Uv For Bacterial Bloom?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
Any chance a UV filter can clear up a bacterial bloom?

A UV filter kills anything alive that's small enough to travel though it. So yes it would kill a bacterial bloom.

Yes ... every chance :D

But it'll probably clear itself up anyway, given time. Is it a new set up?

(Iron man beat me to it!)

Its not very new and it seems to break out at any chance it gets (very suceptable to it due to stocking limits). Nice to know if it doesntTa

The UV will clear it but you might end up getting a green water algae bloom from the ammonia that will be released from the dead bacteria.

"" The UV will clear it but you might end up getting a green water algae bloom from the ammonia that will be released from the dead bacteria. ""

it will, problem is you will have to run it constantly until it all clears up and the filter will have to grow to acommodate the extra waste in the water.

Its far easier to just leave it to clear on its own, only takes a couple of days.

Chris

Maybe I didnt write it clearly enough but this is a problem I have very often and for weeks at a time.

Oh i see, ok, well then maybe the uv is a good idea, the only reason the i wouldnt use on constantly is that it creates an almost sterile environment and your fish will be more prone to disease than if you didnt use one.

Can you pin it down to anything, does it happen after water changes or when you use different food?

Also what filter are you using?

Chris

Eheim Classic 2213, does seem to spring up whenever somthing is changed (Had it when I set up the tank for weeks, eventually cleared, then changed to eheim and its sprung up again)...Chances are it will clear on its own shortly but it does seem that my tank is prone to it :) was just a concideration.

Thats usually the cause. Its a tricky one. I found I used to get them with a certain brand of dechlorinator. Dont remember which one though. Try a different type and see what happens.

Apparently its caused by the amount of available organic nutrients that are left in the water after being dechlorinated.

Chris

Happend with both nutrafin and Prime, ill stick with prime for now though :) see if it clears up.

Good idea, try and keep everything constant.

Chris

Just wondering but whats your nitrite reading????

Just thinking out loud here but if its happening every couple of weeks it sounds at though your tank is in a constant recycle????

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back