upcoming Swordtale fry.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, my Swordtail is going to pop soon.

How do you know when to put her in isolation? I don't want to lock her in this little breeding box prematurely.

Will she really have over 150 babies? I don't have a secondary tank, so I am not really sure wtf to do with all of these. They can spend some small amount of time in this little nursery, but otherwise, Ill have to rehome them fast.

how easy is it to transfer fry? I have never really had my fish breed before cause I always bought all males or females. But in an effort to bring the aggression levels in the tank down a little, I have started to introduce opposite sex for the more aggressive fish to occupy their time.

I really don't want 150 babies all over my main tank either, since, whatever wouldn't get eaten, would certainly end up in my filter. and pumps.

Attachments

• pregost.jpg
    pregost.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 51
probably not 150, it is a small fish i think so maybe max 10-20.
they grow very slow so you have time, just keep them in the breeder when they are too big to be eaten release them

Looking at her, 150 fry seems overrated. My swords don't eat their fry.
She could be close or it may take stil some time... A vague reply of mine. But also with swordtails, I've got the experience that the belly size is unpredictable when she might be due.

Looking at her, 150 fry seems overrated. My swords don't eat their fry.
She could be close or it may take stil some time... A vague reply of mine. But also with swordtails, I've got the experience that the belly size is unpredictable when she might be due.

I was just going based on where I read online that it could be 100-150 fry.

Also, its a community tank, there are other fish in there that would happily chow down.

I was just going based on where I read online that it could be 100-150 fry.

Also, its a community tank, there are other fish in there that would happily chow down.
Oh but yes, there a very big females that are potential to give birth to such a high number of fry. And yes, there are also fish that will see those fry as a real snack.
In this video of mine a female drops fry and leaves them alone.

So I still have to try and figure out when to move her. Any suggestions? I have been trying to keep an eye on her and see if shes separating herself out. But I havent really paid much attention to her specific habits before hand, so its hard to know.

Move her sooner than later and put her in her own tank with all the comforts of home. Lots of plant and a nice base. You will need this tank to raise the fry in.

Move her sooner than later and put her in her own tank with all the comforts of home. Lots of plant and a nice base. You will need this tank to raise the fry in.
I dont have another tank. Wish I did.

All I have is a breeder home that lives in the main tank.

We don't really recommend the use of breeder boxes for the female. It is better to leave her in the tank and as soon as she gives birth, put the babies in the breeder box. But they can't be left in there very long as breeder boxes are too small.

I had some yellow swords and orange/black swords that bred. I had probably 25 or so little mixed sword tails swimming around. Most survived and i gave them away to some friends.

We don't really recommend the use of breeder boxes for the female. It is better to leave her in the tank and as soon as she gives birth, put the babies in the breeder box. But they can't be left in there very long as breeder boxes are too small.

She started to birth last night. I only noticed cause I went to go check something in my sump, and saw 2 of them swimming around in there.

No baby would survive in my tank. Even now my angels are all gathering around the birthing box trying to eat them all.

I am going to get a small side tank here soon for this purpose, but I do not currently have one.

How long in between fry though?

I found 2 babies last night, tossed her, and the babies into the breeder box for the night. Woke up this morning and there is still just her and 2 babies 8 hours later?

She started to birth last night. I only noticed cause I went to go check something in my sump, and saw 2 of them swimming around in there.

No baby would survive in my tank. Even now my angels are all gathering around the birthing box trying to eat them all.

I am going to get a small side tank here soon for this purpose, but I do not currently have one.

How long in between fry though?

I found 2 babies last night, tossed her, and the babies into the breeder box for the night. Woke up this morning and there is still just her and 2 babies 8 hours later?
Congrats on the fry...
She only could've had just two of them or some were eaten. Sometimes, just a few are dropped that have developed sooner. In that case, she still can be fat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back