Unknown Catfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Beesboer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have bought a new Cat. I don't know what type it is. It's about 5cm long will be about 12cm long. It's black with little white spot. Any idea?
Thanks!

Any chance of a picture? That discription is a bit vague, can you tell us a bit more about the fishes shape, mouth and swimming habbits?

It could be one of about 150 species of catfish but I'm thinking it might be a bristlenose because they're the most common fish to meet that description. I could be way off, however.

I must admit (and I don't mean to sound judgemental) but is it a terribly good idea to buy a fish you know absolutely nothing about? It could be a schooling fish, it could grow to 2 metres in length, it could be a piscavore (fish eater) or require a particular diet, or it could be very fussy about water parameters.

My first guess would be that it is a Spotted talking catfish/spotted raphael, scientific name Agamyxis pectinfrons. These are peaceful nocturnal catfish but may eat small fish like tetras. They are heavilly armoured and look like little spikey battle tanks.

I have called the LFS, they told me it's a white spotted Ancisterus and it will grow up until 11cm. Does any one know anything about this fish?

Alien Anna, have you ever walked though a LFS and saw a fish and fall straight in love with it? The guy told me it only eats algae and I must say, after one night my tank was absolutely spot less!
:D

IT happened to me too. I saw a banjo cat(well atleast i thought it was at the time cause the if's said so.) It was really a zipper loach.

Beesboer said:
I have called the LFS, they told me it's a white spotted Ancisterus and it will grow up until 11cm. Does any one know anything about this fish?

Alien Anna, have you ever walked though a LFS and saw a fish and fall straight in love with it? The guy told me it only eats algae and I must say, after one night my tank was absolutely spot less!
:D
A white spotted ancistrus is related to a bristlenose, so I'm glad I wasn't far off. I'm not sure what the scientific name is for your fish (ancistrus is the type) but all the ancistrus sp. I've read about are smallish.

Ancistrus don't just eat algae, although they are partial to it. They also like shrimp pellets, flake if they can get it (which can be a struggle). Mine adores cucumber (blanched until soft) and zucchini (courgette). He used to like peas but he didn't eat the ones I gave him yesterday so he must have gone off them. He'll also eat bloodworms if he can get them but the problem with sharing a tank with fast tetras is that he often doesn't move fast enough. His tactic is generally to sit on top of the food so no one else can get at it.

I give myne goldfish bits and he love's it. Is it true that goldfish bits are good for pleco's?

Most reactions

Back