Uv Sterilizer Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ranhi3

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just recently purchased a new fish tank and it came with a bunch of accessories one of which being a UV Sterilizer. I am new to the hobby and am not sure how much these things go for, I do not use it and would like to post it up on craigslist but thought Id post this ad to see if anyone could give me a little bit of information on it. I tried doing a bit of research and the closest thing I got was that this company is no longer in service? Is this trash or worth anything?

On it it says, "CustomSeaLife, Inc. 18 Watt-DoubleHelix UV Sterilizer Ballast Assy. 120 Volts 60 Hz 35 Amps"

I do not have any pictures because the pictures were too large to upload.

if anyone knows how much these go for please let me know! THANKS!

If it has a fairly new bulb in it, a UV sterilizer that is seeing the right flow will sterilize the water that goes through it. They are often used to help control green water algae in planted tanks and can be used to prevent disease in small tanks. The algae control takes very little exposure time and can tolerate much higher flows than the control of disease. Unless you have the manufacturer's information, the use of a UV can be a bit hard to predict. The manufacturer will give flow rates where you can expect the UV to be effective against both bacteria and algae.

Most reactions

Back