Is this wood safe to use as Driftwood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

MarsFlower819

Reaction score
Hello,

I found this piece of wood by the creek when I was walking my dogs.
I already ā€œdebarkedā€ it and baked it to get rid of the all the bad stuff, and make safe.

Only thing I am really worried about is there is some purple tint on a few sections on it, and I donā€™t know what that is. Should I be worried about that?

Is it safe for my tank? What is your opinion? I have no problem throwing it, if it is unsafe, but I was hoping to use it, but not if there is a chance that it would hurt my fish.

Any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9631.JPG
    IMG_9631.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9632.JPG
    IMG_9632.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9633.JPG
    IMG_9633.JPG
    444.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9634.JPG
    IMG_9634.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9635.JPG
    IMG_9635.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 21
Wood must be a hardwood tree species, and have completely dried out, meaning dead dry. You could cut through this wood to see about the dryness, though that means cutting it in half or something. I don't know if it is hardwood, one wouldhave to see it, but it looks like it might be. Hardwood means trees like oak, beech, maple. No conifers or perennials.

That's the general issues, I have no idea what the purple may be. Other things to look at for are where it was found, if this is anywhere close to a road, or chemicals like pesticides, fertilizers, etc. Substances absorbed by wood can leech out months later, I had it happen once and lost half the fish before we pinned down the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Back