Vallisneria Americana Leaves Turning Red?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Electric Warrior

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, so I have a new 200L tank that has some Vallis Americana from Tropica, along with some Amazon sword, red & green cabomba, and salvinia natans, and all of the other pants are doing fine. I planted the vallis just a little over a week ago. I just noticed today that some of the laves on the vallis plants are turning red, some near the tips, some on the bottom of the leaves, some in the middle. I am dosing TNC Lite as per instructions, using some root tabs, sand substrate, and params are ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-20, PH 6.6. I do currently have fish in the tank. Temp 26C. I am new to a planted tank, so any ideas are welcomed. It's only a few plants affected, and not all.

IMAG0751.jpg

IMAG0750.jpg

Where they are turning red are they in good condition as I've read that some can turn red through good healthy growth?

Yeah, it's kind of hard to tell.... Most of them look okay; some of the leaves have some tears in them, but I think that they came that way when I got them. Like I said, this was only about a week and a half ago. Some of them are already producing runners underneath them. I am also running t8 lights (one Arcadia freshwater/one Arcadia original tropical) for 8 hrs a day.

Just keep an eye on it mate, ages ago I read something about Vallis turning red and I'm pretty sure it said there are types that do that but from experience I've never used it in a scape so I'm no expert on the plant lol.

Just keep an eye on it mate, ages ago I read something about Vallis turning red and I'm pretty sure it said there are types that do that but from experience I've never used it in a scape so I'm no expert on the plant lol.

Yeah, I have seen a red variety of vallis for sale, vallis rubra or something, but I don't think that that is what this is? I purchased this as normal vallis americana from seapets, and they only carry Tropica plants, and generally know what they are doing. :blink:

Well, I guess I spoke to soon as those red leaves you see in the pics snapped off today when I was doing a WC and some maintenance, so I guess they weren't heathy? The rest of the plants, even the ones that these leaves were on, seem completely heathy so I am kind of puzzled?

All you can do is keep an eye on it mate, did they come on the plant or did they grow since you bought it?

Oh yeah then that's basically some old immersed growth dying off.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back