Using filter media/cartridge

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I need advice on how to get a new tank going with filter media and/or cartridges from a currently running tank.
20200420_174630.jpg

You can use established media from an old tank in a new tank for an instant cycle.

What filter/media/tank sizes/fish are we working with?

The media would need to be enough to support the new tank. You cant take a small filter meant for a 10 gallon and put it on a 125 and expect it to do anything.

Just stick the the media in the new tanks filter :) if you want the old tank to still be going, only move half of it over

Just stick the the media in the new tanks filter :) if you want the old tank to still be going, only move half of it over
That's what I did when I started all this fish biz. Used the filter cartridge and 50% water to 50% treated tap water to start a 2nd 5g betta tank. Then expanded likewise to become:

one empty 20g

one running inhabited 10g
two running inhabited 6g
two running inhaboted 5g
one filtered and running 20l bucket as seen in the picture, with betta, with a breeder basket full of the media and cartridges

The used water wont do anything :) the bacteria lives on surfaces so all the water is doing is starting it out with nasties ;)

The used water wont do anything :) the bacteria lives on surfaces so all the water is doing is starting it out with nasties ;)

This is true. I usually use some water if there is fish involved so they have room to swim. It ends up being a large water change.

And one 3.5 shrimp tank! All starter with first beta tank.

The 20l is an old restaurant food storage container. At first I would just buy a new filter and just the older one to start the next tank. Until I had surplus, which I store there. I've had cause to use it for QT and I have just kept it running with plants and snails an occasional betta, etc.

So my question is, do I have what I need to move up to my 20g and get it going? What type of "cycle" would I require?

Most reactions

Back