Upgraded my tank. Stocking advice welcome

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Allcfc

Reaction score
Hello all!

Hope you are all well. I'm new to the forum and would love some advice.

I've recently upgraded to a 200litre tank from a 98 litre. I've got my old fish in it from the previous tank but wondered if anyone had any suggestions on other fish to add. I quite like the idea of rainbow fish but happy for other suggestions.

I currently have:
5x Sterbai Corys - might get some more to get above 6 but they were laying eggs beforehand so they may do it for me haha
15x Harlequin Rasbora

Thanks all,
Al

Hi Al :) welcome to the forum.

So first question to ask do you know if you have hard or soft water? And do you know the ph and the gh? The reason I ask is the fish you have now are all softwater fish and the rainbow fish are hardwater fish. Short term they can adapt either way but long term its best to keep fish that are suited to your water othewise you can get early deaths.

Wills

Hi Wills. Thanks for your speedy reply.

I can be a bit more specific tomorrow when my new tests strips arrive. But I live in a soft water area and PH was around 6.8 on last reading I think. I'll reply here tomorrow when I can be accurate.

Thanks
Alex

Hi Al :) welcome to the forum.

So first question to ask do you know if you have hard or soft water? And do you know the ph and the gh? The reason I ask is the fish you have now are all softwater fish and the rainbow fish are hardwater fish. Short term they can adapt either way but long term its best to keep fish that are suited to your water othewise you can get early deaths.

Wills

Not to disagree, since you're right about the soft water, just want to note that Sterbai's can manage with hardness from 0 up to 15°H :D (according to Seriously Fish, and I trust that source). I discovered this when I was bemoaning my hard water and yet really wanting like, all the cories to a cory loving friend of mine from here. She made me list of cories that can do well in harder water, which is the only reason I have sterbai's with my bronzes now :D

Hi Wills. Thanks for your speedy reply.

I can be a bit more specific tomorrow when my new tests strips arrive. But I live in a soft water area and PH was around 6.8 on last reading I think. I'll reply here tomorrow when I can be accurate.

Thanks
Alex
Ah thats great :) If you can, get liquid tests though as strips are not that accurate. With fish like you have I would choose some dwarf cichlids to go in there like Apistogrammas - Cacatuoides is the most common but some stunning species around now like Panduro, Hongsloi, Borelli. Or others are things like Laetacaras, Cupid Cichlids or Bolivian Rams.
Not to disagree, since you're right about the soft water, just want to note that Sterbai's can manage with hardness from 0 up to 15°H :D (according to Seriously Fish, and I trust that source). I discovered this when I was bemoaning my hard water and yet really wanting like, all the cories to a cory loving friend of mine from here. She made me list of cories that can do well in harder water, which is the only reason I have sterbai's with my bronzes now :D
Really good point, but... those big ranges are usually for fish that have a big distribution and sometimes live in almost coastal areas where the water is naturally harder. The issue is though do they spend their entire life there or just a few months a year? But even then for me I'd always rather see a softwater fish in hardwater with a great keeper than in softwater with a bad keeper. Paying attention to the water hardness is to aim for the longest life of the fish as possible and unmaintained tanks are going to have a bigger effect on that than hardness. When you look at the scale of the aquatics industry keeping fish in soft or hard water only really benefits the aquarist as the 6 neon tetras in RO water in a hard water area will probably be 6 of 1000 but the benefits to those 6 fish and the aquarist are pretty irrefutable. Sorry gone off topic here haha!

Wills

Some disagree about keeping cories and pair of cichlids, because if they start mating, they tend to attack the corries. Same goes for any other catfish that might encroach on their territories. You would be ok with just a male, maybe two if you divide the territories carefully.
I would just up the rasbora and corydoras numbers and leave it be as is, maybe add a snail or a shrimp

I would look at Pearl Gourami's, Congo Tetras, a couple of Angels, or even a couple of Discus. This is a large tank with lots of possibilities, what do you like?

Ok, in that case:
keep discus in a specific hardness range and in schools and temp - https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/discus-the-whole-truth-and-nothing-but-/
minimum 75 gallon for starting
55 gallon is doable, but with often water changes, specific hardness,...

and many many others. Discus are so specific

Ok, in that case:
keep discus in a specific hardness range and in schools and temp - https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/discus-the-whole-truth-and-nothing-but-/
minimum 75 gallon for starting
55 gallon is doable, but with often water changes, specific hardness,...

and many many others. Discus are so specific
DSCN1417.JPG

Gourami could a good choice, but I agree with @Beastije I wouldnt do discus, for me they need a specific set up planned around them rather than adding to exisiting set up.

@itiwhetu is actually a wizard and keeps fish really well in ways I dont think most others could. I do disagree with him on seriously fish though its a great resource :)

Wills

Gourami could a good choice, but I agree with @Beastije I wouldnt do discus, for me they need a specific set up planned around them rather than adding to exisiting set up.

@itiwhetu is actually a wizard and keeps fish really well in ways I dont think most others could. I do disagree with him on seriously fish though its a great resource :)

Wills
What I do is nothing special, it is about being in touch with the fish you are trying to keep. Talk to them and let them talk to you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back