FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!

So I am going on vacation, and we have 2 bettas. I bought some of those block feeders, which says it feeds them for a week. It also says to use in circulated water. I don't have any filtration in the tanks (1 gallon, 1/2 gallon). They won't be fed for about 4 1/2 days. Will they water and them be OK until then? Or could I like cut them in half and just give them that? Thank you!

-Fishperson100

If you are only going for 4 days then don't use anything. Just feed the fish normally before you go on holiday, then let them go hungry while you're away. Do a 50-75% water change each day for a week leading up to the holiday and leave it at that.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Healthy fish can go for weeks without food so 5 days is nothing to worry about.

If you have some live plants in the tank, it can help, as long as the plants get light. :)

Ok thank you! I might just put in a small part of the brick then. I do not have any live plants (I wish though!:) Thank you for your help!

-Fishperson100

You shouldn't even part of the feeding block in. The feeding blocks consist of flake food in layers of calcium. As the calcium dissolves the flake is released. The Bettas don't normally take flake from the bottom so without a filter, the food could rot and cause water quality problems while you are away. You could come home to dead fish.

If you had bigger tanks with filters, then I would still say don't use it. It really isn't necessary and the odds of causing water quality issues while you're away is higher than the fish starving.

Ok thanks, I think I'll do that. I have fasted them for 3 days before, so I won't worry. Thanks so much for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back