Urgent! Something on betta fish’s head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KoppeKatxx

Reaction score
Just took a look at my betta (halfmoon male, ten gal tank) and have notice that something is on his head, looked at him 30 minutes prior and it was not there. Betta has exhibited actions of staying by the bottom of the tank (usually pretty active), but will swim around some and will swim up to you. Just wondering what this is - pics down below. It seems to be almost fuzzy.

Attachments

• IMG_7946.jpeg
    IMG_7946.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7945.jpeg
    IMG_7945.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7944.jpeg
    IMG_7944.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7942.jpeg
    IMG_7942.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7941.jpeg
    IMG_7941.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7946.jpeg
    IMG_7946.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7945.jpeg
    IMG_7945.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7944.jpeg
    IMG_7944.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7942.jpeg
    IMG_7942.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7941.jpeg
    IMG_7941.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 23
just looks like a lifted scale.
monitor it over the next few days and if it gets worse, post more pictures.

if it goes white and fluffy, that is fungus.
if it goes red and inflamed, that's bacterial.
salt will treat both.

-----------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for 1-2 weeks.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

just looks like a lifted scale.
monitor it over the next few days and if it gets worse, post more pictures.

if it goes white and fluffy, that is fungus.
if it goes red and inflamed, that's bacterial.
salt will treat both.

-----------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for 1-2 weeks.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.
It’s almost clear and fluffy

I remember answering one of your post. this week. about your betta being sick.

And warned you a little about them hurting themselves. Pristine water quality is required for these guys.

As long as it heals and new scale grows back. You're golden. Excess of mucus is to be expected, Close observation is mandatory, and panic not required.

I use low but permanent level of salt in my betta aquarium and the softest water I can achieve.

And my betta doesn't look as fat as yours. But we are working on it.

I remember answering one of your post. this week. about your betta being sick.

And warned you a little about them hurting themselves. Pristine water quality is required for these guys.

As long as it heals and new scale grows back. You're golden. Excess of mucus is to be expected, Close observation is mandatory, and panic not required.

I use low but permanent level of salt in my betta aquarium and the softest water I can achieve.

And my betta doesn't look as fat as yours. But we are working on it.
He must’ve hurt himself today… his heater in his tank is gone and I’m working on getting him another one.

What should I do for him right now? Besides monitoring his behavior etc

You never shown your whole setup. Is he alone ? Tank ? Mates ? filtre ? Water params ? Temperature ? There is a lot of thing you can do to a betta alone, but not in a community tank.

But the foremost action would be the addition of a small amount of salt for the moment. and make sure the temp doesn't fall. And this means hot, near 80F-27C.

Keep water clean and feed as much as possible without bloating... No exception allowed. both sides.

And... as stupid as I like to be. Interact with him. At least he won't (less) be knocking his head on the walls at the time. Not sure on that point, loll.

But they have strong personality for their size.

One of the biggest error is to confuse excess of mucus with any kind of fungus, and start killing everything.

You never shown your whole setup. Is he alone ? Tank ? Mates ? filtre ? Water params ? Temperature ? There is a lot of thing you can do to a betta alone, but not in a community tank.

But the foremost action would be the addition of a small amount of salt for the moment. and make sure the temp doesn't fall. And this means hot, near 80F-27C.

Keep water clean and feed as much as possible without bloating... No exception allowed. both sides.

And... as stupid as I like to be. Interact with him. At least he won't (less) be knocking his head on the walls at the time. Not sure on that point, loll.

But they have strong personality for their size.
Yes he is in a 10 gallon tank alone. And he have a micro filter from aquarium co op, water parameters are stable, I check it every week (durning his week water change)

Temperature right now (without heater) is 77.9

Last edited:
The sad part about bettas is that, the healthier they are, the more vigorous they are in action. Resulting in scratches and lumps of all kinds, mostly in the forehead and one of his side.

What should I do for him right now? Besides monitoring his behavior etc
If you want to do something, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. That will dilute any disease organisms in the water and reduce the chance of infection.
Make sure any new water is free f chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

A temperature off 77/ 78F is fine for Bettas.

Almond leaves, bark or even extract, contain humic and fulvic acids and tannins which have antibacterial properties, lower pH and also is naturally occurring in their habitat, it has a soothing effect on bettas and they love the tint it gives to the water.

Almond leaves, bark or even extract, contain humic and fulvic acids and tannins which have antibacterial properties, lower pH and also is naturally occurring in their habitat, it has a soothing effect on bettas and they love the tint it gives to the water.
I don’t have almond leaves, but I have capatta to leaves I can get almond leaves… I’ve exhibited him swimming oddly today and think I will take the other two advice about water changes and salt … this is his water results for today
IMG_7956.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back