Upgrading my tank!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CazRJ

Reaction score
Hi I am very excited to upgrade my tank to a bigger size so I can add a few more fish. My current tank is set up and iv been advised to bag the fish up get as much of the old tank water into the new tank as possible then fill it up like a big water change to fill up the new tank.
What do I do about the substrate? Whether new or old surely it's still going to be too cloudy to move the fish over.
Also should I move my old filter over I stead of using the one that comes with the tank.

Thanks ?

Great thank you! Iv been worry about how I'd do it!

If the substrate is a little dirty you could put some old tank water to 1 side & swish the gravel around in it, Then ditch the water.
But yes try & use most if not everything out of the old tank just leave space for a bit of a water change

You need to move the old filter to the new tank so that the bacteria move as well as the fish. If the old media will fit inside the new filter leaving no gaps for the water to sneak though, that's another option. Leave out some of the new media to make room.

There will be bacteria on every surface in the tank as well as the filter so moving whatever you can over will also help.

If you've been doing regular large water changes, the tank water will be similar to your tap water so you don't need to transfer any water. The only time you need the old water is if the tank water chemistry is different from tap water, usually when large water changes have not been done every week.

You need to move the old filter to the new tank so that the bacteria move as well as the fish. If the old media will fit inside the new filter leaving no gaps for the water to sneak though, that's another option. Leave out some of the new media to make room.

There will be bacteria on every surface in the tank as well as the filter so moving whatever you can over will also help.

If you've been doing regular large water changes, the tank water will be similar to your tap water so you don't need to transfer any water. The only time you need the old water is if the tank water chemistry is different from tap water, usually when large water changes have not been done every week.
Thank you, I perform weekly 20% water changes

20% changes are quite small - I do 50% and a lot of members do more than this. With 20%, the tank water may well be different from your tap water so in this case I would move a lot of the old water. Make sure it's all clean old water, don't take the last bit if there's any debris stirred up from the bottom.

Make sure the new tank doesn't lose temperature during the change. Top up with water a bit hotter if it does.

20% changes are quite small - I do 50% and a lot of members do more than this. With 20%, the tank water may well be different from your tap water so in this case I would move a lot of the old water. Make sure it's all clean old water, don't take the last bit if there's any debris stirred up from the bottom.
Great thank you!

Make sure the new tank doesn't lose temperature during the change. Top up with water a bit hotter if it does.
My current tank isn't heated at all, one of the reasons for the upgrade, would you recommend setting it up as a cold water tank them increasing the heat over time? Or move them into a warm tank and introduce them like them where new fish?

My current tank isn't heated at all, one of the reasons for the upgrade, would you recommend setting it up as a cold water tank them increasing the heat over time? Or move them into a warm tank and introduce them like them where new fish?
"setting it up as a cold water tank them increasing the heat over time"

^^ This ^^, slowly...

Not sure if you have transferred the tank over yet but I have transferred over tanks a couple times and here's what I did every time.

• First remove any decor and plants. You may need to wait for the water to clear before you co to step two. While it clears move the old filter over or if you are upgrading filters, you can just pull out the cycled media and put it in your new filter, you can wipe the inside of the old filter and pour in the filter water too.
  • Next grab your fish/inverts. You can bag them if you want, or you can use NSF buckets sold at hardware stores, or even clean storage tubs will work temporarily. Just fill the tub/bucket with tank water and put your fish in there, even your plants.
  • Once all the live things are out you can use your siphon to do a deep substrate cleanse, get as much gunk out as you can. I have even refilled the tank half way to clean it again.
  • Empty as much water as you can and just move the substrate over to the new tank. Add additional substrate, decorate/plant the tank and move the fish over. Most fish won't need the old tank water unless its fussy about water parameters. If so you can acclimate the fish to the new parameters.
I did this when moving a 29g to a 55g, a 55g to a 75g; moving multiple tanks from one house to another (twice now) and haven't had any issues.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I successfully upgraded my tank to a heated tank and all fish are doing great! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back