Vote Now! - April 2022 Fish of the Month Contest (Cichlids)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vote Now - April 2022 Fish of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Poll is now closed
Fish of the Month
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 8 awesome Cichlids entered into April 2022 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

You are not allowed to update your entry picture or video once voting has started.

Please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on April 30th at 4 PM US ET.

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
DC4A3BBA-29F1-4D5F-B306-1F0B8B25B61B.png

Species - OB African cichlid

Age - 1+

Tank mates - other African cichlids

Tank size - 50g

Name you gave it - OB
Unique traits - one of the most colourful OB’s I’ve ever seen, very playful
Feedings- I feed lots if different types of food including; nt labs cichlid green 33, cichlid bug bites, tetra cichlid sticks, king British cichlid flake, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, blood worm, spinach etc

My favourite fish in my tank. Such a great character and gets on really well with my other fish. I’m (in the grand scheme of things) relatively new to this hobby so winning this competition would be awesome! I put lots of work into my cichlids and care for them very much!

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_5007.jpg

species- Neolamprologus similis
These fish are very unique because they are the smallest of all cichlid varieties. They are endemic to lake Tanganyika. They grow to be a little less than 2 inches. At the moment this one is about 1.25 inches.
age- young not sure the exact age
tank mates- one other of the same species. Not sure of the gender of either. Hopefully male and female because I hope to have a small colony.
tank size- 40 Gallon Breeder
the name you gave it- Don't name my fish :)
unique traits- Just got them about 3 weeks ago so I don't know any unique traits.
feedings- Brine shrimp and daphnia. I try to feed mostly frozen food. Sometimes ill feed flakes.

This species lives in shells and will defend their small 6 inch territory with real venom!

While their colors are sorta dull and definitely not the most colorful of the cichlids, they are a very fascinating species.
If you like this fish please vote for it :)

1650052256984.jpg

species, Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi
age, 2 years old
tank mates, 1 guppy, I female GBR
tank size, 15 gallons
name you gave it, Mohito
unique traits He loves being pet and bitting my fingers!
food, I feed him various food like flakes, pellets and frozen

20220306_192535.jpg

Hi everyone,

This is my male Thorichthys Ellioti 'Castro'. He is one half of my breeding pair who are such fantastic parents.

They share a 5ft 125g tank with Rainbow and Bocourti cichlids, tiger silver dollars, barbs and some bottom dwellers(Pictus & Hoplo catfish, King tiger plec). Castro isnt the biggest fish in his tank but he is the Boss man and keeps everything in check and well balanced without needing to be aggressive.

Fed a good variety of quality foods including pellets, flake and live.

Just a beautiful Central American Cichlid 😍

Thank you for viewing

Last edited:
8ADBB115-E629-4F04-8E60-E460650F51F0.jpeg
Hi everyone,

This is one of my Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpura. They are a small species of cichlid native to Uruguay. They can be kept in unheated tanks, and prefer little to no flow. Note that they are very hard to get photos of, so I did the best I could!

I have six of them, and they inhabit an acrylic 55g tank outside. They also have Xiphophorus Variatus and Flagfish with them. They are about 2” right now.

The tank is halfway filled, and has 6 different plant species. I keep it outside. These fish enjoy seasonal temperature drops, so they do well in San Diego winter. The tank is on a wooden stand built by yours truly!

Since they are an aggressive cichlid, they each have territories. They seem to have a communal space in the middle of the tank, but other than that, the tank is split completely unfairly into sections. The fish pictured here is the leader. To reinforce their territory, they will suck sand with their mouth, and swim to another fish. They will then spit the sand into the fishs face. You could call them perfectionists. They will not tolerate any sand out of place, or any algae in the way. Then it becomes a sand spitting war, usually ending during feeding time! They are fed flakes and cichlid pellets, though they would die for a bloodworm treat!

My plan is to breed these fish. They are rare, and many people do not realize there are cold water cichlids. They don’t realize that you could have a group in your pond. Gymnogeophagus are very hardy. They will tolerate a thin sheet of ice on the tank in the winter. They have great personality, and I hope one day you might have the fortune of keeping a group!

IMG_1682[3875].jpg

This is my male Apistogramma Macmasteri in a planted freshwater 180l tropical tank.
I have had him for 4 months, he was in a tank full of Double Reds and he stood out because he was the only one that was blue/white on his body. IMO he is a very handsome fishie!
Currently he shares the tank with his girlfriend, Rummynoses, praecox rainbows, cories, amano shrimp, retiring neon tetras and an SAE.
He has 3 'caves' and he guards whichever one his small-but-feisty girlfriend is favouring at the time. He gets on well with the other inhabitants and calmly patrols the cave entrance.
They are fed once daily with flakes, pellets, bug bites, frozen foods or live BBS or micro worms. He has a BIG appetite and eats his share before the others get a look-in.

Rotkiel.JPG

Heros sp. Rotkeil
Tank mates: Gold and Green Severum, Parrot fish, Firemouth juvies, Albino and Lemon BN, Electric Blue Acara and a shoal of Cherry barbs.
Tank Size: 150 gallon
Name: Scout

Unique Traits: Gets the "zoomies" at feeding time. Will inspect my cleaning capabilities and will "supervise" to make sure I vacuum enough. Very social, will be front and center for anyone who comes up to the tank.

Feeding: Gets a broad variety. Loves blanched Spinach, zuccini, brine shrimp, blood worms, Rapashi, cichlid pellets, bug bites and steals vege chips from BN.

I have a special place in my heart for Sevs, they are so big and lovely, rather calm and gentle for a Cichlid even with their own species. I love my fish fillets.🤣

20220406_162831.jpg

Here is one of my new baby Turquoise Discus. They are in my 150-gallon tank with a couple of whiptails and some Black Phantom Tetras. I'm feeding them venison at the moment along with Algae Discs and a little flake food. These guys are about 4 inches long so they are just babies. You can follow these guys on my thread

End of Entries:
Please slowly scroll upward as you review the 8 awesome entries. In the poll at the top of the thread, click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

Our TOTM resumes at the end of this month and will feature tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. If you have a tank of that size, we encourage you to enter your tank in the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back