Farming, The Environment, Morality And Vegetarians

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Admittedly i own a long black pure sheep skin coat, i have no idea how well the sheep was looked after before it was killed, and probably never will do (on the other hand, i don't think its wrong to wear sheep skin coats- the sheep would have been killed anyway for its meat, might as well use as much of the animal as posible, including using its skin).
I'm sorry to do this Tokis, i admire your dogma and inquiring mind.
But....
The sheep that go on your plate would be killed for meat anyway! Wearing a coat from questionable source/eating meat from a questionable source when the sheep in either instance would be killed for someone, you or not, is obtaining something from the same source and therefore with the same moral (doh!) questions involved..... Apart from the act of chewing flesh.
Surely?
:blink:
RUN AWAY!
Peas....

This may be true, but it isn't the way ethics work. There will always be crime. So do we let crime go unpunished? The poor will always be with us. So do we forget about social welfare? People will always get sick. So do we stop trying to heal them?

Some bad things may be part of life, but the idea of being human (and humane) is that we should try to oppose those bad things as far as possible. Whatever religious or ethical system you believe in, that basic concept will be at the heart of it. Sure, you might not be able fix everything. But you can certainly try.

Cheers, Neale

But in the way that society is now, it is impossible to care and treat with 100% perfect no flawed care for over 35 million cows. Yes you can care but is it even possible? Somethings are just not "in the possible happy zone". There is a hard reality and some things just aren't possible.

We are talking about farming, not how the world works. Social welfare and crime in society isn't even in the same ballpark as this. Thats like saying if you can eat a cow you can eat a person....

Admittedly i own a long black pure sheep skin coat, i have no idea how well the sheep was looked after before it was killed, and probably never will do (on the other hand, i don't think its wrong to wear sheep skin coats- the sheep would have been killed anyway for its meat, might as well use as much of the animal as posible, including using its skin).
I'm sorry to do this Tokis, i admire your dogma and inquiring mind.
But....
The sheep that go on your plate would be killed for meat anyway! Wearing a coat from questionable source/eating meat from a questionable source when the sheep in either instance would be killed for someone, you or not, is obtaining something from the same source and therefore with the same moral (doh!) questions involved..... Apart from the act of chewing flesh.
Surely?
:blink:
RUN AWAY!
Peas....

You completely miss my point- I have nothing against people killing animals for food as long as it is done in a humane manner- i have never said i do have anything against people killing animals for food.
My main concern is the welfare of the animal, and the quality of life it has before it is killed. My point was with the coat, i have no idea of the quality of life of the sheep had before its skin was turned into my coat, its not like you get "free range organic sheep skin" coats or anything like that (or at least i haven't seen any yet).
My second point is that more than often skins are just products left over from the process of killing of animals for food- i think we should avoid being wasteful as much as posible in todays society, and that i see nothing wrong with people wearing animal skins obtained from animals killed for their meat. So many people go on today about how wearing fur is evil and stuff, but i don't see anything wrong with using furs like sheep skins from the animals that would be killed for meat regardless- its better than wasting good parts.

edit: i'd also advise you avoid using the word "dogma" in such a way towards people depending on what you mean by it, dogma can be interperated as "A blind belief in things often without a material base", which can be considered an insulting thing to say to someone at times;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&c...on&ct=title

;) .

Dogma can be interpreted in many ways,
Thats why i used it :shifty: sorry, just being a comedian.
I'll rephrase it ; i admire your conviction.
But depending on your views you can pretty much interpret all human opinion as dogmatic.
:S
Peas.....
:good:

Most reactions

trending

Back