Vanishing fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hello Iā€™m new here and need help iv been running my tank a while with a common pleco everything fine thing looks like Godzilla I introduce about 6 tetra 6 mollies two briatlenoses and a red tailed shark again everything no aggression tank still over sized for stock I add 3 angelfish and 6 tiger barbs tank looks better but still gallons of free water for Godzilla and his growth rate but less than 12 hours later I have no tetra at all gone not even a body to be seen and one of my catfish has gone , how has this happend the tetra could of been eaten by well almost anything in there but surely the bristle nose wouldnā€™t of been eaten?

What size is the tank? Angelfish need a 55 gallon tank for a pair and need soft water. Sounds like you are overstocked, but we'd need to know your water hardness and size of the tank.

What size is the tank? Angelfish need a 55 gallon tank for a pair and need soft water. Sounds like you are overstocked, but we'd need to know your water hardness and size of the tank.
Tank is 5 ft and 250 litres 60ish gallon and ph is at 7.2 I do a 10-20 % water change every 3 days as I gravel vac , temp is on the cooler side of 70f , there is no dead bodies at all I just canā€™t figure out where my fish have gone or who is the culprit of eating them

Tank is 5 ft and 250 litres 60ish gallon and ph is at 7.2 I do a 10-20 % water change every 3 days as I gravel vac , temp is on the cooler side of 70f , there is no dead bodies at all I just canā€™t figure out where my fish have gone or who is the culprit of eating them
pH does not indicate your hardness, but is a part of it and is too high for angelfish. Temperature is too low for tropical fish, set it on 25-26 ish.
Angelfish are able to eat small fish, I'd give them away.
Do weekly 50-75% water changes weekly if your tank is cycled to dilute out more organisms from water. @Byron

Iā€™m not a fan of the angelfish they are little c*nts but my neon tera were seemingly too large for them to eat the only thing large enough to eat them would be the common pleco but I wouldnā€™t of thought it would eat living fish and I only keep a low temp so it can be consistent all year round as in the winter months even with two heater I canā€™t get much higher in there anyways , I. Had no sick fish all are active and eat well just disappear, I know I keep a semi aggressive tank is it tht neons and guppies as such jist cant live in such a hyped environment,

Plecs won't eat other fish for sure, they'll eat dead ones. If you don't like angelfish then you did you get them? Why? If you don't like specific fish then why you even get them? Angelfish are most likely the culprit of vanishing fish, when they have the chance to eat them they will. If you have the chance today, please give away the pleco and the angelfish, the common pleco gets too big for your tank and angelfish are eating your fish and are aggressive fish.

Plecs won't eat other fish for sure, they'll eat dead ones. If you don't like angelfish then you did you get them? Why? If you don't like specific fish then why you even get them? Angelfish are most likely the culprit of vanishing fish, when they have the chance to eat them they will. If you have the chance today, please give away the pleco and the angelfish, the common pleco gets too big for your tank and angelfish are eating your fish and are aggressive fish.
The angelfish are my wifeā€™s or Iā€™d happily re home them and Iā€™m aware that my pleco will need re homing also , My tank twice the with of him and 5x the length Iā€™m hoping I can keep him for a few more years as I hve grew him from a fry and will hurt to see him gone I like him that much tht Iā€™m filtering nearly 1000l to keep up with his bio load , I would rather get a bigger tank than see him go , wht would you recommend? Heā€™s about 4 years old and a foot long Iā€™m guessing he will max out at 2 feet would you say 150 gallon ? Or still too small

The angelfish are my wifeā€™s or Iā€™d happily re home them and Iā€™m aware that my pleco will need re homing also , My tank twice the with of him and 5x the length Iā€™m hoping I can keep him for a few more years as I hve grew him from a fry and will hurt to see him gone I like him that much tht Iā€™m filtering nearly 1000l to keep up with his bio load , I would rather get a bigger tank than see him go , wht would you recommend? Heā€™s about 4 years old and a foot long Iā€™m guessing he will max out at 2 feet would you say 150 gallon ? Or still too small
That would be the minimum. My brother use to have one in his 75 gallon but donated it to a nature center that had a 500 gallon tank. He was realy cool so I can see why you donā€™t want to get rid of him

I see, I'd rehome any small fish, like tetras for example, get appropriate tankmates for the angelfish like mollies and swordtails.
Common plecos get up to 24 inches I believe, so I believe a 150 gallon should be sufficient, but the bigger the better.

That would be the minimum. My brother use to have one in his 75 gallon but donated it to a nature center that had a 500 gallon tank. He was realy cool so I can see why you donā€™t want to get rid of him
Ok mate thanks for the advice so itā€™s more than likely the angel fish Eating my tetra

Ok mate thanks for the advice so itā€™s more than likely the angel fish Eating my tetra
Yep, angelfish ussaly will if you donā€™t raise them with fish neon tetra size when they are juveniles. but even if you raise them like that they still might eat them.

Would tetra be ok in large schools say 10plus or would they still end up food , and would they eat a small bristlenose catfish I had two at 3 cm n can only find one Iā€™m guessing itā€™s just in hiding as canā€™t imagine it has been eaten but I have had no problems until I introduced 3 angelfish the only things they donā€™t bully are red tailed shark as he is aggressive they try but heā€™s too fast and holds his own and obviously they donā€™t go anywhere near my pleco but they just aimlessly swim about trying to distress everything else , I wouldnā€™t recommend them to anybody unless you keep piranha

If you want a neon tetra look I think you would have better luck with cardinals. No I wouldnā€™t worry about the bristonose pleco
Would tetra be ok in large schools say 10plus or would they still end up food , and would they eat a small bristlenose catfish I had two at 3 cm n can only find one Iā€™m guessing itā€™s just in hiding as canā€™t imagine it has been eaten but I have had no problems until I introduced 3 angelfish the only things they donā€™t bully are red tailed shark as he is aggressive they try but heā€™s too fast and holds his own and obviously they donā€™t go anywhere near my pleco but they just aimlessly swim about trying to distress everything else , I wouldnā€™t recommend them to anybody unless you keep piranha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back