Vine Root Wood - Safe To Use?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Whitey_144

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

i went to Petsmart today to get KH test kit...(they didn't have it), but i did see a piece of wood in the reptile section for sale for £21. Anyway i wandered around and saw a similar piece but much nicer in the aquatic section under 'bogwood' for £5. It must've been in the wrong place, but i bought it for a fiver in case i could use it.

Here it is.

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Whitey_144/Fish%20Tank%20Wood/?action=view&current=DSC01379.jpg

Does anyone know if this type of wood is safe to use? i will do the usual hot water and soak for a week. But usually i always see redwood, mopani wood etc sold, so not sure about this type?

Thanks,
Adam

Hi,

i went to Petsmart today to get KH test kit...(they didn't have it), but i did see a piece of wood in the reptile section for sale for £21. Anyway i wandered around and saw a similar piece but much nicer in the aquatic section under 'bogwood' for £5. It must've been in the wrong place, but i bought it for a fiver in case i could use it.

Here it is.

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Whitey_144/Fish%20Tank%20Wood/?action=view&current=DSC01379.jpg

Does anyone know if this type of wood is safe to use? i will do the usual hot water and soak for a week. But usually i always see redwood, mopani wood etc sold, so not sure about this type?

Thanks,
Adam

If I remember correctly I think, it should be fine.

A fish guy in PJ's pet shop said to me that you can use that type of wood in the aquarium as well.

you got that piece of wood for a good price btw..:)

Um... that looks like Mopani wood. What does your "mopani" look like?

Um... that looks like Mopani wood. What does your "mopani" look like?

thats what i thought! and i why i got it, but its labeled vine root. Maybe because its in the reptile section theyve named in vine root? i dont have mopani anymore, only redmoor now, but it look strikingly similar. The aquatic part were just labeled 'bogwood' but this was the only piece there (by accident). So i had nothing to compare it with at the store either.

Anyone ever use this from petsmart? or anyone keep reptiles and know if they do anything to the wood?

cheers,
adam

[/quote]

A fish guy in PJ's pet shop said to me that you can use that type of wood in the aquarium as well.

[/quote]

good price....i know! :)

is PJ's pet shop respectable? hehe thats good news if people are saying its fine...as long as you trust him?

[/quote]

good price....i know! :)

is PJ's pet shop respectable? hehe thats good news if people are saying its fine...as long as you trust him?
[/quote]

I"m not sure...but I know they are way better then other pet stores in my area.

How would I find out this information? I mean how would i know if the shop is respectable?

I know when I go there and ask question with the workers. they just do scratch their heads in confusion. Like when i went to a petvaule store the other day looking for assassin snails and ended up having to explain to the girl what they are....

getting to the point they seem to know what they are talking about...all the people that work in the fish department keep fish.

[/quote]

I"m not sure...but I know they are way better then other pet stores in my area.

How would I find out this information? I mean how would i know if the shop is respectable?

I know when I go there and ask question with the workers. they just do scratch their heads in confusion. Like when i went to a petvaule store the other day looking for assassin snails and ended up having to explain to the girl what they are....

getting to the point they seem to know what they are talking about...all the people that work in the fish department keep fish.
[/quote]

thats good enough for me! lol

I'm sure it will be fine, i think its actually grapevine root and from googling, there are a couple of other threads, but no negative comments either. So i think i'm safe to use it. thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back