Various Neons?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bradley2704

Reaction score
Will neon tertas? (ie, normal neons, red neons, blue neons & black neons) will theese fish school together if kept together or school sepratly??? if so does the school have to be small? in order for them to school together, tried looking this up but found no info, many thanks.

I only have neons, but they seem to school together no matter what... but when I had just 8 they had squabbles and bullying to I upped my numbers and that cleared up the problem.

Different tetras will shoal together, but only out of 'desperation', in the absence of others of their own species. They'll be far happier (and look better, and behave more naturally) in larger shoals of one species.

I can see why people want to do it, to get more variety in their tank, but it just ends up looking very 'messy' in the end.

Mot fish in tanks don't school (that's swim altogether, with co-ordinated movements), unless they're frightened, like when you turn the lights on, for instance. They'll mostly just swim in a loose group. Rummy noses and harlequin rasboras are probably the best schoolers, if that's the effect your looking for.

That's true for mine too, I have 15 and only about 4-5 ever seem to swim in a group at any one time. They do stay closer to each other than my other fish though.

my neons dont really hang out with the black neons, might be too large of a size difference for them

Neons and Black Neons are not in the same genus, thus fairly remotely related.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back