Using TSS to cycle tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jackson donato

Reaction score
I just bought a 55 gallon aquarium and have had it set up for about 5 days now and I added tetra safe start plus into it. Do I need to add fish with that to help it cycle and if so would corydoras be a good starting fish for that?

It would be better to do a fishless cycle using ammonia chloride with no detergent in it. You can tell if it is pure ammonia by shaking it. If it has bubbles, then it contains detergent and you don’t want to use it. If no bubbles, it’s safe to use. You can purchase this at local hardware stores and some grocery stores. A fishless cycle is much easier on the fish. There is a section on nitrogen cycle under the beginners section here on the forum. I recommend reading that before deciding whether to do a fishless or fish in cycle. Either way, you will need an ammonia source to feed the Safe Start and build your bacteria to move your cycle along. If you added the Safe Start+ 5 days ago and have not added an ammonia source yet, you may need to get another bottle. If you have questions, let us know. Good luck!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back