The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

celaeno

Arkangel
Reaction score
i bought one of these early in 2007 from petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750628

and there's red light indicator that gradually dims with use. when it's barely visible, you're supposed to replace the uv light unit.

i've used the uv filter on and off for a total of 4 months and the red light is already barely visible. is this normal, or should i look into getting a better uv filter?

Not familiar with that one although it looks to be a cheap one (price wise). I think i paid about $90 for my 9W and that one is only $40. I would think the light would last longer than that. And it wouldn't go dim gradually. Like any light, it either burns or it doesn't. As long as it's still working, I wouldn't bother changing it. Sounds like the same thing the filter manufacturers tell you about changing the filter every week.

If the indicator tells you to change it then i would change it! Dosent matter if the light is still shining or not. the effectiveness of the bulb would have deteriorated rendering it useless. The UV is only as good as the life of its bulb. :good:

Not familiar with that one although it looks to be a cheap one (price wise). I think i paid about $90 for my 9W and that one is only $40. I would think the light would last longer than that. And it wouldn't go dim gradually. Like any light, it either burns or it doesn't. As long as it's still working, I wouldn't bother changing it. Sounds like the same thing the filter manufacturers tell you about changing the filter every week.

Then again metal halides and fluorescent bulbs need to be replaced every year even though they still run. 4 months seems a bit short for a UV light, it should be able to work a little while longer before being replaced though. The thing is though, since that bulb and setup is so cheap for a UV, you might actually have to replace it. I wasnt much help so you got to decide on your own :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back