It's not impossible and I think you could have a great smaller tank if you put work into keeping the water in great shape.
I guess the 10 or 30 just boils down to your personal choice but I say MOREEE! :)
Experience: never kept saltwater but I do like fish

i have a 29 gallon fish only tank with live rock. As long as you keep up on the water changes you shouldnt have too many issues. I have about 25lbs of fiji live rock, penguin 200 biowheel hang on back filter, CPR backpack protien skimmer and two powerheads to prevent any dead spots around the tank and rock.

AmtotheBurr said:
I say bigger too! We like fish too much, so we decorate *around* our tanks!
wink.png

I do think a micro could be stunning, but like RR was saying, larger tanks are easier to stabilize. It's not impossible and I think you could have a great smaller tank if you put work into keeping the water in great shape.
I guess the 10 or 30 just boils down to your personal choice but I say MOREEE!
smile.png

Experience: never kept saltwater but I do like fish
Haha I honestly understand your arguement so well..... I know the struggle of wanting more and MORE fish. I just don't know if I want to go all out right away with saltwater though since they are expensive. 

JayD976 said:
i have a 29 gallon fish only tank with live rock. As long as you keep up on the water changes you shouldnt have too many issues. I have about 25lbs of fiji live rock, penguin 200 biowheel hang on back filter, CPR backpack protien skimmer and two powerheads to prevent any dead spots around the tank and rock.
If I also added corals would this be an issue?

Of course you can, but you will need upgraded lighting as well. I have a 24" Current USA Trulumen PRO LED strip light i think is sufficient for some corals which i think cost me around $50.00. I plan to upgrade my 90gal tank to saltwater in the future, as the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep the water params in check especially with saltwater. Plus as i found out once you get experienced with saltwater and more comfortble the bigger you want to go and with a small 29gal theres so much i want to do with saltwater fishwise that i just cant in the 29gal.

Btw, I saw a nano reef tank in my fish store yesterday and I'm now converted. I saw how lovely smaller ones can be. The difference I saw was in the smaller tank there are normally 1-2 fish and they're the focal point. There was coral too and invertebrate, but the fish really shone.
In a larger tank, you almost have to step back to appreciate it as a whole.
I'm converted now. You have my full support for a 10 gallon ;)
If you wanna see a photo I took one because the tank was that gorgeous (and only 8 gallons!)

Just remember a reef tank of that size will take daily routine care. Water changes and parameter monitoring will be a daily event. But if done right it will be stunning so good luck and look forward to seeing it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back