Varied Diet

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All, any suggestions for a healthy, varied diet? I've the world's most fussy cichlids.
Live food obviously disappears within seconds, they will eat frozen brine shrimp (with spirulina) and frozen bloodworm. They only get bloodworm once a week & the rest of the week I alternate between the Brine shrimp & various pellets (floating & sinking), Tetra prime etc. They hardly touch the dry stuff, one totally ignores it. Peas are also ignored, as is cucumber (although the latter is really in for the BN plec). I've tried the whole "starve them for 3 days" thing - but all I got was thinner fish & a guilty conscience.....
I've also tried various other 'Cichlid' frozen foods, but they spit it out. They all seem healthy enough, I just would like to give them everything they need.
Any suggestions?
Cheers. :)

Keyholes & 2 Aequidens Metae. One of the Keyholes will eat pretty much anything, all the others are fussy. One of the Metae will pretty much only eat bloodworm or live food, apart from literally one or two brine shrimp.

My keyholes eat anything, so do my apistos and bolivian rams. I feed them tetra pro colour flakes most days, Hikari Cichlid Gold Sinking Pellets some days, and frozen every other day. and they eat it all. Dont think i have ever seem them be fussy, so I have been quite lucky maybe?

Hi Dan, My keyholes will have a nibble at flake, but that's about it. This is the list of what I've tried, some on their own & again in combinations of some & all together,
Tetra Prima
Cichlid/Arrowana floating pellets (one Metae will take a bit of these)
Aqua-one sinking Cichlid pellets
Tetra floating Cichlid pellets
Discus Special Granular Garlic & Spirulina.
I have very limited, if any eaten :( likewise with peas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back