Vegan Food!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Splatter

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Heyy all. Well I turned Vegan this morning and I've so far eaten well, rice :D Oh, and carrots ^^

Does anyone have any vegan recepies I could make and good ingredients I can look out for next time I'm in the ol' Tesco? I'ma look out for Tofu and soya milk especially, black tea is not cool :p

So if anyone can pass some even remotely good ingredient ideas my way that'd be excellent and I'd think you're amazing forever :D

Chris.

yeah iv got a good bacon .lamb a chesse recipie lol no only jokeing
can u eat fish :rolleyes:

im just winding u up sorry
what can u eat then

being a vegen is extremely difficult if you like variation in your diet. You are better of becoming vegetarian as you will be less likely to suffer from malnutrition.

Get yourself an Indian cook book with curries and such in it and a Chinese cook book. You can make lots of Chinese food without the meat/eggs. And lots of Indian food has little or no meat in it.

You can try wholemeal bread, lentils, pasta, canned beans and rice as you basic carbohydrates. Then stock up on fruit and vegetables. Salad sandwiches aren't too bad and you can add thinly sliced canned beetroot and pineapple for variation. Avacardo spread on bread. It depends on what you like.

About the only thing I eat that is vegen is fried rice and vegetable stir fry. Basically just get a wok and throw in a heap of veges and cooked rice and mix it all up. Try to use brown rice if you can because it has a lower glysemic index (makes you feel full for longer).

Make sure you take a vitamin and mineral supplement, calcium, (& iron tablets if you're a woman) and check in with your doctor regulalrly to make sure you aren't suffering any side effects.

Nuts are also a good food to eat.
And try to avoid genetically modified soy products. They might not be good for you.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Drewry - thanks very much for the links! :D I think I'll have to try the lasagne, looks pretty good :D

Thanks for the ideas Colin :D Had my first fully vegan stir fry today and it was good :good: (I've been a veggie since December, so I've done vegetable stir frys before, just I put quorn in then, but now I can't :p) Hadn't considered curries though - I expected most of them would have yoghurt or cream in, I'll try look online for a curry cookbook though! :D

check in with your doctor regulalrly to make sure you aren't suffering any side effects.

Thanks for the advice - I hadn't considered that but I'll be sure to get my health checked up every month or two :D Suppliments are probably good idea too, will have to watch out as some contain gelatine :eek:

Thanks agian guys! :D

for stuff like curries you can use coconut milk instead of yoghurt or cream

You can make vegan sushi, tastes good (its a common myth that sushi is all about raw fish and rice, there's tons of traditional vegetarian stuff)- you can put all sorts of fillings in it like avocado, boiled carrot, cooked mushroom, peppers, de-seeded cucumber etc :thumbs: .

The vegan diet tends to be quite lacking in the essential B12 (which is largely obtained from animal products), without you will suffer nerve damage and other issues like blindness etc, so its vital that you find a way to supplement it in your diet if you decide to become vegan. Info;

<a href="http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12/" target="_blank">http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12/</a>

Don't forget that there are loads of vegetarian meat substitutes, so you won't necessarily need to stop eating recipes which are based on animal products. Most vegetarian meats taste rather bland and vaguely gamey in flavor and tend to go very dry very easily (because they have no animal fats in them to keep them moist), however you can really knock them up a notch by adding stuff like tomato pasta sauce, soy sauce, worstershire sauce, olive oil etc and stuff like chopped tomato's and spring onions, sweetcorn, cooked pea's, grated carrot etc and seasoning like paprika, salt & pepper, oregano, parsley, sage, vegetable stock and gravy etc :good: . You can do a really decent mince for pasta or cottage pie or filling for burito's with seasoned and sauced up vegetarian meats like these :good: .
I'm not a vegetarian myself however i eat little meat (only eat animal products obtained from good sources), partly to help maintain a good body weight and partly because if all i have available to me is stuff like battery farmed food, i'd rather not eat it than eat it. But my fiance is vegetarian (purely because he doesn't like the taste of meat- his parents were both vegetarians and so they never fed him meat and thus he's grown up not really liking the taste of it etc) so i end up doing a large amount of vegetarian cooking for him on a regular basis. Don't forget stuff like pasta, vegetable stir frys, soups, roasted vegetables like potato wedges (sweet potato wedges taste awesome BTW) and peppers etc :good: .

edit: If you do decide to do potato wedges, don't peel the potatoes just wash them thoroughly to remove any dirt on them. Then dry them very thoroughly and quarter each potato (each slice should be about an inch thick) and then dry each slice off with a towel (potatoes are very starchy and if you don't wipe the starch off the wedges will be kinda soggy when cooked instead of having a nice crispy skin).
Place all your wedges in a large bowl and then put a generous helping of olive oil on them, and sprinkle paprika generously on all of them, add a little cumin, and salt and pepper to taste, and then mix all the wedges in the seasoned oil thoroughly (if you have a lot of seasoned oil left over afterwards, its great when drizzled over a salad). Then place them in an oven (which has been pre-heated to 180 degree's C) on a baking tray- make sure the wedges aren't piled on top of each other though, you don't want them touching (otherwise the ones which touch won't be very crispy). If you are just using ordinary potatoes they'll take about 30mins in the oven until they're cooked, if you are using sweet potatoes though they'll only take about 20mins :thumbs: . Then once they're done, tuck in- great on their own or with ketchup or a dipping sauce like a mild thai chilly sauce, or chucked into a hearty salad etc :good: .

my sis and dad are vegan (pair of tree hugging hippies :rolleyes: lol)

from having catered for them in the past I'd say watch out for the veggie meat substitue type things. a lot have some dairy in so you have to study the ingredients quite carefully. can't even have beanfeast!!

i'd say definatley look up indian, italian and chinese cooking. go for tomatoe based curries instead of creamy ones and they'll often be vegan.

i like doing nice pasta sauces for them, roast up a load of vegetables with garlic, herbs and olive oil then blend them up to make a pasta sauce.

oooh, and get a recipie for tempura batter, it's a japanese batter that doesn't use any dairy. then do deep fried veggies in tempura batter for a treat, absolutley beautiful with some sweet chilli sauce. :good:

my sis and dad are vegan (pair of tree hugging hippies :rolleyes: lol)
touche' to that.
damn hippies, turning up everywhere, mannn

just a quick question for all you vegens out there. Why do you want to go vegen instead of just staying vegetarian?

Well i'm neitehr vegan or veggie, but i'll tell you why my dad and sis have gone vegan.

basically the whole dairy industry is tied up with the meat farming industry, a lot of people choose not to eat meat because they don't like the farming practices in this country, by continuing to then eat dairy you are still supporting these practices as the two industries go hand in hand. so if you feel strong enough to vote with your feet (or stomach may be more appropriate!) then really you should cut out both. being 'just' vegetarian is seen as a bit of a hypocritical cop out by the militant environmentalists (not my view i would hasten to add!!!).

what about eggs and goats milk? I know they are farmed but you can get free range eggs and goats that wander around all over the place. These animals aren't stressed or harmed.

Sounds like the place is being over-run by fanatics.
Oh goody, fanatical hippy vegens in the uk
fanatical gun toting loonies in the middle east
fanatical god worshipping loons in the usa
the world is being over-run by fanatics :)

just a quick question for all you vegens out there. Why do you want to go vegen instead of just staying vegetarian?
Well I originally was a vegetarian for philosophical reasons, rather than ethical ones, basically I saw it as 'illogical' to eat meat in a society like ours. Anyway, I became a vegan because I read an article about the egg industry and it just clicked - the way the chickens are treated is actually appauling, I won't go into too many details unless someone PMs me about it, otherwise I'll feel like I'm oppressing my beliefs onto people xD

But basically, 50% of chickens are killed at birth due to being male (males don't lay eggs remember! :p) They're kept in small cages etc etc ^^ Cows are the same.

but you can get free range eggs
Unfortunately the dream is better than the reality - 50% of chickens are still killed at birth for being the wrong gender :p

Sounds like the place is being over-run by fanatics.
Oh goody, fanatical hippy vegens in the uk
fanatical gun toting loonies in the middle east
fanatical god worshipping loons in the usa
the world is being over-run by fanatics :)
Well you know what they say...If you can't beat them, join them! :p

Anyway anyway, I'll stop writing vegan talk :D Thanks very much Colin for tip on coconut milk, I'll be sure to use it :D

Tokis - Thanks so much for the recepie ideas! :D And especially the potato wedges recepie, I know what I'm eating for dinner tommorow ^^ I did try making sushi once..It tasted...So bad :p If I can find a recepie which is idiot proof then I'll be sure to try it again! :good: And thanks very much for the pointer on B12, I'll have to find me some food that contains it :D Would rather not eat suppliments, but if worst comes to worst I guess I'll have to ^^

Also if anyone's interested I've actually eaten properly today :eek:, went shopping so I've got some food in the cupboards again and a couple of snacks, like dried apricots and Tesco rich tea biscuits ^^ Not too keen on the taste of soy milk though...but nesquick solves that :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks everyone for all the help! :D

lol, yeah soy milk takes a bit of getting use to. I spat the first lot I tried. It was horrible stuff. Now I can drink it cold or warm.
Regarding things like dried apricots & other dried fruits, many of them are covered in preservative like sulphur. Some people can develop an allergy to this if the contaminated foods are consumed over a period of time. If you start to get an upset stomach/intestine then drop the dried fruit for a couple of days and see if that makes any difference. I usually wash my dried fruit before eating it to remove most of the preservative.
Vitamin B12 & other B groups vitamins are common in most vitamin supplements. Vegemite (an Australian wonder) has plenty of it. Marmite might also but not sure.
Regarding chooks being killed because they are male. What about a bunch of Japanese quails? They can live in an aviary and run around free range. They don't get killed for sexes and will lay eggs like a chook. Albeit smallish eggs compared to a chook. You can also sell any surplus quails to the bird shops.
You can also keep ducks in some areas and they will produce eggs once or twice a year. They keep the snails and slugs down in the garden, but do make a bit of a mess on concrete :). You would also have to check with your local council and see if you are allowed to have ducks.

Most reactions

trending

Back