Very Ill Mbu Puffer

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi..i have a very sick mbu puffer...Riley is over 1ft in size but not sure of his age...i have a huge 6ft bow fronted tank with 4 large filters plus under gravel filter..the tank is always crytsal clear and perfect water conditions...BUT...last week noticed Riley was on his side just laying on the bottom of the tank...so done quick water test..the ammonia was of the scales !!! i have not got a clue why...i have a 2ft pink finned Arowana..2 breeding pairs of Frontosa's...albino plec...royal plec..and2 kissing pinks..so not a lot for a tank this size..and all are very happy and healthy fish...has not affected these fish..i have done a 90% water change the last 3 days...also put Ammo lock in last 2 days...and water is perfect again...but the MBU has been affected badley...he has been on the bottom of the tank 4 days now..he is on his side and cannot get up...although he does try every now and then ..he just cant swim...i am desperate for some advise as he realy is not happy like this..and no puffer should go through this...PLEASE HELP...sharon

This is a joke right?
no this is not a joke...why would you say this !!!!

Because of your horrendous stocking....
how dare u say that! go and get a life! little monster!

dont understand...who is the little monster !!!

hi..i have a very sick mbu puffer...Riley is over 1ft in size but not sure of his age...i have a huge 6ft bow fronted tank with 4 large filters plus under gravel filter..the tank is always crytsal clear and perfect water conditions...BUT...last week noticed Riley was on his side just laying on the bottom of the tank...so done quick water test..the ammonia was of the scales !!! i have not got a clue why...i have a 2ft pink finned Arowana..2 breeding pairs of Frontosa's...albino plec...royal plec..and2 kissing pinks..so not a lot for a tank this size..and all are very happy and healthy fish...has not affected these fish..i have done a 90% water change the last 3 days...also put Ammo lock in last 2 days...and water is perfect again...but the MBU has been affected badley...he has been on the bottom of the tank 4 days now..he is on his side and cannot get up...although he does try every now and then ..he just cant swim...i am desperate for some advise as he realy is not happy like this..and no puffer should go through this...PLEASE HELP...sharon

This is a joke right?
no this is not a joke...why would you say this !!!!

Because of your horrendous stocking....
how dare u say that! go and get a life! little monster!

Ive got one, Its nice, and my fish are perfectly healthy :party:

I can't figure out the last posts...but I'm doubting it has anything to do with Riley. Keep us posted, Sharon...

I can't figure out the last posts...but I'm doubting it has anything to do with Riley. Keep us posted, Sharon...

hi sharoncc...the last post's have realy confused me..not sure what is going on...
i am not happy with riley still like this...
i was at the tankl last night just touching the glass..and bless his heart he tried so hard to get up...he was so excited to see me...of course i was crying as this is awful...i cant do anything for him...and its realy getting to me nowits harder as he knows me and he wiggles and gets all excited but cant do anything...thank you so much sharoncc for being here...its nice to know that some one believes me....and is only interested in riley....thank you

Sharon, you should post in the disease forum, as you may get some useful info. I would think that Riley should either be improving or getting worse. It sounds like there's no change at all. Are you still doing water changes...

Sharon, you should post in the disease forum, as you may get some useful info. I would think that Riley should either be improving or getting worse. It sounds like there's no change at all. Are you still doing water changes...

hi...yes still doing water changes...i do 30% now every day...but the water is ok now...he has not changed at all...there is some improvment in his eye...and he looks realy healthy...full colour back...he just looks so good...he trys to swim but cant straighten up...i think some sort of damage has been done....i can not see any reason why he cannot straighten or swim...when he does get up he just hits every thing...its terrible...i just dont know what to do....i dont realy want to start again on another forum...my start on this one was not good at all and i dont want to be treated like that again....no one was realy interested in riley....i just think every day i will let him go so he dosn't have to suffer anymore...then i think one more day just to see...i dont know what to do anymore.....

It's odd that his colour is good...I wonder if Puffers can get swim bladder problems. PM Wilder, and ask her to read this thread. She helped me with a very sick fish....

It's odd that his colour is good...I wonder if Puffers can get swim bladder problems. PM Wilder, and ask her to read this thread. She helped me with a very sick fish....

oh this is going to sound stupied ...i dont know how to pm wilder...

Sorry, I went to bed after my post. I've just PMed Wilder...she'll need
Water readings for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates
Physical description of fish(symptoms)
Poop description to determine if there are worms
Anthing that you've noticed that may be applicable...

Hello

Bit of constructive advice from experience with the Mbu ( a well experienced fish keeper friend of mine)

When buying a Mbu, you should NEVER EVER just buy a tank that it fits in at the time, and then move it into a bigger tank, and then move it to another bigger tank and so on and so forth

You should start out how you mean to end with these guys

Imagine a thermometer, every time you move that mbu, the thermometer goes up a little, and then again when its moved to a tank, and then up again when its moved yet again, this is basically how their stress levels rise, and eventually it will end up so stressed it will stop eating and die

Their stress level will never drop back to zero of that makes sense

So moving ur mbu again and again and again is actually making it ill

Having it stocked with the fish you have also isnt good news, and yes you are over stocked. I would bet my left arm that the reason your puffer is ill is down to poor water quality

Im not being rude at all, im just making a few points

If it were me in that situation I would rehome EVERY fish in that tank bar the puffer and keep on top of water changes to keep the ammonia down

And ace, you were slightly mean, not every1 has the knowledge you do, so try and cut her some slack, weve all made mistakes before, no one is perfect

hi..yes you are right...and have already put my tank and fish on ebay...upsetting but got to be done...i will keep just riley...he will have a tank to himself as i realy dont want this to happen to him again..his new home will be 9ft long..2 1/2 ft wide & just under 3ft tall...i think that will be ok for him..i just realy hope he makes it..i feel so sorry for him..he is realy trying to swim..but just cant...but i dont know why....i know your not being rude...and have made very good points...i realy am here to listen and learn..i have made a mistake and realy paying for it now...sounds silly ...i have an alaskan malamute and 12 persian cats..and i love riley like i love them...i got angry on here as i was being accused of all sorts ..and just getting abuse from certain mambers...i will need this site for help and advise with riley and his new tank...as i am not perfect and am willing to learn

i know what you mean sharoncc

Did you not read the comments?, 9 foot means nothing at all, What you are essentially keeping is a monster it will need more then a 2 and 1/2 foot wide. Three and a half foot minimum tbh and thats for a grow out. If you felt that sorry for him you would give him up to someone who can keep him, and If you knew about his size already and knew about what he would be like in the future why buy the fish if the last two you had to give away anyway? Stick with fish you know that you can provide for...?

the tank im getting is big enough for him...he is not a monster he is a mbu puffer...being a chicken pervert how do you know so much about the mbu....you are not at all interested in helping me...so back off...your comment above about jesus...DOUBT IT...leave me alone and go play with your own...and the last 2 i gave away was because i moved house and there was not enough room for the tank..but had an extetion built..ohhh how sad am i explaining it to to likes of you..
Oh one more thing..my last mbu Harry is in southend sea life centre and the aro is in a wall to ceiling tank in china...so as far as i am concerned ..wicked i am not!!!!!

Can I just ask something, if you knew the tank size ur Mbu would need fully grown, then why is ur last Mbu at southend sealife centre, and why did you then get another?

I just cant quite fathom why you would give up your last Mbu Harry because you didnt have the room but yet you then got Riley

I know the last thing you want to here right now is slightly negative responses but I feel your actions have been selfish

If you knew how big Riley was going to get why stuff him in a small tank? When I said to you that you should start out how you mean to end with theys guys, Ie not moving them from tank to tank but by getting a tank he can live in full grown, you said yeah you knew that, then why have you subjected ur fish to a small tank?

In my opinion his illness is ammonia poisoning, from what you have said about his health it seems very apparant your filtration is not good enough, your water quality is poor and you are not maintaining the tank

You should know all puffers are messy and give out alot of waste, do you not monitor your water conditions?

As I said in my previous post, im not trying to be horrid, just constructive with what I am saying, I hope you get things sorted

scot...how do i start a new thread...thats a very good idea

Sorry, I went to bed after my post. I've just PMed Wilder...she'll need
Water readings for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates
Physical description of fish(symptoms)
Poop description to determine if there are worms
Anthing that you've noticed that may be applicable...

sharoncc...going to start new thread as soon as i learn how to do it...get rid of all this mess and start again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back