Vegan Recipies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
got ym big sis coming up next weekend, she's vegan..... now i've nothing against vegetarian food but i've just not had a lot of practice at it. Ian's really helped me with my cooking since we got together and he's definately a carnivore so while my general cooking skills are getting better i think i'm gonna struggle without a big lump of meat involved somewhere!!

so any receipies or suggestions you have for nice vegan food please give me them, don't wanna be feeding her veggie burgers and nut roast all weekend.

looking for a couple of proper meals and some sort of buffet/party nibbles type things. :good:

im a vegetarian (not a vegan) and i have to say i love nut roasts myself, always glad to have it on my table :dunno:

i can see how it could be boring for more than one night in a row :lol: is good if youre stuck for ideas one night though.

We used to make a tomato salad at the resturant that I worked at. The only think is that the soy cheeses might be expensive

1 Yellow Heirloom Tomato
1 Red Heirloom Tomato
1 Block of Mozzarella Soy Cheese

1 Small block of Parmesan Soy Cheese
1 1/2 cups Basil
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 clove of garlic

Makes 2 servings:

Take the parmesan soy cheese, the basil, the garlic, the salt, and the pepper and put it into a food processor. While pulsing the mixture stream in the oil. Mix into a nice bright green. Remove the mixture into a bowl. Wipe the processor bowl out and put in the pine nuts. 2 1 second pulses and they will be still nice and chunky for the pesto. Fold in and place in a air tight bowl. Make sure you take some plastic wrap and push all the air out of the container because the nice green pesto with oxidize and turn brown. Place in your refrigerator until you need it.

Take 2 nice plates and lay them out side by side. Take the red and yellow tomato and cut it length wise so you get the center of the tomato in each slice. An example what I mean is this:
gb0icar72q91caonj6q9caacz4.jpg

Take the Mozzarella Soy Cheese and slice it into thin blocks. You can do this if you want but we took the blocks and used a cookie cutter and made a 20-point star design into the cheese slice. Put one slice of red tomato on each plate, but one slice of cheese on top of that put a slice of yellow tomato on top of that, and repeat (with a slice of cheese in between each slice).

Take out the pesto and place 1/2 of the amount into a bowl. Mix in an equal amount of oil per amount of pesto. Take the now pesto oil and drizzle over the cheese and tomato towers. Once done go back to the pure pesto and put a small amount on the very top of the tower. Take one leaf of basil and aesthetically place it on the tower.

Done. Now you just have to do is add a Baggett and some wine and have a nice time. The pesto oil left on the plate is great for dipping the Baggett into.

I was a vegan for 5 years! You can buy vegan mince, "redwoods", I think do a good one, and I think realeat mince is vegan. Spag bol is always good, just make sure the pasta is egg free, and if you cant find a vegan sauce, its easy to improvise with a can of tomatoes and lots of garlic. U can also do garlic bread, get some vegan marge, and mix it with garlic puree.
Stir fries, with tofu insted of any meat you might normally put in. Ratatouille is lovely with boiled potaoes that are then fried. Also did some weird pastry thing with leeks and tofu, but can't remember what that was. Tofu is a wonderful food, its really juicy, and takes on the taste of whatever its being cooked with.
Personally, I think that "Beanfeast" packet meals are the most revolting foods ever thought of, but some people must like it...
Think linda mc cartney sausage rolls are vegan, or if you want to makeyour own, sos mix is good.
A lot of Indian foods are vegan, eg onion bhajis, etc.
There is an absolutely gorgous vegan ice cream around, I think its made by "swedish glace". Provamel do a good range of yoghurts, chocolate puddings, etc, also soya cream, and possibly custard?
If your making cakes or anything, grated courgettes (not the outsides) are a good replacement for eggs to help retain moisture.
If you go into any health / wholefoods shop, I'm sure they'd be glad to help. Not holland and barrets though, in my experience,they don't always know what they're talking abt.
Wouldn't recommend vegan cheese though, it tastes like rubber and smells like old socks.
Personally, I prefer oat milk to soy milk, its not as pungent, but thats only my opinion.
If all else fails, chips and baked beans!!!
Really, most recipies can be adjusted to make it suitable for vegans, its where they slip milk etc into things like bread, that its easy to get caught out. I'm still veggie, and they're putting fish deritatives into bread now. never thought I'd be reading bread bags checking for fish.
Animal free shopping guide is also a good buy if you're interested. I'm definately considering going back to it, its an incredibly healthy diet if your careful, but since we got chickens in the family as pets, I don't think I'd be able to give up eggs now :lol:

cool thanks for the tips people, keep them coming :good:

the tomatoe sauce i do is vegan anyway so can easily make some sort of past type thing, forgot about tofu migth get some in and see what i can do with it.

Don't get plain tofu, it is gross. Instead plan on what your making and get some pre-marinated tofu.

What about nachos made with refried beans? They are great "fun" finger food and go well with a few beers or a couple of glasses of wine.

Anyway this is how i make my version

Take three 400g tins of beans, any beans will do but i use 1 tin of red kidney beans, 1 tin of pinto beans and 1 tin of black eyed beans. One large onion cut into 8ths, two medium sized green chillies left whole, four peeled cloves of garlic left whole, a large pinch of sea salt. Chuck the whole lot into a large pan and add water to cover all the ingredients but 2 inches or so, then bung it on the hob bring it to the boil and then simmer for about half an hour, add more water from the kettle if the pan starts to dry out.

Meanwhile finely chop 1 onion and 4 medium sized ripe tomatos, chuck them into a large frying pan with some olive oil and add a teaspoon each of ground cumin seed and ground corriander seed. Fry them until the onions start to brown stirring ferquently to prevent the mixture sticking.

When the bean mixture is done drain any remaining water off and then add the onion and tomato mixture to the pan, then using either a hand blender (or a potato masher if you dont have a blender) puree all the ingredients together so they form a thick paste. The paste can then be kept until you need it and will keep for a few days in the fridge, to reheat it just add it to a frying pan in portion sized batches and fry it in olive or corn oil until it is heated through.

To make the nachos simply throw a handfull of tortilla chips into a bowl and spoon a few tablespoons of the refried beans over the top, for non vegans add some cheese and melt it under a grill. Then garnish the nachos with guacamole, black olives, pickled jalapeno peppers, fresh chopped spring onions, wedges of fresh tomato and freshly chopped coriander, non vegans can have some sour cream too. Of course all the garnishes are optional so if you dont like something leave it off.

This sounds really strange but adding a TINY amount of coco powder to refried beans for nachos is really good. It gives a twist in the flavor. When someone eats it they wont even recognize it is coco powder but something else that is zingy.

What about nachos made with refried beans? They are great "fun" finger food and go well with a few beers or a couple of glasses of wine.

Anyway this is how i make my version

Take three 400g tins of beans, any beans will do but i use 1 tin of red kidney beans, 1 tin of pinto beans and 1 tin of black eyed beans. One large onion cut into 8ths, two medium sized green chillies left whole, four peeled cloves of garlic left whole, a large pinch of sea salt. Chuck the whole lot into a large pan and add water to cover all the ingredients but 2 inches or so, then bung it on the hob bring it to the boil and then simmer for about half an hour, add more water from the kettle if the pan starts to dry out.

Meanwhile finely chop 1 onion and 4 medium sized ripe tomatos, chuck them into a large frying pan with some olive oil and add a teaspoon each of ground cumin seed and ground corriander seed. Fry them until the onions start to brown stirring ferquently to prevent the mixture sticking.

When the bean mixture is done drain any remaining water off and then add the onion and tomato mixture to the pan, then using either a hand blender (or a potato masher if you dont have a blender) puree all the ingredients together so they form a thick paste. The paste can then be kept until you need it and will keep for a few days in the fridge, to reheat it just add it to a frying pan in portion sized batches and fry it in olive or corn oil until it is heated through.

To make the nachos simply throw a handfull of tortilla chips into a bowl and spoon a few tablespoons of the refried beans over the top, for non vegans add some cheese and melt it under a grill. Then garnish the nachos with guacamole, black olives, pickled jalapeno peppers, fresh chopped spring onions, wedges of fresh tomato and freshly chopped coriander, non vegans can have some sour cream too. Of course all the garnishes are optional so if you dont like something leave it off.

that sounds yummy, shame Ian won't eat beans though :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back