Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED
potm-smallbanner.jpg

:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE NOW
We have 7 very cute pets entered into the January 2024 Pet of the Month Contest. View all the pets and descriptions below and then go to top of page and click on your choice for POTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific pet in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted.

You are not allowed to update your entry picture once voting has started.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

You are allowed to change your vote if you wish.

Poll will close on January 31st 2024 at 12:10 PM ET (US).
Thread will periodically be cleaned up for readability

Last edited:
IMG_3497.jpeg

Hi ! This is Peter Domino…. My 5 year old mini Rex rabbit… I got very lucky that I decided to randomly stop into a local pet store one day… spotted this cutie and had to have her. She sleeps with me in my bed at night and just chills near my feet most of the day with an occasional spurt of the zoomies or binkies. That’s where they zip around the room super fast in big circles and then do a little side jump kick move. She is my alarm clock in the morning by jumping on my chest and digging like a dog til I wake up. She loves basil, honey buns, and bananas and blueberries. She loves messing up my bedding then rolls the blankets out flat herself to remake my bed. She knows her name and knows simple commands like “Pete come here” and “Pete go home” when I need her to go back to her bunny hutch in the living room. She’s liter box trained… and she is the softest animal on the planet!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_9500.jpeg

This is Kaia Mae Rose (her second attempt at POTM LOL!). She’s a 6 and a half month old mini Alaskan Klee Kai, paper connoisseur, and the resident menace to our older two dogs! Shes 10.2 pounds of play, teeth, and serenades. She will yowl and howl to make her opinions known and then immediately bite your toes. Shes a snuggle bug and can never ever give enough kisses. Her tail is naturally curly and she struggles to wag it leading to a very lopsided butt wiggle rather than a proper wag. And naturally her favorite hobby’s include tearing paper and cardboard to smithereens. All around 13/10 good girl.

Adopting her was a very much a “Well my first dog’s friend needs a friend too….” Moment. At least, that’s how we justified it to ourselves.

Training her is both the easiest and the hardest out of all the dogs we’ve had. She is highly food motivated and picks up tricks very quickly after watching her sisters do it…. Cons… she is very unabashed about having a clear favorite in the family (it’s not me :’)) and will have a toddler level tantrum if that person isn’t close by.

IMG_0820.jpeg

This is my Guinea pig Eclipse, her name comes from the fact that her face is split down the middle. Her eyes are also two different colors, one is blue, and the other is brown. She has a very soft coat of fur, with an unusual color. I got her in March of last year, and she was about 6 months old. Now, she’s around a year, and still very shy, though she will do anything for some peppers. Her favorite foods are romaine lettuce and green peppers. She has an older sister, Opal, who can be bossy at times, but they get along great! I got her from the local pet store, where she was a bit skinny, but with the use of the right vitamins and veggies, she gained back her weight.

potm-2jan24.jpg

Meet Luna, our Russian Blue (mix) we got from the fine folks at Georgia Homeless Pets. She is about 2 years old, beautiful, regal, and goofy at the same time. She had to learn from our other cat how to meow and how to chew on me (kind of wish she didn't learn that part). She loves people food and is the first one to the bowl when it's feeding time (I think she was stray for awhile). She's just purty! The pic with the POTM sign in it is awful, but I had to get one while she was finishing off my bbq chicken sandwich lol.

20240122_142324.jpg

This is Achak. He is a 14 week old Australian Shepherd. He is a late birthday gift to myself now that I have reduced my work week to 4 days a week and negotiated no travelling for work, I view the changes as semi retirement, giving me a lot more time at home. He is a very adorable yet super high energy puppy who just loves to chew on things, me included.

He is very obedient in most things, and was very easy to house break. His one really big issue is that he likes to herd my wife and I, and this includes the typical nipping coming from the breed. I have lost a few pairs of pants working on controlling his nipping behavior. I had raised a number of dogs but none had the same drive to herd that he does, but it is getting much better now. He can sit, stay, and come with about 95% success, but his down is still a work in progress. On my days off we generally go for a hike off one of our local logging roads where he hikes with me off leash mostly, on my working days I usually have a training session and a fetch session where he gets to retrieve a frisbee. Otherwise he mostly just hangs with me, whether I am working in the yard, or at my desk.

I have tried to train him like my other puppies I have had but he is smarter than our past poodles and retrievers, and a bit more stubborn. He has needed a different type of training that I am learning myself, that really involves training him using his normal dog food. He does something for me and I give him some food, not treats just his puppy food. Even if the food is on the floor available for him to eat, he doesn't want to eat it without doing something even if it is just a sit. He does get trained without food as well, in particular recall training because I like to hike with him off leash and I don't want to depend on treats or food to get him to recall.

I tried to keep the hiking, walking, down to 500 meters or 1 km since his bones are still developing but that hardly tires him, we are now up to 5 kms hikes and he would do much more if we let him. Other Aussie owners we have spoken to in this area have noted the same with their dogs, so I think it is normal for the breed.

When he is not chewing on us he is very loving, frequently sitting at my feet patiently waiting for a pat and a back rub and scratch. He has become a full member of the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back