Very possible dropsy case!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishboy_Max

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I recently noticed that my female betta Layla (about a year old) is bloated with stress lines and pinecone scales, typical of dropsy, she is still very active and eats properly.
Tank is 5gallon that has been set up for a year now, it has aquasoil substrate and no stones that could damage her if she decides to rest on them, no other residents besides a nerite snail (if needed can be moved to other tank).
Tank is usually heated to 25°c filter is a sponge filter, plus there is a bunch of anubias, valisineria, java moss, salvinia, and hygrophila (not the best for small aquariums...). Recently I went on vacation for a week and some of the water evaporated, leaving the heater uncovered by water, and the thermo read 23°c.
Hardness is 28ppm
Ammonia is 0
Nitrates is 15
Nitrites is 0.3
Ph is 7.5
I do not have a hospital tank (I know...).
I have various treatment medicines at my disposal (I know they are last resort).
Photos of fish and tank:
20230122_122531.jpg
20230122_122625.jpg
20230122_124632.jpg

Thank you and please help, she is my OG fish and I love her very much.
Edit: forgot to add; "tetraPro colour multicrisp".
I have a mixed packet of high quality frozen food which is a mix of brine shrimp, blood worms and several others I can't remember.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your Betta having dropsy. I understand the feeling more than one of my Bettas have passed due to it and it's a slow and painful process.
Unfortunately for dropsy cases, most don't survive, and often the kindest thing you can do is euthanize when they become to painful.
To keep her most comfortable, I would recommend lots of water changes for right now until another member can give better advice.

Most reactions

trending

Back