Upgrading Tank(s). Need Suggestions.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i don't know how safe it would be to use a container made for storing dry goods, but i personally use plastic stock tanks for this sort of thing.
stock tanks are made of polyethylene and used to provide water for farm animals, so i know they can hold water and are non-toxic. if i need to, i cover it with a mosquito net, too.
i don't know if they sell stock tanks in the UK, though.

I have a comment on the weight of this 5-foot tank. You mention "upstairs" and a landing...1 gallon of water weighs 10 pounds, plus the weight of the tank, and any substrate, decor. I would check into the building's structure as it might not support this weight.

On the issue of changing the tanks...the fish need to be in some type of semi-permanent "tank" as it may take longer than a day to set up the new tank. You won't be rushed if the fish are in some temporary tank/container with heat, surface disturbance, filter, substrate, and some decor to settle them.

i don't know how safe it would be to use a container made for storing dry goods, but i personally use plastic stock tanks for this sort of thing.
stock tanks are made of polyethylene and used to provide water for farm animals, so i know they can hold water and are non-toxic. if i need to, i cover it with a mosquito net, too.
i don't know if they sell stock tanks in the UK, though.
Could you give me an example of what you mean if possible?

I have a comment on the weight of this 5-foot tank. You mention "upstairs" and a landing...1 gallon of water weighs 10 pounds, plus the weight of the tank, and any substrate, decor. I would check into the building's structure as it might not support this weight.
The weight is definitely a worry. My current tank is up against a load-bearing wall and then another wall. Due to the weight of the tank I intend on getting, I would have to have it up against the load-bearing wall only. Weight is definitely one of my biggest worries, but unfortunately we haven't got the space downstairs for a full-sized tank like that.

My parents initially agreed to a 4ft tank, which is unfortunately what I may have to go with though I know it won't be a suitable size for my sailfin when he's fully grown. My LFS has agreed to take him in if he does grow too big for my tank before I can get a larger one, at least.

On the issue of changing the tanks...the fish need to be in some type of semi-permanent "tank" as it may take longer than a day to set up the new tank. You won't be rushed if the fish are in some temporary tank/container with heat, surface disturbance, filter, substrate, and some decor to settle them.
Definitely. I may buy a few of the larger plastic totes. Since it would be substantially less space for them, I'd probably separate the larger fish (my plecs and red tail shark) into different "tanks".

+1
i'm going to assume this is a standard 125.
i've never seen a second floor that can support a 1000+ pound aquarium without extra support.
Could you give me an example of what you mean if possible?
1625508015278.png

in the US, you can't find them in many places, and i imagine it'll be much harder to find for you. there are probably some better options that someone from the UK can give you.

+1
i'm going to assume this is a standard 125.
i've never seen a second floor that can support a 1000+ pound aquarium without extra support.
I'd definitely try to see if my parents could make room downstairs for a tank like that, but I'm not sure I'd be able to unfortunately. We just don't have the space anywhere but upstairs.
View attachment 139486
in the US, you can't find them in many places, and i imagine it'll be much harder to find for you. there are probably some better options that someone from the UK can give you.
Ahh, yes I think I've seen those before. But no, I don't know if we have those over here.

I have a lot of experience in temporarily holding fish in tubs. When I moved from one house to the other the inhabitants of my very well stocked 75 gallon and my nano tank inhabitants and my load of plants went into 3 stock tubs, two of the black ones from Home Depot with the yellow lids, and one large clear on for my plants that I wound up having to double as the clear tubs are not as sturdy as the black ones. Plus the black is less stressful for the fish. They were in the tubs for almost a year until we were able to get the basement set up as a fishroom. All I did was to wipe the tubs with some straight vinegar (on a paper towel) and rinse before filling with water (your choice of tank or just treated tap water). You can add the substrate as well as any DW or decor. I had screen tops for the tubs from an old reptile enclosure, but you can easily drill holes in the lid for O2 exchange.

I drilled holes when I moved again in January and had fish in tubs for a couple months until we got the tanks set up again in the new house. They did well except for the eels that jumped-but that's eels and bad on us for having an HOB instead of a sponge filter.

Congrats on the upgraded tank and hope the switch is easy for you all!

Here is the only photo I could find, it was the last tub, I had 2 black and one clear set up in the space.
IMG_20200104_121950530.jpg

IMG_20200104_130839005.jpg

The water wound up bowing even this tub out so I had a support rope in the center, lol

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back