Very new!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ChrisLincs

Reaction score
So I starter working at a company fish store which are based near where I live, and anyway before I started I had no interest in fish or set ups. After about 3 weeks I am slowly catching the bug, and just thought I would as you pros where should I start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Step one: Never believe anything anyone attempting to sell you fish or fish equipment tells you.
Step two: Listen to the consensus of opinion from this place.
Step three: Bookmark this place and seriouslyfish.com
Step four: Ignore me on livestock and equipment issues. I know nowt.
Step five: Have fun.

Hi welcome to the forum I would read seriously fish thoroughly to learn about as many fish as you can. Iā€™d learn about the cycling process so you can understand the nitrogen cycle and fish less cycling and get a thorough understanding of water hardness and what itā€™s like in your area and what that means for the fish you sell.

also ask as many questions as you can here :)

:hi:

Would actually start off with knowing what your water supply hardness and ph is.

Can find that out from your water providers website, usually under water quaility or water hardness report or something akin to that.

And then look into where you would like to put a possible tank, usually in an area where there is no direct sunlight, not too much human traffic going past, not particularly near doors that gets used constantly in opening and closing throughout the day, near power supply plugs and not a million miles away from a sink, taps or bathroom for those water change days.

Once you have your possible location for a tank, you can then consider whats the biggest tank that can fit into that space, working in a company fish store will probably do you good deals there for a decent tank.

Then once you know what sized tank you can fit within the space and your budget, you can then start researching what kind of fish you would like that suits your tank size and water hardness and ph, quite important that last part.

Website Seriously Fish is pretty good for researching in to fish compatibility for your tank size and water parameters.

And finally while you're reseaching and have a tank in place etc, you can then do a fishess cycle to make the tank and filter safer for your water for your livestock to live in.

Worth reading this article on cycling tanks if you do not already know of this from working at your company fish store.

And last points, a water testing kit is pretty much essential, for testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, would recommend API Freshwater Master test Kit, pretty good value for money and is fairly accurate if instructions are followed properly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000255NCI/?tag=

And youll need a ammonia source for the fishless cycle, Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride is fine to use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006MP4QG6/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Would actually start off with knowing what your water supply hardness and ph is.
This and then decide on which fish you like. Some fish come from hard water and others from soft water. If you know the pH, GH and KH, you can then choose fish that are suitable for your water, or you can look into modifying your water to suit fish.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your tips, hopefully, this will help me to get started.

As mentioned above the benefits for working in an aquatics place is I get to see all the tanks they have in store and get some good discount on them, which is a bonus as I have seen the prices on them and they are not cheap ;);)

If I was you Iā€™d ask the mods to allow a name change.
Your first name, Town, county are all visible. If a boss should have a post drawn to their attention there could be trouble ahead.
Im guessing we can all figure out which chain it is already if itā€™s a general pet one.

For that advice Iā€™ll allow you to give me staff discount on everything, fish stuff, cat stuff for the feller in my avatar and dog stuff when we get one on retirement......but at my local store.
BTW tell them to look on the tank bottoms of the top row as thereā€™s nearly always a corpse there and the staff are too small to see em.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back