Uv Steriliser

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I use them and would recommend them to anyone that can afford the units...just make sure you have the right one for the turnover of your filter(if thats what you are going to connect it to).the only down fall i can see is it will add heat to the water passing though if so a chiller might be needed(loads a dosh).

I used to use one & it was great kept the water crystal clear. It didnt effect anything in the tank.

forgot to say if your unit dont come with them,get some jubilee clips.I made the stupid mistake of not getting them and the unit was leaking hell for leather...L.O.L

Here is the thing with UV units, they sterilize the water. Kill everything if set up with the right flow rate. This can be good and bad. For instance it will kill free floating algea and some stages of ich and other harmful parasites - good. But it will also kill any pods or bacteria that pass through it - bad. When it comes down to it I think they do more good than harm and are beneficial. What I would do however is set them up so that all of the water does not pass through it. Split your return and only have part of it go through the UV unit. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Here is the thing with UV units, they sterilize the water. Kill everything if set up with the right flow rate. This can be good and bad. For instance it will kill free floating algea and some stages of ich and other harmful parasites - good. But it will also kill any pods or bacteria that pass through it - bad. When it comes down to it I think they do more good than harm and are beneficial. What I would do however is set them up so that all of the water does not pass through it. Split your return and only have part of it go through the UV unit. Then you have the best of both worlds.

thanks very much. i'd heard that before but wanted more opinions on it. i'll link it up tomorrow. may as well since i bought it! lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back