🐡 FOTM VOTE NOW - April 2026 Fish of the Month Contest(Corydoras)

VOTE NOW - April 2026 Fish of the Month Contest(Corys)


  • Total voters
    41
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

connorlindeman32 32

Plantman
Fish of the Month 🌟
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Supporting Member ⭐
📋 Contest Moderator
Joined
Nov 18, 2021
Messages
5,317
Reaction score
6,460
Points
113
Location
37.2431° N, 115.7930° W
fotm-banner-small.jpg

:fish: :fish:​
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 8 awesome fish entered into our April 2026 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific entry in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted.
You are not allowed to update your entry picture once voting has started.

Please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on May 1 at 8:15 AM ET (US).

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.
 
Last edited:
20260104_192845.jpg


Hoplisoma osteocarus (formerly corydoras osteocarus)
Species is from Rio Orinoco, Rio Meta, and Rio Atabapo in Venezuela and some areas of Columbia in these river systems.
This species comes from areas stained with tannins, very acidic waters, and a very low GH. As such, I have replicated their natural environment as best as humanly possible by mixing my soft tap water with distilled water to lower the GH to 2°. The pH sits now at 6.5. The temperature sits at 78F as the areas they are native to are hotter than several other areas of South America.
Their habitat consists of sand substrate with a thick layer of leaf litter, with granite rocks and fallen wood, consistent with the granite slabs of rock found in Venezuela and the seasonal flooded forest habitat. The tannins are naturally produced by the leaf litter and botanicals, and as such can vary through water change schedule.
This species is only available in the hobby as a by-catch fish and it is unusual to get a group of them, so I was very fortunate to find some. They are considered a dwarf species based on their max size of 1.6 inches. They are a touch elusive, preferring to hide among the leaf litter, which their speckled pattern allows them to blend with leaves that begin getting holes in them from breaking down.
They are fed a diet of frozen daphnia, frozen baby brine shrimp, and a dry mix of Fluval Bug Bites, Tropical Insect Pellets, Northfin Betta Bits, and Bug Bites Flakes, with a tiny bit of spirulina mixed in (less than 5% of the mixed food)
 

Attachments

  • 20260415_200250.webp
    20260415_200250.webp
    99.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
1776461775801.png


This is one of my pygmy corys. They were recommended to me by the late great Byron. Fun little fish.
They spend more time mid water than most corys. I got them a few years ago for my 29 gallon that they share with my honey gourami, harlequin rasboras, amano shrimp and Malaysian trumpet snails. They sometimes sit on plants or wood or rocks. They also sometimes like to try to school with other fish species.
I'm actually not sure how many I have. In all the time I've had them, I only had one confirmed death and a few babies were born. I like to give them a varied, high quality diet. I think their favorites are baby brine shrimp and grindal worms.
 

Attachments

  • 1776461723926.webp
    1776461723926.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_6430.jpg
Alright, it did take me at least 10 minutes to get a photo that satisfied me. But here is my Peppered Corydora (Hoplisoma paleatum).
I have 6. Sadly, on this day, one died, which is the first death I have had out of my corydoras. Bought them 2 months back. All the others are doing good, and my tanks water parameters are great. But that is another topic for another time.

I love the greenish/copper look that they have, and all the spots. So much personality. They are still skittish of me, and mainly do their digging in the sand in my centerpiece rock/driftwood aquascape. They are my fav, Corydora fish, I take them over Panda corys, which I used to have a few years ago.
I feed them flakes, pellets, bug bites, freeze dried foods, frozen foods, sinking pellets, sinking algae wafers etc etc. Their home is a 20g long, and their tankmates are 10 ghost shrimp and 8 harlequin rasboras
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6442.webp
    IMG_6442.webp
    191.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
1000031899.jpg

This is Mumma Ellie - my longfin Hoplisoma panda (formerly Corydoras panda). She is sitting quite high at her pectoral fins because she is carrying a tummy full of eggs - again. This is very normal for her.
Mumma Ellie is relatively new member of my 160 Litre, semi-planted (in transition to all natural plants), light coloured, fine sand substrate aquarium community, as I've only had her for about 6 months.
After QT, she and the one other longfin panda I traded some of my home-bred chunky founding panda offspring for (to one of my reputable LFFs), instantly settled in to their new home.
Their tankmates consist of about 15 other bouncy panda corys, 6 hyperactive peppered corys, 5 sweet kuhli loaches, a large, multicoloured colony of neocaridina (cherry) shrimp and Rhubarb the yellow mystery snail.
All of my corydoras are regular, frequent spawners, with the Peppered corys "splattering" masses of eggs on the glass, and covering the bottom of my Anubias leaves almost daily. It is hectic!
What makes Mumma Ellie special is this: Unlike my also much loved other Mumma pandas, who fertilise one egg at a time - up to between 10 - 20ish per session, Mumma Ellie consistently holds and fertilises two eggs in her fins, laying up to 50 eggs per session - sometimes every 2 days!
Rather than slow her down, as can happen, Ellie's long, flowing fins seem to give her extra speed and manoeuvrability when avoiding the 4-5 swarming males who compete for her 'favour', adding a beautiful element of grace to the frantic, often rough-looking mating dance of this incredibly entertaining species of fish.

I don't do anything to deliberately 'trigger' spawning conditions. It can only be attributed to diet, biological conditions and quality of life (happy little fish).
Their diet is varied and needs to cater to the needs of each species and includes the following: Fluval Bug Bites (for bottom dwellers); Hikari branded sinking wafers, micro pellets, vibra bites, mini algae wafers, first bites and shrimp cuisine; Dymax Bottom Feeder Elite sinking mini wafers; Aqua Natural dried blood worms and Ocean Nutrition shrimp wafers - all in moderation. I usually have frozen BBS and Blood Worms on hand, and hatch my own BBS (mainly for the many fry and juvenile corys in the other 4 tanks), and they love chasing them down a couple of times a week.
Water quality is taken care of most efficiently by the Aqua One 'Aquus 1000' canister filter, cleaned about every 6 weeks, approx 30% water changes every 2 weeks, with evaporation top-ups every few days. I treat tap water with Seachem Prime before adding it. Indian Almond (Catappa) Leaves and Alder Cones take care of browsing material, and I have attached Dwarf Anubias and some tall growing leafy plants (hydro/limnophila?) to a great piece of driftwood, potted hair grass and plenty of floating Wisteria as a beginning to the transformation from an artificial to natural aquascaped environment. PH neutral, Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate varies at less than 10 ppm.

Thank you FF for choosing Corydoras as FOTM, and thank you all for reading
 

Attachments

  • 1000031560.webp
    1000031560.webp
    157.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2430.jpeg

Hello, this is my sterbai corydora! He's very active (which was the reason he caught my eye) and I believe that he has some sort of mouth deformity that thankfully doesn't impact his quality of life. These pictures of him were extremely hard and quite frustrating to take, and as you can see, he currently lives in a 29-gallon aquarium with gravel and live plants, though I will be changing the gravel to sand and renovating the tank in the near future. He's been with me for almost a year now and by far my most successful corydora that I've had. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2437.webp
    IMG_2437.webp
    89.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_9875.jpeg

This is one of my current Panda Corycats (Hoplisoma panda)….new genus from what was Corydorus. It lives in a group of 7 in a tank with my 9 Gold Blue Eyed Congo Tetras and one Electric Blue Marbled Angelfish.
I feed them a few Aqueon Shrimp Pellets daily, but they really love the Hikari Micro Pellets that get past the Congos and the occasional freeze dried black worms that get by the Congos. NOTE: in the pic with the handwritten note, there is a resin/plastic/rubber hollow log half with a drilled hole on top. This is so I can run a tube down to that hole and drop the larger pellets into the hole for the Corycats preventing the Congos from snatching them up…..stealing them from the Corycats.

33g Tank: 78 F temp, 7.8 pH, 2-5 GH and KH, Lighting…AquaSky 3.0, Filtration….AC 70 HOB, 1 Airstone, 2 Finnex HMX 150w Heaters (one as backup [set to 75degrees] in case the primary one [set to 78 degrees] fails), primary heater is hooked up to a BlueLine Controller.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9903.webp
    IMG_9903.webp
    320.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:
20260303_073716(1).webp

This is my precious Salt & Pepper Cory called Pepper. He lives in a 10g tank of mixed tetra, sparkling gourami, 2 pygmy corys and 2 bronze corys who are huge compared to this little guy! His markings are beautiful. He likes to feed on corydoras pellets and flakes and does well on Fluval Stratum substrate. He did have a little mate but he sadly died. I am going to get him some friends as soon as I can, but they are hard to find and tend to sell quickly.
 

Attachments

  • 20260422_065529(1).webp
    20260422_065529(1).webp
    143.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
This is my albino long fined peppered Cory - Hoplisoma paleatum,
PXL_20260422_084533330.webp


She's in my fluvial roma 125 with some albino bronze Cory, a ninja wood cat, a flash pleco and a some schooling fish.

I brought her in a special offer with some other albino peppered corys however the others suffered with different health problems and have passed away. She seems to get on with my albino bronze Cory even though they are different species. I've been trying to get her some friends of her species but they have gone up in price so I'm just waiting for them to come back down. The tank is heavily planted and gets feed twice a day with a mixture of flakes, pellets, algae wafers and frozen food. it's also gets weekly water changes.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260422_084406710.webp
    PXL_20260422_084406710.webp
    209.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
End of Entries:
Slowly scroll upward as you review the 8 awesome entries and then in the poll at the top of this thread, click on your choice for Fish of the Month. Be sure to click the CAST button to register your vote.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back
Top