Want Some New Fish!

Jimbo1984

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
269
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cheshire, UK
Hey. Ok, so my current stock is as my signature. I've been holding back on getting more fish as my Keyhole Cichlid has been ill. I recently took 5 Emperor Tetras to a shop as they were born in the tank and I was starting to get over-run with them! The original Emperors I have left are continually aggressive (especially the male) and spawning ALL the time which gets kind of tired. :rolleyes: Also, my Flying Fox has started chasing the Emperors a lot. Is this something to be concerned about? Is it because i'm not stocked enough and it's on its own? Anyway, now my tank is looking a bit bare so i'm thinking some new fish are required. Has anyone any suggestions on good fish that are peaceful, will fit into my set up, are strong and grow large enough not to be battered around by a male Emperor Tetra and a Flying Fox and don't need to be kept in large numbers? Thanks!
 
I tend to favor then goodeid group of fish. Many of them are semi-peaceful in a community setting. They can be a bit aggressive but that would fit in well with your present stock and stock levels.
 
I recently had a school of 9 Calistas Tetra, and to be honest with you they we're complete ####s! I moved them around, tried them in three different tanks and everytime they'd attack the other inhabitants, and when they couldn't do that they attacked each other! Viscious little buggers. Anyway in the end I took them to my local fish shop and he took them back. The point is don't accomidate your tank around the bullies! You have to face the fact that some fish are arseholes lol! It is hit and miss!
 
I would get move the flying fox, as he gets larger he's just going to get more and more aggressive. I've seen a large one actually chase fish trying to suck on their sides.
Haha wow, i would love to have fish spawn so much that i got tired of it =P
Once you get rid of the flying fox you have a lot more options as to more fish u can add.
 
Thanks for your replies. I ended up taking the Flying Fox back to the shop. Still having a problem with the Emperors though! Lost one recently actually. :( Just gone up to the tank now and my smallest one has been absolutely battered by the male and is all bloody. Another was stuck to the filter inlet looking exhausted. The females have been knocking chunks out of eachother aswell recently! What do I do? Also, why does this seem to be getting worse? Is it because i'm understocked? Thanks!
 
Thanks for your replies. I ended up taking the Flying Fox back to the shop. Still having a problem with the Emperors though! Lost one recently actually. :( Just gone up to the tank now and my smallest one has been absolutely battered by the male and is all bloody. Another was stuck to the filter inlet looking exhausted. The females have been knocking chunks out of eachother aswell recently! What do I do? Also, why does this seem to be getting worse? Is it because i'm understocked? Thanks!

Just a thought, is your tank well planted? if not could possibly diffuse the aggression.
 
Yes, I have a good amount of plants in there that break up lines of sight, create sections etc. I took the 2 battered female Emperors and put them in my hospital tank. :rolleyes:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top