NEW HAMPSHIRE
State: New Hampshire
City: Concord
Store: PetCo

Variety/Selection: 5
Cleanliness and Quality: 8
Staff Knowledge and Friendliness: 9
Rated by: gwikimpss 03/30/06
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
City: Lebanon
Store: Lebanon Aquarium and Pet Center

Variety/Selection: 10, by far the best selection in the state
Cleanliness/Quality: 9
Staff knowledge and friendliness: about a 7.5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
City: Manchester
Store: Petland

Variety/Selection: 7
Cleanliness/Quality: 6
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 6
City: Nashua
Store: Family Pet & Aquarium
Website: [URL="http://www.familypetandaquarium.com"]http://www.familypetandaquarium.com[/URL]

Cleanliness and Quality:7
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge:5
Smiley Rating:5

Comments: Staff weren't the friendliest. The selction was fairly good but they will order for you too. Expected more from a not corporately owned store.
Rated by: h4hapoo 06/14/009
City: Nashua
Store: Petsmart
Website: [URL="http://www.petsmart.com"]http://www.petsmart.com[/URL]

Cleanliness and Quality:7
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge:7
Smiley Rating:7

Comments: It all depends on who is working when you go some are hobbyist so can be very helpful.
Rated by: h4hapoo 06/14/009
City: Salem
Store: Sea World Pet and Aquarium Center

Variety/Selection: 8, mainly specialize in SW and is the only place around to get LR, but for FW they are merely OK
Cleanliness/Quality: 7
Staff knowledge and friendliness: knowledge 9-10 but friendliness is about a 4

Store: Sea World Pet and Aquarium Center

Variety/Selection: Only refer to FW as that's all I deal with - 7 - nothing too odd, but large variety of common species
Cleanliness/Quality: 6 - Lots of dead fish, staff appears too busy to deal with the mess
Knowledge & Friendliness: Manager of FW department, she's an 8.5 / Other staff, 6, if you can get them to talk to you
Rated by: ClownKnifeMommy 05/21/08

NEW JERSEY
State: New Jersey
City: Bayonne
Store: Colonial Pets (18th st. & Broadway)

Variety & Selection: 7.5
Cleanliness & Quality: 7
Staff Friendliness & Knowledge: 8 (Not to busy)
I believe its family owned and operated.
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: windandfire12 07/11/06
City: Bound Brook
Store: Garden Oaks Aquariums (On the property)
*Awesome Prices on some things*

Variety/ Selection: 8
Cleanliness and Quality: 9
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 9
Rated by: krustykrab 11/21/06
City: Clifton
Store: Absolutely Fish

Variety/ Selection: 6
Cleanliness and quality: 9
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 9
Smiley rating:
Price: A bit steep, especially for some of the larger fish. However, generally doable and fair.
Website: [URL="http://"http://www.absolutelyfish.com/""]http://www.absolutelyfish.com/[/URL]
Has a lot of great varieties of easily kept fish and beautiful colorations on all sorts of fish. Lots of flashy, community fish - tons of tetras, various discus, angels, etc. Also a nice selection on flashier SW fish. Friendly, highly knowledgeable staff. However, does not have many oddballs, or the larger catfish/carnivorous fish, though the ones they do have are very nice and flashy.
Rated by: MoonstruckMuse 03/05/07

City: Clifton
Store: Absolutely Fish
Variety/Selection: 10
Cleanliness and Quality: 10
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge:9

These guys are the best I have seen. I have been looking for a good place to start the hobby and have been to alot of stores. This one is hands down the best.
Rated by: ravensflight 10/14/07
City: Hillside
Store: Shark Aquarium

Variety/ Selection: 10+ on predatory fish, haha. 7 on everything else.
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:
Price: High prices, but only cause they're high end fish. Rather cheap considering some of the sizes/types of fish they stock.
Website: [URL="http://"http://www.sharkaquarium.com/""]http://www.sharkaquarium.com/[/URL]
They specialize in predatory fish, as their name suggests. They treat everything else as if it's sissy, so if you're a tetra lover or something, move on - there is nothing for you here. However, if you're looking for catfish, arowanas, just about any type of piranha, or a temperamental oddball, you might as well try here, there's a good chance you'll find them. The people here are knowledgeable, but snarky - they don't give up their knowledge easily, and they'll sell to anybody, it seems. They run a well done store though, so if you know your stuff and know what you're looking for, go ahead and give this place a try. It's definitely worth a visit.
City: Jersey City
Store: Petland Discounts on route 440

Variety & Selection: 7.8
Cleanliness & Quality: 10
Staff Friendliness & Knowledge: 9 (Quite often very busy)
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: windandfire12 07/11/06
City: Lawrenceville
Store: Petco

Variety/ Selection: 7
Cleanliness and quality: 6
Staff friendliness and Knowledge:9
Smiley rating:
Comments: Average Petco. Has small selection of fish. Mostly Livebearers and a lot of them. No tattooed fish though! Ok live plant and fake selection. Very good knowledge of fish but not always around. The occasional dead fish in tank
Rated by: mnbyiuopre 02/18/07
City: Lawrenceville
Store: PetsPlus
Cleanliness and Quality:8
Staff friendliness and Knowledge:9
Smiley rating:
Comments: Very good selection of fish. Tanks aren't decorated but no dead fish-usually. Medicine is iffy and service is kinda hard to find but no mistaking the fish!
Rated by: mnbyiuopre 02/18/07
City: Ocean
Store: Tropiquarium

Variety/ Selection: 9
Cleanliness and quality: 10
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 11
Fun factor when visiting
Rated by: Gary 24 05/16/06
City: Pennsauken
Store: Value Pet Center

Variety/Selection: 9 If they don't have it is in stock and it is legal they probably can get it for you.
Cleanliness: 7 The occasional dead fish or algae spot but over all healthy fish
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8 would be a nine but there is one employee that lies outright to the customers.(*cough*PJ*clear throat*)
Rated by: IrishPunk4748 11/27/07
City: Ramsey
Store: Fish Town USA

Variety/Selection: 9
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley Rating:
Comments: I've only been to this store once but I was happily surprised at how much they offer. They have a large selection of both freshwater and saltwater fish & invertebrates. I had gone for a guppy and they have some of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. I also picked up some freshwater clams from this store. They had some other oddballs. They also raise some monster goldfish and have an entire room dedicated to goldfish. A very cool fish store, I must say!

Website: [URL="http://"http://www.fishtownusa.net/""]http://www.fishtownusa.net/[/URL]
Rated by: FishAddict99 01/04/08

City: Ramsey
Store: Fishtown USA

Cleanliness and quality: 4
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: ?

Comments: The tanks were hard to see in there was so much algae! Their website showed a great selection, so I made this hour-long trip to this store, and was very disappointed. No rare fish, even though they claim to have some on their site. I'd pass on this one unless you wanted to buy a pre-setup tank, as they had VERY impressive ones.
Rated by: Inchyally 04/06/09
City: Scotch Plains
Store: Pet Shanty

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 10
Smiley rating:
Price: Fair. Never cheap, but never extravagantly pricy either.
Website: [URL="http://"http://www.petshanty.com/""]http://www.petshanty.com/[/URL]
The guys who work here really know what they're doing, and the fish that they have are generally top-notch. Generally, if they don't carry the type of fish you want, the guys are more than willing to order some in. Despite being a smaller store, they have tons of oddballs floating in and out of the store, and they're quite knowledgeable about most types, too. Sometimes a little understaffed seeming though, and because of that, some of the newer tanks can be a bit messy. Nothing too bad, though. It's very home-y and friendly, I love the place.
City: Wayne
Store: Pet Place
Variety/Selection: 6
Cleanliness/Quality:6
Staff knowledge and friendliness: 8, buyer beware, worst return policy on equipment ever, and NO guarantee that your fish will live even past the front door
Rated by: blackguppy 04/01/06
Store: PetSmart
Location: Route 23 South, Next to Home Goods, West Belt Plaza
Variety/Selection: 8
Cleanliness/Quality:8
Staff knowledge and friendliness: 8
Store: Rainbow Aquarium

Staff knowledge and friendliness: 7, expensive
Store: Scuffy's Pet Center

Staff knowledge(4) and friendliness(7): reasonably priced, will price match
City: Woodbridge
Store: Animal and Things

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Fish Dude 02/04/06

NEW YORK
State: New York
City: Albany (on Wolf Road)
Store: Benson's Pet Shop

Variety/Selection: 6
Cleanliness and Quality: 6
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Comments: It's a local pet store not a local fish store so it is half and half. They do have both salt and fresh water fish. Pretty much the same as the previously listed store only cleaner
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Danno 08/17/07
City: Buffalo (North Tonowanda)
Store: The Fish Place

Variety/ Selection: 9 (LOTS of saltwater)
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8 (ask for Joe, at least the kids admit when they don't know )
Smiley rating: (Great quality, but a little pricey)
Rated by: SkiFletch 03/27/06

City: North Tonawanda
Store: The fish Place

Variety/ Selection: 10+++
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 10
Smiley rating:

Love the variety and info from employees.
Rated by: logansmommy41306 06/28/08
City: Buffalo (Amherst)
Store: Markheim Pets

Cleanliness and quality: 7
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7 (ask for Ron)
Smiley rating:
City: Buffalo (Kenmore)
Store: Niagara Aquarium

Cleanliness and quality: 8
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8 (ask for John)
Smiley rating:
City: Buffalo (Amherst)
Store: Steve's Pet World

Variety/ Selection: 6 (adding saltwater soon)
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 10 (ask for Kevin)
Smiley rating:
City: Cobleskill (in the main road)
Store: Canine Cosmopolitan

Variety/Selection: 4
Cleanliness and Quality: 3
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 2
Comments: It's a local pet store not a local fish store so it is half and half. They do have both salt and fresh water fish.
Smiley Rating:
City: Fishkill
Store: Fishtopia

Great selection, and knowledgeable staff. Some of the tanks do have dead fish in them though, and some of the fish I have gotten from here had shorter lifespan than that of other stores I've purchased from.
Rated by: Inchyally 03/30/09
Store: Pet Supplies Plus
Staff are helpful, but these tanks are a little fishy (no pun intended). I have seen obvious cases of ich, and somebody must have pointed it out because they are currently not allowing fish purchases because of illness. They do occasionally have some rare fish, but I am avoiding buying from here due to ich. The staff are very friendly, but some of the people who put the fish in the tanks may not know which fishes to mix and not... for example, I saw a tank of Tiger Barbs and Dwarf Gouramis. The Gouramis were being harassed and looked scared! Another tank had Redtail Sharks with Elephantnoses, and the sharks were also being harassing. They have a great selection of decorations for tanks, though.
Store: Wal-Mart
Variety/ Selection: 2
Cleanliness and quality: 1
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: Didn't ask....

Pretty much what you expect from a Wal-Mart fish section. I feel bad for these fish, Iridescent Sharks being crammed into 10gal, and their Goldfish selection, there were at least 9 or 10 dead fish in there for a LONG time, they only recently cleaned it! I have also seen ich ion these tanks. I have never made a purchase here but my advice: avoid at all costs!
City: Lathem
Store: Eddie's Aquarium

Smiley rating:

Wonderful, Wonderful place. I have NEVER had any problems with them at all.
Rated by: -Nemo- 03/11/07

City: Latham
Store: Eddie's Aquarium

Comments: THIS PLACE IS AMAZING. They have everything and I mean everything...
Smiley Rating:
City: Lockport
Store: Pets Plus

Variety/ Selection: 7 (not alot of fresh water fish)
Smiley rating:

Store has quite a variety, but mostly saltwater
City: Nanuet
Store: Pets Place II
Variety/ Selection: 10
GREAT fish selection, the tanks are crystal clean and all my purchases have been healthy. I wish I could go to this place more often but it's out of the way for me.
City: Newburgh
Store: Pet store and Tropical Aquarium
One guy runs this store, and he definitely knows a lot about fish! This store has a great selection, and I have seen some rare fish here. The only store I've been to that had not a single dead fish in all of the tanks. All my purchases from here have been happy and healthy!
City: Newburgh
Store: Pet Store
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 1 <- got bad advice here
While I have seen some rare fish here, they are in TINY tanks. I saw a freshwater Stingray in a 5-7 gallon tank... multiple Silver Dollars in tanks the same size. I also even saw a corydoras catfish, a fish that needs company, in a tank all by itself. Also, above I mentioned I got bad advice here. We were looking to purchase an Albino Redtail Shark and they insisted we got a Redtail Shark to be a companion. I was new to the hobby at the time and bought both. Shortly after, the Black shark killed the White shark.
City: New York City (Chinatown)
Store: Tropical Wins Aquarium

Variety/ Selection: 9 (this is where I get HM, CT, and plakats for $6; cardinal tetras are $1/per)
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:
Rated by: White Whale 11/14/06
City: Niagara Falls
Store: Blackwinds

Variety/ Selection: 5
Cleanliness and quality: 2
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley rating:

Fish have ich. Staff slow to help you, and give wrong info
City: Poughkeepsie
Cleanliness and quality: 5
There are a lot of fish here, and this is the only store I know of that does not sell any dyed/painted fish. However, I see a lot of dead fish in these tanks. Worth a look, but use caution as there might be disease in these tanks.
City: Queensbury

Store: Bensons
Website: [URL="http://www.bensonpet.com/Locations/index.asp?section=2"]http://www.bensonpet.com/Locations/index.asp?section=2[/URL]
Cleanliness and Quality: 7

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: wonderfully knowledgeable and helpful. all of the staff knows what they are talking about.
Smiley Rating:

Comments: I love going to this store. it is my current favorite. I live in a small area so in this part of new york this is the best option of fish and equipment. the only downside would be the lack of salt water, if you have salt tanks. the staff is truly wonderful and it is always a delight to go there.
Rated by: sailornight6 06/07/09
City: Queensbury

Store: Ceder Crest
Website: <A href="http://www.ccpets.net/" target=_blank>[URL="http://www.ccpets.net/"]http://www.ccpets.net/[/URL]

Cleanliness and Quality: 2

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: if you get the female owner she knows what she is talking about, the male owner is just interested in the sale and the kid they have helping run out the door if you see him.

Smiley Rating:

Comments: this used to be my favorite store for fish the tanks were clean and they had the best variety in their tanks. they are still the best spot to get Nerite Snails and they will special order fish. but you would have to grab them before they drop them in the tank. the last few fish I have gotten from them have died three days after or have been sick. this store is a purely enter at your own risk.
City: Queensbury/Glens Falls
Store: Wal-Mart

Cleanliness and quality:1
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge:3
Smiley Rating:

ppl at Wal-Mart have the poorest quality fish, and they keep betta in TEENY TINY CUPS! THATS JUST CRUEL! THEY HAVE MANY FISH BUT THEY DONT KNO HOW TAKE CARE OF THEM! WAL-MART, GET A CLUE! SELL UR FISH TO A LOVING FISH STORE! -heart
Rated by: ally86ozzy 06/12/08

City: Queensbury/ glens falls

Store: Walmart

Variety/Selection: 3
Cleanliness and Quality:6
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: depends on the person you get

Smiley Rating:

Comments: you know I know a lot of ppl slam Walmart but the fish are actually usually in good shape there and unlike most fish store there is a 90 day return policy on them as well. I tested that as well! I once lost an otto cat about a week after buying it from there, so I returned the body to walmart, and they returned my money without a problem. how many fish stores do that?
they get new fish every other Tuesday as well, so those are the times to get them, but I have found this that most fish are in great shape, even the water cups the bettas are in are bigger then some local stores.
City: Rochester
Store: Pet House

Cleanliness and Quality: 5
Smiley Rating:

Excellent variety of rare fishes, but seemingly sparse knowledge behind some of the specialty fish. The prices are equal to fish rarity, so expect to pay. Conditions most of fish kept in, make me think twice about buying from store. The co-owner has a great knowledge of fish, but in some areas comes up short and the fish seem to pay for this.
Rated by: ox5477 08/28/06
Store: Pet World

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Smiley Rating:

Store has very excellent prices as it is a family owned shop. But lacks many specialty fishes and really has a bland layout and appeal.
Store: The Reef Guys

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley Rating:

Amazing selection of saltwater fish and live rock/reef flora. Very cool shop with low lighting and clean tanks making the fish pop. Knowledge of owner/owners unknown as only person in shop sat at computer and looked up only once. Seemed like fair prices as well.
City: Yorktown
Store: Petland Discounts
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: ?

Not the greatest selection of fish, but the tanks were well maintained. But the 'Discounts' in the name of the store is right on - these are VERY cheap fish. I bought my Dwarf Gourami for only $2 or $3... and he is a healthy fish! I have also seen fish here for under $1, healthy.

NORTH CAROLINA
STATE: North Carolina
CITY: Charlotte
STORE: Fintastic

VARIETY/SELECTION: 9
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 9
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 8 (some of them are a bit stuck-up, though...)

SMILEY RATING:
Rated by: fish fetish65 09/02/06
STORE: Petland

VARIETY/SELECTION: 8
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 4
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 4

SMILEY RATING:
STORE: Pet Supermarket

VARIETY/SELECTION: 6
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 8
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 5

SMILEY RATING:
CITY: Charlotte, Monroe
STORE: Walmart

VARIETY/SELECTION: 4
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 3
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 2

SMILEY RATING:

CITY: Matthews
STORE: Petsmart

VARIETY/SELECTION: 7
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 8
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 10

SMILEY RATING:
CITY: Monroe

STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 5 or 6

SMILEY RATING:
CITY: Pineville
STORE: Frank and Peg's Fish Place

CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 7
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 10

SMILEY RATING:
STORE: Petco

VARIETY/SELECTION: 6
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 6
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 8

SMILEY RATING:

VARIETY/SELECTION: 8
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 7

SMILEY RATING:

OHIO
State: Ohio
City: Brooklyn
Store: Aquarium Adventure
Variety/selection:8
Staff friendliness and knowledge:7----if one doesn't know, they will find someone who might
I was a little leery at first because they are a little pricier....and don't offer much of a guarantee....but I haven't had any fish loss from them as of yet and absolutely love just going to see the custom tanks in this store!
Rated by: kimmers318 06/14/06

City: Brooklyn
Smiley rating:
Rated by: stargirly1208 09/17/07
City: Brook park
Store: RMS Aquaculture

Variety/Selection:10
Cleanliness and Quality:9
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge:10
Smiley Rating:10

Comments:
Great store they have good selection of fish and they seem to be all in good health. Always when I go in there people are changing water and working on the tanks. Staff are knowledgeable as well and actually don't lie to ya to get ya to buy some fish that wouldn't go with your setup. They actually will ask ya what tank set-up you have and give advice on cycling. They normally recommend fish in cycle with like zebra danios or that but that's to be expected since they don't sell ammonia there they'd only be turning you away empty handed if they didn't lol. Also have a very good selection of supplies for both saltwater and freshwater set ups.
Rated by: Bigd5482 06/09/09
City: Bowling Green
Variety/ Selection: 6 for marine, 7 for freshwater
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley rating:
Rated by: stargirly1208 09/17/07
City: Columbus

Smiley rating:

OKLAHOMA
State: Oklahoma
City: Midwest City (close to Oklahoma City)
Store: PetVet
right by Midwest City High school

Variety: 7.5
have a decent FW and SW, as well as some unusual shrimp, have lots of sales too. not too much on live plants though, or care.
Cleanliness: 6
very small but they try
Quality: 7
again small, dont have much for test and upkeep of tank.
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 8.5
the guy i talked to knew what he was talking about with all the fish, but seemed to be very knowledgeable of the unusual fish, both SW and FW.
Rated by: cowboy507 06/21/09

OREGON
State: Oregon
City: Portland
Store: A to Z Pets

Prices: 6
Rated by: blah 08/29/06
Store: Caye's Aquarium

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Prices: 7
Store: CB"s Tropical

Store: Family Pet Center

Prices: 8
Store: Petco on Division & 144th

Store: Petsmart on Johnson Creek & 82nd

Store:
Advanced Aquarium
120 17th St.
97304 Salem, OR

Variety/Selection: 7 (it's a specialty saltwater and reef store)
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Daveo 07/28/07

PENNSYLVANIA
State: Pennsylvania
City: Allentown

Variety/ Selection:8
Smiley rating:
Rated by: kg4t 03/09/08
City: Allentown
Store: Pet Supplies Plus

Variety/ Selection:3
Smiley rating:
Rated by: kg4t 03/09/08
City: Cannonsburg
Store: Wet Pets

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: 3matthew3 09/03/06
Store: Pet Supplies PLUS
City: Easton
Variety/Selection: 6 (only have a few kinds, put save fry)
Cleanliness/Quality: 7 (one or 2 dead)
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 3
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Spader 06/14/06
Store: Walmart
City: Easton
Variety/Selection: 4
Cleanliness/Quality: 3
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 1
Smiley Rating:
City: Emsworth (Pittsburgh)
Store: Aquaworld Pittsburgh

Cleanliness and Quality: 3
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley Rating:
City: Lancaster
Store: That Pet Place/That Fish Place
Website

Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Annastasia 02/04/06
City: Monroeville
Store: Elmer's Aquarium

Smiley Rating:
City: Pittsburgh
Store: A&B Oddball Pets and Aquariums
Smiley rating:

They have a lot of other uncommon freshwater fish,(lots of cichlid varieties) most of which Eric (owner) breeds himself upstairs. There are some regulars (gouramis, tetras) but they aren't bred in the store. Really nice people, when I showed some interest in finding out more he took me upstairs to check out the "fish room" where he breeds most of his stock, and talked with me about it for at least half an hour until he had to close up shop. He really seemed to know his stuff, and there is a guy on staff (manager) who is strictly their plant guy, so they seem to have their bases covered.

I gave them all tens. I don't know if they are the best, but they are far and away the best I have ever seen.
Rated by: starrynightxxi 07/27/06

Smiley rating:

Here's his website. It's not the best site ever, but the store is great. Nobody pressures you to buy anything. Eric actually suggested that I don't buy Eco-Complete and suggested a much cheaper alternative. We talked about planted tanks for a while, and he offered to take some of a plant from a display tank and give it to me! I should ask him to check out his fish room. The upstairs is pretty big. My great aunt used to own a pet shop there, but when her husband died, she sold everything, and he moved in!
Rated by: dasmall1 07/27/06

Smiley Rating:

This store didn't close, some friends/customers of Eric's have bought the store and are now running it under the new name of "A&B Oddball Pets and Aquariums". They have started selling reptiles and are planning on setting up some saltwater in the future as well. They are still offering a good range of fish, and bought a lot of Eric's stock off of him so the quality is much the same. The new owners are very friendly and seem to know their stuff although I didn't get a chance to get to know them like I did with Eric. The store manager under Eric, Tim Gross, is still there.

If you're in the area I think it's definitely worth your while to check them out. As a new store they could really use the support of the community.

All Oddball Aquatics is still owned by Eric, but he sells mostly through Aquabid and to breeders. His website is horribly out of date and has no stock list, but his email is still current so if you're interested, you can contact him that way.
Updated by: starrynightxxi 08/05/08
City: Pleasant Hills (Near Pittsburgh)

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley rating:
Store: One Fish Two Fish
City: Saylorsburg
Variety/Selection: 9 (lots of fish LOTS)
Cleanliness/Quality: 4 (too many dead fish)
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 8
Smiley Rating:
City: West Mifflin (Near Pittsburgh)
Store: PetSmart

Smiley rating:
City: Whitehall
Store: Atlantis

Smiley rating:

Great only for saltwater. If you're into freshwater, they have almost zero selection of anything although they advertise that they do.

RHODE ISLAND
State: Rhode Island
City: Providence
Store: Aqua Life Central
(401) 331-5376
[URL="http://www.aqualifecentral.com/"]http://www.aqualifecentral.com/[/URL]
389 Wickenden Street
Providence RI 02903

Staff Friendliness: 10
Staff Knowledge: 10
Smiley rating:

Summary:
Aqua Life Central is a true Mom & Pop operation, and this place is awesome. I can't say enough good things about them, and I don't think I would buy fish or plants anywhere else. If you're considering buying fish or plants in RI or SE MA, go to Aqua Life Central. Can you tell that I like this place? They have a few gorgeous saltwater tanks, but not a huge saltwater selection.
Rated by: LennyMansfield 05/23/07

State: Rhode Island
City: Providence
Store: RI Aquarium & Pet Center
(401) 274-2520
[URL="http://www.riaquarium.com"]http://www.riaquarium.com[/URL]
905 N Main St
Providence, RI 02904

Cleanliness and Quality: 5
Staff Friendliness: 5
Staff Knowledge: (can't rate as I haven't asked them any questions)
Smiley rating:

Summary:
Huge selection of fresh and saltwater. Some tanks are extremely small for their occupants and definitely weren't the cleanest either. Worth stopping by to look at the fish if you're in Providence and on your way to Aqua Life Central.
Rated by: LennyMansfield 05/23/07

SOUTH CAROLINA
State: South Carolina
City: Charleston (Remount Rd)
Store: Tideline

Variety/Selection: 9 (fresh and saltwater, all sizes)
Clean/Quality: 7 (Store and tanks spotless, I have had problems with disease)
Staff: 9 (know more than me, but don't act like it)

If you live in this neck of the woods this is the place to go. Only problem, not open on Sunday. I was also told if some of my choices got too big they would take them back. Not true!
Rated by: bmcelfresh 02/23/07
City: Columbia
Store: Fishy Business

Variety/Selection: 8 (good saltwater selection, can order too)
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8 (great staff!)
Smiley Rating:

Summary: I've dealt with one KNUCKLEHEAD there but he's rarely ever there for some reason. Totally dedicated to fish, very knowledgeable and friendly, great place to buy your fish. If they don't have it they can order it.
Rated by: Iron Man 03/27/06

Store: Fishy Business (Bush River Road)

Smiley rating:

A decent fish shop, but could use ALOT of work. They have a really large selection, however! They do have alot of dead/dying fish in their tanks. Staff just doesn't look like they care any. I will give them one major plus. Their plants are totally snail free. Plants might be in the best condition sometimes, but b/c they keep fish with them that will eat snails... those plant tanks have absolutely no snails anywhere to be seen. And a very bad negative about this place besides the dead/dying fish... the 2nd time we've gone in there, they were selling dyed glass fish. *sigh* Really wish places would just stop accepting those fish from their suppliers.
Rated by: Amunet 02/12/07
City: Columbia (Garners Ferry Rd)
Name: Pet Lover's Warehouse

Cleanliness: 9
Varity: 7
Staff Knowledge: n/a personally
Comments: The only place I've found that sells Bio-Spira. Also even though they don't have alot of variety with their fish, most of the fish seem very healthy and very happy. Only gripe I have with the place is that they keep their male bettas in VERY tiny cups. But I'm pretty sure the bettas sell very quickly. We went in 2 days in a row and there were different bettas being sold the next day. Oh wait.. I have another gripe.. they sell those god-awful donut looking tank things for bettas.
The staff do seem to know some info though. We didn't really get to talk to anyone, but they have signs on some of their animals that tell people that they need to have certain things and if they don't they shouldn't be buying it. Also with their small planted section they mention that CO2 is something to look into. So yeah.. they know some stuff heh.
Rated by: Amunet 03/24/07
Store: Petsmart (Two Notch Road)

Cleanliness and quality: 3
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 5 (staff is friendly, but they don't know much)
Smiley rating:

This particular one used to be half way decent, but every single time we've gone in there now, their fish just seem to be getting in worse and worse condition. Half of their fish are dead, the other half are picking at them already. Their tanks are just filthy.. and just.. yeck.
Store: Petsmart (Harbison Blvd)

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: n/a
Smiley rating:

Surprising all of their tanks were VERY clean and had absolutely no dead fish in any of them. If it weren't so far away, I'd love to make it store we go to. Only complaint I have about it though.. same with every other petstore... they kept their bettas in those awful cups.
Store: Superpets (Decker Blvd)

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 4
Smiley rating:

They've gotten a bit better with keeping their fish. A few dead ones floating around, but not too many. Their employees don't know anything, but they are friendly. They also have a really good decor section. Not the castle etc type stuff, but rocks and driftwood type of things.
City: Greenville
Varity: NA
Quality/Cleanliness: 3
Staff Friendliness: 0
General Traffic Situation
Smiley rating:

Summary: Wide selection of various aquarium equipment however their actual fish leave alot of room for improvement. Varity rating is NA because out of stock on just about everything. Bettas are in some horrible conditions, it's just a small bowl, heck even Petsmart and Petsland has their betta connected to filtered water. Cleanliness wasn't that great. No even made notice that I was around or asked if I could get help. Traffic isn't too bad but can be if it's the right time.
Rated by: DeDeHavenII 07/19/07
Store: Petsland
Location: On Woodruff Rd across the street from Northern Tools
Varity: 10
Quality/Cleanliness: 6
Staff Friendliness/Knowledge: 5
General traffic situation
Smiley rating:

Summary: A small pet store that has a wide selection of freshwater and saltwater fish, along with quite a few display tanks. Does indeed carry a BN Pleco and a shovelnose cat. Quality is pretty good however a large amount of algae in few tanks. Trey does know a few things however isn't the most friendly of people. Traffic is a total nightmare however and would avoid unless you really like sitting in a hot car for about 10 minutes just trying to get out of the parking lot.
General Traffic Situation:
Smiley Rating

Summary: Large chain, best pet store around. almost everyone of the staff is friendly and knows what they are doing. Their quality is something to be desired but this is due to a couple of morons running the tanks into the ground for about a year. Their variety does rival Petsland. Though no saltwater fish. Getting in and out of the parking lot is a breeze too, from Greer or Greenville.
City: Irmo

Variety/Selection: 8 (good freshwater selection, no saltwater)
Cleanliness and Quality: 8 (very clean, rarely a dead fish or disease of any kind, all healthy fish)
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8 (mainly young folks but all are mature, knowledgeable, and friendly)
Smiley Rating:

Summary: Come here to get the freshwater fish you couldn't find at fishy business. They just might have them. Weekends are not the best time, they get busy.
Rated by: Iron Man 03/27/06

SOUTH DAKOTA
State: South Dakota
City: Sioux Falls
Store: Mini Critters 49th Louise

Variety/Selection: 9---if they don't have it they'll order it or, if fish is unavailable at the time, take your name and call you when it becomes available from the supplier. Sometimes we go there just to look!
Cleanliness/Quality: 9 rarely if ever see dead things. I've never seen an unkempt aquarium there.
Staff Friendliness: 5--I think they might be more friendly if they had more time. They are a REALLY busy store, esp. weekends, and they're rushed.
Knowledge: 9 They've given great advice and if one person doesn't know an answer they'll try to consult with the other associates.
Smiley rating:

They have two awesome saltwater show tanks(items aren't for sale from those) containing rays and various fish. They also sell small animals, birds, puppies, and some reptiles. Of course they sell a ton of accessories too.

Gives them an overall of 80%.
Rated by: kj23502 01/24/08

TENNESSEE
state: Tennessee
city: Brentwood
store: Petsmart
variety/selection 4
cleanliness and quality 5
staff friendly and knowledge 6

this store has low quality everything except the warranty which covers a full 2 weeks. I'll give it a 5 total
Rated by: seth 04/13/06
State: Tennessee
City: Chattanooga
Store: Bermuda Triangle

Cleanliness & Quality:6
Staff Friendliness: 8.5
Staff Knowledge: 9.9

Summary: They have fish I've never seen in my entire life! I saw a 10x12x10 aquarium half filled with JUVIENILE African Butterflyfish for $8.50 a fish. There's a new owner though. Old one got shut down by the state, he had a bonnethead shark in the back or at least, that's what I heard. Oh and new guy has 5 gal per betta! He must be loaded!!!!Huge remodeled and a new brackish wing built on month before last, tanks are cycled, fish are well fed, and he even has a small (legal) shark section in back! He's got BLACK BANDED/CAT SHARKS!!!

EDIT: Last time I was there, he had the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme playing through the whole store as well as a newbie there who was pretty funny to watch.
Rated by: The_Dude 05/04/07
City: Cleveland
Store: Michael's Aquatics ( I think that is the name )
Variety/Selection: 8-9 ( about half/half salt/fresh )
Cleanliness/Quality: 7ish (local guy, so the place is a little messy)
Staff Knowledge: 9
Overall: -9000 He stocks injected fish. Only place with rams in town.
Rated by: ShadowMeldFS 04/01/06
state: Tennessee
city: Columbia
store: the Columbia pet shop
variety/selection 7
cleanliness and quality 8
staff friendly and knowledge 8

this store has a good selection with friendly staff. but they don't always know what they are talking about.
City: Knoxville
Store: Aquarium Connection

Smiley rating:
Comments: This is one of the only stores in my area and I'm happy to say they are really quite good. Their prices tend to be a bit high but then so is the quality of their fish. The do offer memberships which can get you coupons and member web specials.
Rated by: Starr 02/08/08
city: Nolensville
store: aquatic critter
variety/selection 9
cleanliness and quality 10
staff friendly and knowledge 10

the store is the place to go for fish. the staff is extremely knowledgeable and the selection is great for fresh and salt water. they are just an A+ fish store!
City: Paris
Store: Petite Pets

Smiley rating:

Only actual LFS near me. Sometimes they are real friendly sometimes there not. It depends on the day.
Rated by: logansmommy41306
Locale: SouthEast
City: Cleveland
Location: Paul Huff Parkway next to CiCi's and Piere One (if I spelled it right )
Cleanliness/Quality: 4 ( really bad ich outbreak atm )
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: N/A ( I've not had a conversation other than gimme )
Rated by: ShadowMeldFS 04/01/06

TEXAS
State: Texas
City: Lufkin
Store: Pet Center

Smiley rating:
Comments: An okay shop overall, I don't feel bad spending my money there, but the customer service leaves much to be desired. Most of the employees don't have a clue what they're doing when it comes to the fish. The manager, while quite knowledgeable about saltwater, still advocates keeping goldfish in bowls despite my pointing out that their goldfish bowl display has gone through 3 fish in 3 months.
Rated by: Synirr 05/02/06
City: Nacogdoches
Store: Discovery Realm Aquatics

Smiley rating:
Comments: The quality of the advice you get depends on who's working that day, but more than half the employees are very knowledgeable about fish, with others having more interest in the other animals they carry.
City: Nacogdoches
Store: Fish Gallery

Smiley rating:
Comments: Kinda a hole-in-the-wall place, but the fish are healthy and cared for and the owner is always willing to help and wouldn't knowing lie to you to make a sale.
City: Nederland
Store: Maraist Tropical Fish

Staff friendliness and Knowledge:6
Smiley rating:
Comments: Pretty small building, but has a good variety of fish. I gave it a low staff rating because there's only one guy that works at the whole place. He does keep the place quite clean though and is always willing to help
Rated by: catastrophi 05/07/06
City: Nederland
Store: Pet Den

Variety/ Selection: 2
Smiley rating:
Comments: well the only reason the variety/selection is so low is because they haven't rebuilt their main building yet which had the fish. hurricane Rita did its toll on it. so they only offer supplies but are kind of pricey. the staff at the temporary building doesn't know very much about fish.
Rated by: catastrophi 05/07/06
City: San Antonio
Store: Alamo Aquatics

Rated by: RRasco 08/28/06
City: San Antonio
Store: Fintique

Rated by: RRasco 08/28/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back