Using Existing Filter Media

dave_m13

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Rugby
Hi All

I have 2 tanks at the moment, I would like to set up another 1, what would be the best way to use the existing filter meadi from my other tanks.

large tank I have 1 external filters, smaller tank I have internal filter.

It will probably be either another internal or sponge filter that I get, could I just run the new filter on the old tank?

What is the best way to do this.

Kind Regards
Dave
 
I always run an extra internal or sponge filter in all my tanks. You can't have too much filtration, so that is no problem. Then, when I get a new tank – which happens far too often [I'm told] – I always have an up-and-running, bacteria-filled filter for the new tank.
Just remember to put a new filter in the old tank to replace the one you have taken out. (You will need it in a few month's time – you KNOW you will..!) :rolleyes:
 
Hi,

Yes, run the new filter in the old tank for a couple of weeks and that will cycle it.
Better than this is to just take some of the old media out of the old filter (25-50%), replace that media in the old filter and put the mature media in the new filter, you can now stock at a level of about 25-50% of the old tank straight away.
 
Hi,

Yes, run the new filter in the old tank for a couple of weeks and that will cycle it.
Better than this is to just take some of the old media out of the old filter (25-50%), replace that media in the old filter and put the mature media in the new filter, you can now stock at a level of about 25-50% of the old tank straight away.

Many thanks for the information, I will have to try and find a similar internal filter, then replace half, thats great. I usually always wait 4-5 weeks before the tank is cycled, so to be able to just setup and be ready from week 1 will be great.
 
sponge filters look dirty inside the tanks... I prefer just to splurge and get the eheim external filters... its worth it to spend the lil extra if you plan on being in the hobby a long time... you can buy jugs of the filter media.. Honestly your fish will be alot healthier and the maintaince on your tank is soooooo much less... i change my filter media in my 65 gal tank with a eheim 2215 like once every 2 months... and iv got 5 hungry pirhanas... plus you don't have the look of that nasty sponge filter in your tank...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top