Using ph reducer and api stress coat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mandyfawn29

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if it's safe to use imagitarium ph reducer and API stress coat at same time. I was told to add the ph reducer in a gallon of water and only add some of it into tank as I do partial water changes. My worry is I have to use the API stress coat to take all the bad stuff out of water before I add it to my tank, so if add the ph reducer to gallon of water I will also have to add the stress coat to the gallon of water. Is it safe to use them both? Or would I have to use the stress coat in the gallon of water an hour or so before adding the ph reducer? Thanks

Personally I wouldn't use either :)

The pH altering chemical can cause problems in a tank. If the water is hard, KH is also likely to be hard and this will cause the pH to bounce back to where it was before the chemical was added. And we should try to keep the chemicals we add to a minimum.
Can I ask why you want to use a pH altering chemical?

API stress coat contains aloe vera and this is not good for fish as it coats their gills. There are water conditioners which do not contain aloe vera and if it was me I'd change to one of those. If your water contains chloramine, Seachem Prime will detoxify the ammonia part of chloramine until the filter bacteria have removed it. If it contains chlorine, API Tap Water Conditioner is the most basic water conditioner and contains the least chemicals.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back