(Update post #26) Dithers or more cories?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
2x Tank of the Month🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Well my melon barbs i will be saying farewell to them some time later this week, theyre starting to attack everyone in my tank and I have to put the rest of the stock first (I have some blind fish in this tank who don't stand a chance to defend themselves or escape). Im really bummed about it because I really enjoyed the barbs, but I dont have another large tank for them to move them to where they wont do the same to another fish (my other larger tank has cories and farlowella in it).

But, with them going back to the person I got them from, this leaves my 55g with just 6 blind cherry barbs, and a bunch of cories, 3 hoplos, and 2 BN plecos.

Wondering if I should get a small group of upper level fish that will be dithers for the cories, or if I should say to heck with upper levels and increase a few of my cory groups (more ambiacus, more elegans).

Whatever dither up top needs to be able to handle high flow.

My GH is 89.5ppm

My mid to top are white clouds and danios. The danios can be pretty aggressive themselves. The white clouds only seem to chase each other if anything.

My mid to top are white clouds and danios. The danios can be pretty aggressive themselves. The white clouds only seem to chase each other if anything.
Danios are a no go I've had them before and they'd steal the cories food and gorge themselves to death

Though, do I even *need* dither fish, or would they be fine as they are? My cherry barbs are shy but my cories are all over the place.

Moved the melons to a spare holding tank until they return to their home, and already everyone has come out of hiding and are active like before.
20201130_200016.jpg

Edit: Well husband doesn't think he wants more cories, so if we do anything, has to be something upper level. Don't think tetras would like the flow going on in this tank?

Last edited:
I vote danios, or black neons.

I vote danios, or black neons.
Got black neons in my 46g great fish, my favorite tetra! But I dont think they'd do well with the flow in the 55.

Danios are a no, had them before, but they stole the cories food constantly and would eat so much they'd get bloated and some would get sick from it. Tried even feeding at night to avoid them, but no the buggers still managed

I have rummynose and black phantom tetras in my 240L tank. It has one powerhead, along with whatever flow a Fluval 307 provides. I would not want the tetras in any more current, but they seem fine with the amount that's there. The phantoms frequently spawn. No idea if it has more or less flow than your tank, though! They are very peaceful and benign. One of the reasons they're there, since I couldn't have anything nippy with the longfinned Ancistrus.

Haven't got any characins in the 125, which is the tank with lots of powerheads and the L199s. It ended up collecting small cory species and filter feeding shrimp.

This Practical Fishkeeping article suggests other characins: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/the-secret-to-setting-up-a-better-river-aquarium/. If I wanted to add one to the 125, I would start with Googling these species.

I would also vote tetras or some other mid-level fish. You can always get a spray bar if you think the flow is going to be too much? The plecos might enjoy chilling in the outflow of the spray bar as well (if you're concerned the overall current would decrease too much). There are alternative arrangements for locating the spray bar that don't all involve putting it across the top of the tank. Years ago, I saw a guy who had made a custom spray bar and put it horizontally on the narrow side of the tank, the ultimate effect was that his sand had ripples in in from the flow :D I don't know if over time he had to keep shoveling his sand back towards the outlet but just putting some additional ideas out there for you!

I have rummynose and black phantom tetras in my 240L tank. It has one powerhead, along with whatever flow a Fluval 307 provides. I would not want the tetras in any more current, but they seem fine with the amount that's there. The phantoms frequently spawn. No idea if it has more or less flow than your tank, though! They are very peaceful and benign. One of the reasons they're there, since I couldn't have anything nippy with the longfinned Ancistrus.

Haven't got any characins in the 125, which is the tank with lots of powerheads and the L199s. It ended up collecting small cory species and filter feeding shrimp.

This Practical Fishkeeping article suggests other characins: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/the-secret-to-setting-up-a-better-river-aquarium/. If I wanted to add one to the 125, I would start with Googling these species.
I'll have to do some reading.
Was looking at some dadio to be honest, but my husband has to agree as I want him to also like the choice of fish lol so difficult

I would also vote tetras or some other mid-level fish. You can always get a spray bar if you think the flow is going to be too much? The plecos might enjoy chilling in the outflow of the spray bar as well (if you're concerned the overall current would decrease too much). There are alternative arrangements for locating the spray bar that don't all involve putting it across the top of the tank. Years ago, I saw a guy who had made a custom spray bar and put it horizontally on the narrow side of the tank, the ultimate effect was that his sand had ripples in in from the flow :D I don't know if over time he had to keep shoveling his sand back towards the outlet but just putting some additional ideas out there for you!
I want the stronger flow, the plecos are happier and the cories enjoy it.
1/5th of the tank is a slow zone for anyone to rest though, its behind the outflow

As you know I moved my Odessa barbs out from my cory tank after I found they were attacking the corys. When I did move them out, it was incredible to see the new lease of life the corys had. They'd become so subdued that I'd almost forgotten how active they usually are; swimming all over the tank and playing in the flow.
Cories don't need dithers but then it's good to fill up the upper regions on the tank, they are bottom dwellers at the end of the day and my tank is too tall to not have any other species, so I went with black phantoms (also trying to match lower temps of the c.palaetus). Black Phantoms are working out great so far, its as though they don't even notice anyone other than themselves. My RCS are untouched and they leave the corys and the cory's food alone. Again, I'm looking for lower temp fish, and so my next additions are likely to be lemon tetra and/or flame tetra. Also considered black neon too.

I've got to say I'm loving the barb tank since adding the giant danios in with the Odessa. It has high flow, and whilst I adore corydoras, I don't miss them in there. They just wouldn't go and I'm happy with that. I'm working out what bottom dweller could go on there, maybe some dwarf chain loach or something.

So NC, would it be possible for you to move the corys out? And have this as a high flow tank for the barbs and maybe danios or Hatchetfish..?

I was so very close to selling the Odessa. When I moved them out from the cories and into the 63G, they were constantly hiding and my last ditch effort of throwing danios in as dithers really paid off and the Odessa are looking stunning.

Last edited:
As you know I moved my Odessa barbs out from my cory tank after I found they were attacking the corys. When I did move them out, it was incredible to see the new lease of life the corys had. They'd become so subdued that I'd almost forgotten how active they usually are; swimming all over the tank and playing in the flow.
Cories don't need dithers but then it's good to fill up the upper regions on the tank, they are bottom dwellers at the end of the day and my tank is too tall to not have any other species, so I went with black phantoms (also trying to match lower temps of the c.palaetus). Black Phantoms are working out great so far, its as though they don't even notice anyone other than themselves. My RCS are untouched and they leave the corys and the cory's food alone. Again, I'm looking for lower temp fish, and so my next additions are likely to be lemon tetra and/or flame tetra. Also considered black neon too.

I've got to say I'm loving the barb tank since adding the giant danios in with the Odessa. It has high flow, and whilst I adore corydoras, I don't miss them in there. They just wouldn't go and I'm happy with that. I'm working out what bottom dweller could go on there, maybe some dwarf chain loach or something.

So NC, would it be possible for you to move the corys out? And have this as a high flow tank for the barbs and maybe danios or Hatchetfish..?

I was so very close to selling the Odessa. When I moved them out from the cories and into the 63G, they were constantly hiding and my last ditch effort of throwing danios in as dithers really paid off and the Odessa are looking stunning.

Unfortunately no, because its not just the cories the melons were going after. They were also going at my plecos AND cherry barbs too.
And there are blind fish here, moving them to another tank wouldn't be kind to them either.
I also do not have the room to move all those fish to my other tank which is already heavily stocked as it is.
Nor could I move the barbs to that one either because I got cories and twig cats and a gourami in that one.
And husband says no to another tank while we live here (we legit don't have any outlets left either lol). Unfortunately the only solution I have is to rehome the melons. I'm bummed about it, but I do have to put my blind fish first.

Unfortunately no, because its not just the cories the melons were going after. They were also going at my plecos AND cherry barbs too.
And there are blind fish here, moving them to another tank wouldn't be kind to them either.
I also do not have the room to move all those fish to my other tank which is already heavily stocked as it is.
Nor could I move the barbs to that one either because I got cories and twig cats and a gourami in that one.
And husband says no to another tank while we live here (we legit don't have any outlets left either lol). Unfortunately the only solution I have is to rehome the melons. I'm bummed about it, but I do have to put my blind fish first.
Yeh I was furious with the barbs when I caught them bullying the cories, if my cories were blind too then I'm not sure the barbs would still be alive now! (JK!)
Totally fair enough, and I imagine you've had sleepless nights working out all of the possibilities in order to keep them all!
How many cories are in there now?

Yeh I was furious with the barbs when I caught them bullying the cories, if my cories were blind too then I'm not sure the barbs would still be alive now! (JK!)
Totally fair enough, and I imagine you've had sleepless nights working out all of the possibilities in order to keep them all!
How many cories are in there now?
29 in the 55g (this tank), 17 in the 46g, 17 in the 20g long (pygmies)

My top swim are Colombian Redfin tetra they do great with my corys and make plenty of mess for them to clean up as they are like mini piranha when eating , really fun fish to watch as they battle there own hierarchy not sure about the high flow though think they are found more in slower water not sure but I understand your struggle because corys are so Moreish lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back