Unknown Fry - Help Identify

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MissKaylakay93

Reaction score
Today, I was gazing into my 36 gallon, and I saw something odd - fry! (I think.)

I saw several fry- type swimming things. They were shaped like the livebearer's fry, but they are TINY! I mean 2 millimeters tiny. I could see eyes, and a spine, but other than that they were completely clear. They are too small to get a picture of them even. 

Fish list (and sexes if i know them) -
One male guppy,
one male molly,
one male and female swordtail,
two female and one male platy,
3 danios,
4 australlian rainbows,
and 7 tetras
and tons of snails.

I did notice that one of my female platys looks thinner, but I thought that platy fry would be relatively sized to other livebearer fry.
While cleaning the filter the other day, I found clear globs of whitish goo, but I assumed it was probably just snail eggs.
Any ideas? 

They could be anything with all those fish. Probably livebearers. Pics will help loads.

What kind of danios and tetras do you have, OP?

3 danios,

That is likely the type of fish they are.  Of course, not sure which tetras you have, but danios will breed under any conditions, so it is likely them...

Yes, I've known a lot of people have danios breed in community set ups. Some species of tetra too, but it does depend on the species.

If they really are only 2mm long, they do sound a bit small to be livebearers. I suppose they could be rainbows, but I've never kept any, so can't really guess on that front.

I've seen the platy fry! I definitely have two different types of fry in the tank.
So the small fry in question is at least two or three times SMALLER than the platy fry, if that helps.
We have neon tetras and striped danios.
The problem is that we have larger pebbles as our substrate which has always made seeing fry nearly impossible because they burrow down in there. I also took a flashlight and looked around the edges, and it looks like there is eggs hanging out down there, some are completely clear and attached to what looks like a web and others are separate with small black dots, which I assume to be eyes.

In the event that it is danio or neon fry, how often will they mate? I ask because fry born in our main tank rarely survive because the rainbows are so fast and hungry, but now that I know breeding them is possible, I'd love to move them over to our nursery tank and give it a shot. 

I highly doubt it's the neons, they are tricky breeders.

So I've come to the conclusion that I have a mix of Danio fry/eggs and snail eggs in my substrate. Thanks guys

MissKaylakay93 said:
I've seen the platy fry! I definitely have two different types of fry in the tank.
So the small fry in question is at least two or three times SMALLER than the platy fry, if that helps.
We have neon tetras and striped danios.
The problem is that we have larger pebbles as our substrate which has always made seeing fry nearly impossible because they burrow down in there. I also took a flashlight and looked around the edges, and it looks like there is eggs hanging out down there, some are completely clear and attached to what looks like a web and others are separate with small black dots, which I assume to be eyes.

In the event that it is danio or neon fry, how often will they mate? I ask because fry born in our main tank rarely survive because the rainbows are so fast and hungry, but now that I know breeding them is possible, I'd love to move them over to our nursery tank and give it a shot. 
If you really want to raise the fry, all you have to do is leave out the water after you siphon the gravel and in 1-3 days you should notice little stripes adhering to the sides of the bucket.  A white bucket obviously helps the most with this.  They have specialized diets, though, so don't expect a high survival rate unless you take the effort to isolate them and feed them properly.

At a stab in the dark they could be rainbow fry, which sort Rainbows do you have? I know my spotted blue eyes ( related to rainbows) have tiny fry which to start with are basically just eyes with a tail attached.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back