The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheLastMelon

Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to upgrade from a ten gallon tank to a 29 gallon tank and I was wondering if I could use both the 10 gallon heater and the 29 gallon heater in the new tank. Both of the heaters are used so I guess they might take the strain off of each other. Or, would they make the tank too hot? Please help!

I would go ahead and use both. I say this because I use two used heaters in my four gallon tank and they still don’t always make it warm enough, even though it’s summer! You may want to wait for another more experienced member to answer though, just to be safe.

I wouldn’t do it. If you’re worried about the age of the heater then I suggest you go ahead and purchase a new heater. They’re relatively inexpensive these days.

Or, you could keep the 10 gallon running, and get a betta Maybe? :)

I probably would keep it running, but I only have room for one aquarium.:(

If you use the same filter, gravel and decor it will carry beneficial bacteria over with it to new tank. Don’t rinse it in chlorine or it will kill the bacteria. I would lower the water and then just scoop the gravel with cup since it’s only a 5 gallon your moving from. Leave filter running in tank water. Then use dechlorinated water ( remember the chlorine will kill the good bacteria so dechlorinate first in pitchers. After a few pitchers of dechlorinated water you can then pour your dechlorinator directly in tank to dechlorinate the rest and fill with tap water. Move over your decor at this point, heater, and your filter. Keep your filter media wet in tank water and just plug it in. You should keep your cycle by doing this. Finally, add your fish.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back