FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

dazbud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 100L tank with 4 x tiger barbs, 4 x platy, 5 x bosemaniĀ  rainbow, 8 x neon tetra and 1 x bolivian ram. Had it for a year and quite happy but want to start keeping slightly bigger fish. Ā Iā€™m currently thinking of upgrading to a 250L tank from All Pond Solutions.
Ā 
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/fish-tanks/cabinet-aquarium-fish-tanks/cabinet-fish-tank-aquarium-250-litres-100cm-four-colours.html
Ā 
I hear that the trickle filter supplied with it is not that good. So I am thinking of purchasing their external canister filter too. Advertised as 1000L/Hr, suitable for tanks up to 400L.
  1. Dioes anyone have experience of APS tanks and filters
Various articles recommend various water changes. I currently do about 25% weekly as I think Iā€™m probably a little over stocked.
  1. Do larger water volumes still require you to keep up same water change routines, or do larger tanks need less maintenance.
The kit comes with a 200W heater, which I understand is less than the recommended wattage for 250L. However, my current set up came with a 75W heater on a 100L tank and that has been fine. Its on for about 40% of the time on warm days and 80% of the time on cold days.
  1. Will the 200W be sufficient to heat the 250L tank? Do larger tanks maintain heat better, or will I see the heater work just as hard as my current set up. Would it be more efficient to get a 300W heater and see it on less?
I would like to gradually phase out my little fish and stock fish that average about 4-6ā€ (10-15cm).
  1. In a 250L tank how many fish could I have of this size?
I know that an Malawi Cichlid set up would be great in a tank this size and the fish are nice and colourful. However, I think I would prefer some diversity instead. Some of the fish I have been considering for the new tank are Angels, Keyhole Cichlids, Firemouth Cichlids, Gold Severum, Red finned shark. I also love my tiger barbs so would possibly increase their numbers if they would be happy around a few larger fish.
  1. Can anyone recommend some stocking ideas. Ā 

I dislike APS filters, I don't mind there tanks though.

Yea I suggest you do at least 25% waterchange a week, It's easy trust me.

I'd look at a 300w heater just to be sure, There a few pennies more.

A lot of fish in a 250l, It all depends what you want!

thanks techen, any reason why you dislike the APS filters ?

APS seem pretty good so far I know a few people swear by them now
smile.png

Large tanks require the same maintenance as small tanks just more. 25% weekly is okay but you could do more - think more 35% and you should see some good results.

I would get two heaters that way if one fails you have a back up it also keeps the temps more stable so they are on for less of the time - invest in one of the ones that turns off when the temperature is reached I have two Ehiem ones and they have this function.

Stocking wise - hard to say how many 4-6 inch fish you can have because it depends what you get
smile.png

Your stocking is kind of tough in a way as you have some fast zippy fish and some quite timid fish. And some of the fish you have are quite timid as well. So you need to choose between having a tough yet active tank with say your rainbows, tigers and something like the Firemouths or a slow calm tank with your Angels, Rams, Keyholes and Tetras (though neons are not ideal with Angels)

With your current fish I would look at doing a stock like this

Tough and Fast tank

2 x Firemouth (or similar)- most Central American cichlids around the 6 inch mark will work
5 x Bosmani Rainbow
8 x Tiger Barbs
1 x Red Tail Black Shark

The Rainbows really take up a lot of space in this tank with an adult size of 6 inches and chunky they really need to be a focal point of the tank so if you dont want them maybe rethink having them.

Slow and Calm tank

2 x Angels or 2 x Keyholes
4 x Bolivian Rams
5 x Spotted Headstanders
12 x Pristella Tetras
12 x Panda Cories

I started out typing those lists out a bit different until I realised which tank you were going for the foot print is not really ideal for cichlids or the Bosmani Rainbows really you want at least a four foot for them ideally more but 4 foot is kind of okay.

So on reflection I would look at making some drastic changes in your stocking for your aspirations of what you want to keep.

One last thing - dont get a Severum they are not really an option in anything less than 75 gallons.

Wills

dazbud said:
thanks techen, any reason why you dislike the APS filters ?
I've known quite a few people that have got broken filters/leaking seals from APS.

But I hear good things about there filters too, I just choose to avoid them myself for these reasons.

when your suggesting 25% water change per week are u also meaning do a gravel syphon/vaccume aswell ? confused

Most reactions

trending

Back