Uv Sterilizer

kramers

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
portales, nm
Ok, I just returned from one of the LFS in my area. I had inquired about getting a UV light but was told that unless it is a saltwater setup, it is pretty much unneeded while another shop sais they work well in freshwater. Which one is correct? Should I spend the money and try it or should I use clarifiers to try to remove any haziness from my tank. By haziness, I mean, if you look at the tank from the front, the water looks whitish color. From the side it looks green colored. I'm so confused. :fun: :crazy:
 
I used to have a uv light in my outdoor pond. It seemed to help, but it stopped working pretty quick. Never found out what was wrong with it.
 
I have posted loads in the other topics...I have found it very good...the reason it may have stopped working is that the bulbs only have a useful life of 6 months after that they still light up but from my understanding dont give the correct spectrum of light for sterilaization
 
I don't even know where the darn unit is. I think we threw it out. $100 down the drain :(
 
Too many people with FW tanks rave about them - for them to be useless.
 
They are just as good for freshwater as for marine, they do exactly the same thing - remove unwanted particals in water that filters cant catch. I really want one too. :hey:

In the latest Practical fishkeeping magazine there is a big topic about them, everything u need to know.
 
The topic says sterilizer.... ;)
 
UV sterilizer/clarifier.
EDIT: The haziness I'm talking about can be seen in the avatar.
 
The topic says sterilizer.... ;)


the first line of his question says light DER !!

UV sterilizer/clarifier.
EDIT: The haziness I'm talking about can be seen in the avatar.


i have personally found that the sterlizier has sorted out a "haziness" in my discus tank and its now crystal clear. However, make sure your tank is not in a mini-cycle if this haziness has just occured. I'd hate for you to lose any fish. What are the stats in the tank?
 
well, i guess so long as you havent lost any fish, you should be ok and your tank isnt in a mini cycle. What sort of filtration do you have? Any carbon anywhere?
 
As for filtration I have 2 Marineland biowheel 350 each with 2 filter carts in each. I recently pulled the carbon out and am using straight filter floss. This was after the haziness, which appeared some time ago. Also I do water changes at least every 2 weeks at 20-25%. It looks a little clearer afterwards but soon clouds up again. My next step was to either add in the UV, upgrade from the HOB's to a Fluval 304, replace the fake plants with real or all of the above.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top