Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Wow, @LostBear , you must have some extreme predatory strain of neons. Mine were never like that. They didn't have quite as much personality as harleys, but they minded their own business, kept to themselves, schooled with each other but left everybody else alone. Yours sound like they need rehoming. Maybe in a predatory cichlid tank. :devil:

Wow, @LostBear , you must have some extreme predatory strain of neons. Mine were never like that. They didn't have quite as much personality as harleys, but they minded their own business, kept to themselves, schooled with each other but left everybody else alone. Yours sound like they need rehoming. Maybe in a predatory cichlid tank. :devil:
They are mean beyond words.

Think I should introduce them to some of their piranha cousins.

We had neons many years ago - they weren't like these.

I hate most loaches. I'm not really sure why, but they kind of gross me out. Some types I do like, and I would not mind keeping them in a tank, but others I really don't like.

I hate most loaches. I'm not really sure why, but they kind of gross me out. Some types I do like, and I would not mind keeping them in a tank, but others I really don't like.
My wife doesn't want me to have kuhli loaches. She thinks they look like snakes. Hard to argue with that. The botia-types (from dwarf chains up to clowns) are more fish-like. They are really social fish; they don't just school, but really interact with each other. My zebras and dwarf chains click at each other when they're excited about something (usually food). :)

My wife doesn't want me to have kuhli loaches. She thinks they look like snakes. Hard to argue with that. The botia-types (from dwarf chains up to clowns) are more fish-like. They are really social fish; they don't just school, but really interact with each other. My zebras and dwarf chains click at each other when they're excited about something (usually food). :)

Yeah, I totally get that people don't like them because they look like snakes. The thing is, I like snakes. I would even own one if I had the time and space for another pet. I honestly don't know why I don't like most loaches. I do like Hillstream loaches and Dwarf Chain loaches though. They're pretty cute. :)

LIke anything in this world ...cycling w/without fish has it's nuances...I think cycling with fish is a great way for beginners to go cuz it services that having fish itch...not everybody is patient enough to wait before adding fish, especially for absolutely first timers. But there are nuances that people must know about.

I think the thing I most appreciate is that everything we do in life is really a personal experiment the first time we do it. Yes, we fail a times, but failure is an opportunity to learn if we take advantage of it. Some people might say 'but experimenting with fish in cycling is hard on the fish and can result in fish loss'. While I would agree, I also think that what you learn doing a fish in cycle, especially if you do it right, gives you greater appreciation & experience for dealing with fish emergencies in the future - which can also translate into loss prevention later on when inevitable issues do crop up. It teaches people to be observant of fish behaviors in different tank conditions and helps them appreciate the need to react quickly to more critical fish needs. At least, that's my opinion. I learned more cycling a tank with fish in it than at any other point in keeping.

Adding to @Fishmanic usually meds do more harm in an aquarium than good.
One instance where I do use a med is when I prophylactically add Prazipro to a tank when adding new fish. Best to do it in a quarantine tank but I have occasionally added it to my main tanks as a preventative for parasites. It is considered relatively safe by many fish keeping experts. Read the small printed instructions on the bottle and abide by them.
I have also dosed Levamisole in a similar preventative manner but not at the same time as Prazipro .

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back