(Update post #26) Dithers or more cories?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had hatchetfish way back when, I ended up not liking them as much as I thought I would because where they are all the way at the top of the water column, I ended up having to basically be sitting under the tank to see them, because they were always obscured by the top bar or the hood of the tank.

Also, this:
My husband has to agree as I want him to also like the choice of fish lol so difficult
Story of my life. Our fish conversations are usually like this:
Him: what about X fish? I saw them online they look cool!
Me: I love the idea, but [our water/their size/the parrot chichlids] are going to be [too hard/too small/too agressive] for that to work well, sorry :( what about Y fish?
Him: I think those are [too ugly/too boring/too expensive]
Repeat ad infinitum....

The fish tanks are very much a mutual venture, so OH and I need to be an agreement about how we manage them. My cherry barbs are little f^&(-ers and left to me, they would be rehomed, but OH likes them and refuses to entertain that idea.

Found your video of the tank. Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like it has less flow than my 240L. You'd be totally fine with rummys, black phantoms, or any other similar tetra.

I’ve never heard the term “dither fish” before. New word in my aquatic vocabulary. :banana:

I'm almost tempted just to add more female cherry barbs, but my group are so peaceful and perfect citizens that I worry that I could mess that up haha

Not interested in the SA hatchets, but there's the Asian fish called dadio that's also sometimes called the orange hatchet.

Wondering if I should get a small group of upper level fish that will be dithers for the cories, or if I should say to heck with upper levels and increase a few of my cory groups (more ambiacus, more elegans).
More cories ;).
If you can get frogbit to grow food will collect in the roots. I also chuck food into the top without moving the leaves. For some reason my paleatus and sterbais spend a lot of time in the top half :lol:

More cories ;).
If you can get frogbit to grow food will collect in the roots. I also chuck food into the top without moving the leaves. For some reason my paleatus and sterbais spend a lot of time in the top half :lol:
Mine are all over, they like sitting on the tops of the plants, checking out the floating water sprite and hornwort, sit on top of the taller driftwood... they are everywhere on every level of the tank, hence why *I* would love to add a few more of a couple of the cories, but husband disagrees and thinks something else needs to be up top :(

You cant have too many cories.

I'm almost tempted just to add more female cherry barbs, but my group are so peaceful and perfect citizens that I worry that I could mess that up haha

Not interested in the SA hatchets, but there's the Asian fish called dadio that's also sometimes called the orange hatchet.
I was thinking more cherry barbs too. Mine are pretty peaceful.

Vampire shrimp? Peaceful, and can look great at the top the branch gathering food. Don't know if your parameters are amenable to their needs, but they look cool!

Vampire shrimp? Peaceful, and can look great at the top the branch gathering food. Don't know if your parameters are amenable to their needs, but they look cool!
Id love vampires! But gonna pass as theyre not easy to get in my area, and the ones I can order are $20+$70 shipping

I was thinking more cherry barbs too. Mine are pretty peaceful.
Mine are too. But would have to be females. Either way, after this experience I'm kinda thinking dont fix what ain't broke lol

Asked my husband about emperor tetras, dadio, rosy red minnows... all were a no "right now". Which for the dadios is a no for a long time since they're hard to get and the store has them in right now but no guarantee for a long while after. Says nothing right now :rolleyes:

Joke is on him then, I plan to breed my microdevario kubotai in my 20 long, can always just add the babies raised to the 55 and go with those.

Or just keep some baby cories :whistle:

Stubborn spouse syndrome

Ive got 5 banded barbs with my cherry's which are small and peaceful and have similar pattern to the melon/tiger barbs. Just another option for you :)

Ive got 5 banded barbs with my cherry's which are small and peaceful and have similar pattern to the melon/tiger barbs. Just another option for you :)
But not available here locally and out of stock on the one place that sells them online (also $70 shipping alone to start with from that site)
A little wary now on other barbs with the cories and plecos, the melons are supposed to be peaceful, every source says they're good. But apparently those cute dorsal fins of the other fish are way too tempting of a target lol

But not available here locally and out of stock on the one place that sells them online (also $70 shipping alone to start with from that site)
A little wary now on other barbs with the cories and plecos, the melons are supposed to be peaceful, every source says they're good. But apparently those cute dorsal fins of the other fish are way too tempting of a target lol
Wow o_O $70 shipping!! Black emporer tetra it is then lol.

It is strange with the melons. Ive had Odessa's, Rosy's , Black ruby's, cherry's and banded barbs with Cories and never had problems with fin nipping.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back