FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Feel free to move this to the appropriate heading,
Otherwise can anybody please identify this turtle?
I drove by a 5 or 10 gallon tank sitting by the side of a building.
I almost... But good thing I did circle back around and the tank was cracked and there were some rocks and gravel in it and while I was scoping it out I saw a round green thing and it and it was so vibrant I thought it was probably plastic but I got out of the car and got it anyway and it was a turtle.

I don't have the slightest idea how to care for this turtle can you please identify it for me and give me instructions for its care?
813736811892405000~2.jpg
IMG_20211229_142140_01~2.jpg
6217747303416872778~2.jpg
IMG_20211229_141925.jpg

Looks like a red ear slider? We used to have one. It was a wee baby and we found it struggling out in the middle of our pond. It was really disoriented, so we brought it in and got it a tank. We took care of it until the next spring before releasing him back to the pond we found him in. I was like 9 so don't remember too well... I know they need a basking area with heat lamp. We fed ours floating turtle pellets though I know benefit from a varied diet with meat based food and plant based foods. Maybe small feeder fish are a good choice? While they are itty bitty like that smaller tanks, like a 20 gallon, are alright. They can easily live for 20 years and can need well over 100 gallons when full grown. I am not sure what they like in terms of water flow, though are found in both lakes and rivers.

I think it is a red ear slider. But the bigger question is... what are you naming it!?😍😍😍

1640822427413.jpeg
images

1640822444177.jpeg

So, from what I have read about turtles and in my time caring for one (the one in my profile picture) the minimum tank size of a turtle can be found by the size of their shell. The general rule is 10 gallons per inch of shell. So a 2 inch turtle minimum tank size would be 20 gallons and a RES that can reach up to 12 inches, well thats 120 gallons. So a good tank size for a grow out would be a 40g breeder. Also, was this turtle in the tank on the side of the road!?

Most reactions

Back