Feeding Adult Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pin it! This is good stuff for us beginners. :) I do have a question though (probably a bit dense). I was wondering...what is the best way to feed fish frozen food. I've purchased some frozen Daphnia (it comes packaged in little cubes). I can't imagine that my fish will need the entire cube. Do I just cut it in 1/2 or 1/4ths and drop it into the tank frozen? Do I let it thaw out? I've also read something about soaking the frozen cubes in some sort of vitamin supplement (i can't remember the name of it). Am I supposed to use this supplement stuff? Thanks again!

pin it! This is good stuff for us beginners. :) I do have a question though (probably a bit dense). I was wondering...what is the best way to feed fish frozen food. I've purchased some frozen Daphnia (it comes packaged in little cubes). I can't imagine that my fish will need the entire cube. Do I just cut it in 1/2 or 1/4ths and drop it into the tank frozen? Do I let it thaw out? I've also read something about soaking the frozen cubes in some sort of vitamin supplement (i can't remember the name of it). Am I supposed to use this supplement stuff? Thanks again!

Some people just drop them in and they will break apart themselves by the water movement and fish nibbling on them...Some thaw their food in nets by running them under water until its not frozen and then feed them to their fish...For me, i feed my fish frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and they dont mind me holdig the cube in the water and swishing it around a bit so that a constant supply (similar to thawing) of the chosen frozen food is produced...

My cat LOVES to eat some fishfood...so I give him a bit every time I feed the fish (because he DEMANDS it!)...anyway, it's a good way to use up fish food by the time it goes stale ;)

My dog eats fish food that misses the tank, mornings get hectic at times. He turned 15 in August, I don't think fish food hurts a dog.

I've a question about feeding fish before putting new fish in the tank. Should you feed the fish before putting the new fish in, after putting new fish in, or wait until the following morning?

I've a small community tank (55 litres / 15 gallons I think) with peaceful fish, 3 leopard corries, 3 male guppies, and now 11 neon tetras.

On a slightly different point, how much use is an air pump in a tank like this?

Love the forum, so much to read.

hi

if your fish will not take a whole cube, by all means, chop it into smaller pices. to use frozen food, you need to defrost it. It is advisable to defrost the food, in a jug with water. once defrosted in about half an hour, pour the contents of the jug, into a fine meshed net. rince the contents of the net, then introduce to the tank. you can also defrost the food in the tank, but some people will advse against it, particulaly with smaller fish.

the mineral suplement is optional, and if you coose to use it, you would add it to the jug of water, before adding the food. you cannot use the suplement if you defrost your food within the tank itself.

regards

Very interesting information, thanks for the advice.

Can you help me further. I have a 125L tank, 3 months old.

I have approx. 25 small fish at present - Neons, Tetra's, Gourami's and Mollies.

I feed them on flake and frozen blood worm.

How much should I give them and how often. The instructions on the flake tin say 2-3 times a day.

When I did feed at this frequency I had a spike in my ammonia levels.

I always make sure all the food I serve is eaten within 1-2 minutes.

Any advice would be handy.

Mark

Very interesting information, thanks for the advice.

Can you help me further. I have a 125L tank, 3 months old.

I have approx. 25 small fish at present - Neons, Tetra's, Gourami's and Mollies.

I feed them on flake and frozen blood worm.

How much should I give them and how often. The instructions on the flake tin say 2-3 times a day.

When I did feed at this frequency I had a spike in my ammonia levels.

I always make sure all the food I serve is eaten within 1-2 minutes.

Any advice would be handy.

Mark

you might want to give them some daphina or tubifex, just to vary the diet

I managed to buy way too much food...

And I mixed the crumbles, the flake sample, and the micro pellets together.

Will fish accept the buffet mix I mentioned above?

P.S. You didn't mention anything about pellets

sorry old thread, but a bloody good en! Spirulina. My LFS doesn't sell it and I checked all the foods' ingredients they had on sale for it. As I was desperate to enhance the colours of my Columbian tetras I opted for Hikari's cichlid gold. Anyone use spirulina to good effects? and in what form of food do you use? :huh:

Thanks for the advice. I have a question-I know-another one! I have some golden barbs in my tank with harlequin rasboros and x ray tetras. The problem is that the barbs are such pigs that they scoff all the food in about 30 secs, before the others seem to get a look in! Any advice? I don't think feeding until they lose interest would work-they're always interested!! :rolleyes:
Carole x

i know of two techniques really.

1) floating and sinking food. Depending on where the type of fish tends to hang around, usitilse foods which float or sink.
2) size of the food. Pellets can be bought in large or small sizes. If your barb has a mouthful (a large pellet) and then you put in some smaller pellets for the other fish, it will give them chance whilst the barb works on its mouthful.

i know of two techniques really.

1) floating and sinking food. Depending on where the type of fish tends to hang around, usitilse foods which float or sink.
2) size of the food. Pellets can be bought in large or small sizes. If your barb has a mouthful (a large pellet) and then you put in some smaller pellets for the other fish, it will give them chance whilst the barb works on its mouthful.
Thanks! The barbs go where the food is-usually snatching off the top before the others can get to it and then chasing them off as it sinks :rolleyes: I will try your suggestion-I suppose they must pause to chew occasionally!!!!

:lol: my colombian tetras are the same.. almost piranha like the way they snatch at the food! But yeh, once they have something they cant swallow in one go.. it keeps them quiet for a minute or two :shifty:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back