KANSAS
State: Kansas
City: Lawrence
Store: Pet World

Variety/ Selection: 8
Cleanliness and quality: 7
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley rating:

Tons of fish, great variety. The fish seem healthy, but not all of them really are. I still have some that I got here two years ago and survived being moved across the country. The people aren't very helpful and I'm pretty sure they sell bettas to people that fight them. Still, a pretty good store.
Rated by: Sackett 11/05/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
City: Topeka
Store: Petco

Variety/ Selection: 3
Cleanliness and Quality: 1
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 1
Comments: Horrible, horrible, horrible. These people don't have a clue about fish. Every time I have gone in they've had an outbreak of ich, yet they are still selling the fish. Tons of dead and sick fish. They even sell saltwater fish, and they usually look like they would die before you got them home. And it often smells in the store, especially in the summer.
Smiley rating:
Rated by: dthoffsett 04/12/06, ratings still current as of 06/04/09 -Dawn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Store: Petsmart

Cleanliness and quality: 8
Comments: Amazingly enough this is a very well kept store, nice looking healthy fish with a good variety. The only reason I gave the staff a 5 is because there is only 1 person in their fish dept that know how to properly take care of fish and give good advice. So, not great for the beginner, but excellent if you know what you are looking for.
Smiley rating:
Store: Safari Pets

Variety/Selection: 5
Cleanliness and Quality: 10
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 10
Comments: THE place to go if your into saltwater, great selection of corals, and inverts, as well as oddball saltwater fish. Also has a good selection of larger South American cichlids, just not that many tanks as this is a small locally owned shop. The owner and the staff are great, and will always make sure you have a proper set up before letting their fish go.
Smiley Rating:

KENTUCKY
State: Kentucky
City: Louisville
Store: Feeders Supply

Variety/ Selection: 7
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley rating:
Rated by: Durbkat 02/04/06
City: Louisville
Store: Pets Galore

Variety/ Selection: 5
Cleanliness and Quality: 7
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley rating:
Rated by: Durbkat 02/04/06
City: Murray
Store: Walmart

Variety/ Selection: 1
Cleanliness and quality: 1
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 1
Smiley rating:

Fish are ALWAYS sick. Tons of dead fish in tanks
Rated by: logansmommy41306 11/21/07
City: Russell
Store: Bert's Pet Center

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:
Rated by: CatLover 07/21/06
City: Russell
Store: PetLand

Variety/Selection: 6
Cleanliness and quality: 6
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 2
Smiley rating:
Rated by: CatLover 07/21/06

LOUISIANA
STATE; LOUISISANA
CITY: Kenner, right outside of New Orleans
STORE:ACUATIC SPECIALTIES
VARIETY; 6
CLEANLINESS; 5
STAFF; 5
THEY CARRY SOME FISH THAT OTHERS DONT HAVE BUT THEIR VARIETY IS KINDA SMALL

Rated by: gettotank110 02/21/07
state: LOUISISANA
City: Metrie, right outside of New Orleans
Store: 50 FATHOMS

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 10
THESE GUYS ARE VERY HELPFULL

Rated by: gettotank110 02/21/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]

MAINE
State: Maine
City: Augusta

Variety/Selection: 8 - some neat oddballs and not over ridden with commons
Cleanliness/Quality: It seems clean and well cared for, I haven't bought anything live from them
Staff Knowledge/Friendliness: The department manager is the only one I've met - she gets a 9. She was very knowledgeable and friendly, but limited on certain product information.
Rated by: ClownKnifeMommy 05/21/08
City: Bangor
Store: Pet Quarters

Variety/Selection:9.75
Cleanliness and Quality: 9.55
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8.997
Rated by: qwikimpss 05/16/06
City: Belfast
Store: Foster's Family Pet Center

Variety/Selection: 9 - some interesting FW species
Cleanliness/Quality: 4 - the store has been stripped of its rights to sell cats & dogs due to abuse, the tanks are dirty
Staff Knowledge & Friendliness: 4 They know NOTHING, and readily tell customers that, though they're very polite and friendly, ironic?
City: Bucksport
Store: Vance's Tropical Fish and Exotic Pets
[URL="http://"http://www.vancestropicalfish.com/frameset.htm""]http://www.vancestropicalfish.com/frameset.htm[/URL]

Variety/Selection: 9.0
Cleanliness and quality: 10
Staff friendliness and knowledge: 10+ Vance, who owns the place, tends the shop 99% of the time, he is probably the nicest guy I have met in the Biz and is by far the most knowledgeable
Rated by: qwikimpss 05/16/06
City: Rockland
Store: Hollydach's Pet Center

Variety/Selection: 4 - nothing great
Cleanliness/Quality: 8 - I've never seen dead fish in the tanks, and appear mostly healthy
Staff knowledge and friendliness: 7 - they're more arrogant than knowledgeable in my opinion

MARYLAND
State: Maryland
City: Bel Air
Store: Neptune's Den

Variety/ Selection: 6
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: ?
Smiley Rating:

This place is huge as well, but half the store is for pet foods and such for other pets other than fish. They have a nice selection of fish. I gave cleanliness/quality a 7 because even though most are healthy, the tanks aren't as nice as they could be. Some tanks have no gravel which makes me sad...
Rated by: chibi 08/17/06
City: Bel Air, MD
Variety/Selection: 7
Cleanliness/Quality: 6
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 7
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: BluexEmber 07/11/06
Store: PetSmart
City: Bel Air, MD
Variety/Selection: 9 (they have a lot of fish)
Cleanliness/Quality: 9
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 7
Smiley Rating: B) Not bad for a PetSmart
City: Bethesda
Name: Westwood pet center

Variety: 5 (good barbs and guppies)
Cleanliness: 7
Staff intelligence: 9
Rated by: Recky10 01/05/08
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
City: Gaithersburg
Store: Tropical Fish World;
Website

Variety/ Selection: 9 (If you're into Cichlids)
Cleanliness and Quality: 8
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Annastasia 02/04/06

City: Gaithersburg
Store: Tropical Fish World (Gaithersburgh)
Variety/ Selection: 9
Cleanliness and quality: 9+
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 9+
Smiley Rating:

Big store, great fish selection (OK equipment selection), good plant selection. Nearly ideal staff - patient, knowledgeable, and friendly - with both plant and pleco experts. 500 gallon display tank with an Arapima. Prices are good, and sales are better. Highly recommended. Wish it weren't such a pain in the butt for me to get to.
Rated by: tophat665 02/14/07
City: Glen Burnie
Store: House of Tropicals

Variety/Selection: 8
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 1

Notes: A lot of fish with some great variety going, they even have suriname toads which floored me. What an oddball!!! But alas their employees are ridiculously unfriendly. They shouldn't be working as sales at any store. I had to say hello to one person 3 times before she would stop staring at me and say hello for once. Also an employee came up and asked another one what the price of a fish was. He said probably 6.95, but make it 7.95. That pissed me off. Great fish, bad employees. Overall 6/10

p.s. go during the day at this one as well.
Rated by: ArauraDiscus 07/31/07
City: Hampstead
Store: Deep Blue Tropicals

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 5

Notes: Small store with healthy fish and clean tanks, some real oddballs too, but the staff is comprised of the owner and his wife. She doesn't know much at all about fish, and the owner is very arrogant and doesn't accept other people's opinions. Overall 6/10
Store: Tom's Tropicals
City: Perry Hall, MD
Cleanliness/Quality: 10 (can't find any dead fish)
Staff Knowledge and friendliness: 8
Smiley Rating:

City: Perry Hall
Store: Tom's Tropicals

Cleanliness and Quality: 5
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley Rating:

This place is small, the selection is a bit lacking, and there are often sickly/dead fish in the tanks. They have a nice supply of equipment there though. The staff is really nice and helpful. This place also sells pets like bunnies and guinea pigs, strange ones like tarantulas and lizards, and feeder mice/fish/bugs. I've never had a huge success with their fish... it's usually a hit-or-miss. It's best to quarantine them before adding them to your tank. If they are sick, they will die within 2 days. If they survive, I'd say they are healthy enough for your main tank.
City: Randallstown
Store: The Aquarium Center;
Website

Cleanliness and Quality: 9
Smiley Rating:
City: Randallstown
Store: Aquarium Depot

Variety/Selection: 7
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 4

Notes: Used to be a top 3 fish store on the east coast, with amazing variety, sparkling tanks, and friendly employees while under the name Aquarium Center. Has since degraded in a big way but is still a good fish store, overall a 7/10

p.s. go during the day, it's in a slightly bad area and there are a few thugs and possibly gang members walking around.
City: Rockville
Store: Congressional Aquarium, Inc
Wesbite

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Smiley Rating:
City: Silver Spring
Name: Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse
Address:
Cloverly Towne Center
744 Cloverly Street
Phone: 301-384-7839
(No website)

Variety: They have a ton of "oddball" fish, along with a good healthy variety of freshwater and saltwater fish. I'd give it a 9.

Cleanliness and Quality: Very good. It's a lovely store, the fish all look great, the tanks are nice and clean. 10.

Staff Friendliness and Knowledgeablility: I haven't tested them yet ( ), but they were very sweet. They even offered to move my 90g for me when I moved. So 10 on the first part, not sure yet on the second part.
Rated by: Annastasia 08/28/06

Name: Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse
Address:
Cloverly Towne Center
744 Cloverly Street
Phone: 301-384-7839

Variety: 9 - Good variety of relatively odd fish, discus, and piranha. Good selection of other stuff. Have alot of live foods. Plant selection varies.
Cleanliness and Quality: 9 - Brand new and they make an effort to keep it looking that way, so it's clean and I've rarely seen any signs of diseased fish (unlike some of their competition). I'll be buying all my fish here for my new tank.
Staff Friendliness and Knowledgeablility: 9 I haven't asked any specific fish questions (mostly on pricing and "can you get XX?", but overhead one employee giving a good explanation of the nitrogen cycle to another customer.)
Pricing: 8- Good prices on fish, a bit high on some accessories.
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: loachman 03/15/07
Store: Tropical Lagoon

Staff Friendliness: 10
Staff Knowledge: Not sure

have been in the Hobby strong 10 years. Only been to the store Twice can't tell you their Knowledge, but was friendly. Store is average sized. Nothing big.
Rated by: freshwaterfishlover 10/13/07
City: Westminister

Notes: A large aquatics section for a chain store, fish are always healthy looking (except for their angelfish) and tanks are spotless. Employees are ridiculously friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt. Overall 7/10
City: Wheaton
Store: Showcase Aquariums

Staff Friendliness: 10
Staff Knowledge: 10

Been in business since 1968. Average prices. He has all the common Fish nothing oddball.
Rated by: freshwaterfishlover 10/13/07
City: White Marsh
Store: Exotic Aquatics

Smiley Rating:

This place is really great. It's HUGE, and the quality is great. I gave the selection an 8 because it's the best I've been to personally, but I haven't been to a bigger store. They have an enormous selection of marine fish, a row of cichlids, and some fish that are HUGE. They have a corydoras there that is so big and old (2 ft+) that they have offered it to the Baltimore Aquarium because no one can accommodate it. All the tanks are properly cared for, and are equipped with plants, gravel, and even decoration. They have nice prices and nice people who work there. Not that this has to do with anything, but they're a bit pervy... XD I've had success with all the fish I've gotten from there. If they have sick fish in a tank and you ask for a fish from it, they'll tell you it's not a good idea. I love the store! If you aren't from around here, it's worth a 30 minute drive any day!

MASSACHUSETTS
State: Massachusetts
City: Agawam
Store: Daves Soda and Pet food city
Variety 10
Cleanliness and Quality 5.5
Knowledge 7.5

Almost a last resort around here (besides Walmart) I always see dead or dying fish in their tanks and the fish I have bought from them always seem to need a little extra time in the quarantine tank...
Rated by: brandonsmommy 09/30/06
City: Boston (in Chinatown)
Store: Aqua World Pet Supply

Variety/ Selection: 2 (mostly goldfish, koi, arowanas, flowerhorns and other ridiculously expensive fish)
Cleanliness and quality: 9
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: I never asked any questions here so it would be inappropriate to rate this.
Prices: 5
Rated by: meepster 06/24/06
City: Boston (in the village of Allston)
Store: The Pet Shop (started way back... that's how he managed to trademark that name lmao)

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Prices: 5

City: Boston (in the town of Roxbury)
Store: Skipton Pet Center

Prices: 6
City: Brighton

Variety/ Selection: 8 (the quality of the fish is better than you would think for a chain store)
Cleanliness: 6 (store smells like old dog food and crickets run wild through the store but it's not like I would lick the ground now would I?)
quality: 10
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 10 (most of the time)
Prices: 8 (best prices around (only because the closest Wal-Mart is on the other side of the state from Boston))
City: Canton
Store: Coolen's Aquarium & Pet Supply
(781) 821-2044
35 Washington St
Canton, MA 02021

Staff Friendliness: 8
Staff Knowledge: 4
Smiley rating:

Summary:
Another nice small shop that is located at Cobb's Corner. They have a decent fish selection. Staff is very friendly but not the most knowledgeable (from my experience). I've been in once where the tanks were atrocious, but on other visits they have been much better I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Rated by: LennyMansfield 05/23/07
state: Massachusetts
city: feeding hills
store: aqua dreams
selection: 10 this is mainly a saltwater shop. corals and the like. they have a freshwater selection that is pretty good too though. and I am sure they could and would order anything you want.
cleanliness:10 they are always the nicest looking shop I can get to. quality:10 always healthy beautiful stock
staff:10 they have answered most of my questions with questions of their own and then gotten to the right answer dependent upon my descriptions of what I want. I went there six times before I bought a thing and the only thing they really tried to sell me was a book.
smiley:
when I get a saltwater tank I will go nowhere else.
Rated by: plantropimunity 05/21/06
city: Hadley
store name: exotic fish and pet
selection: 9 they keep a lot of different and rare fish, and will order whatever you need whether alive or not
cleanliness:9 always cleaning one tank or another, and I never see dead fish in the tanks.
staff: 10 if they don't know(not often) they tell you, then they find out.
smiley
this is my favorite store around here.
city: Holyoke
store: Petco
selection:5 good beginners species choices, good food section.
cleanliness/quality:2 don't buy most of the fish in there. even IF they are alive. if you want saltwater; RUN AWAY!!!!!!!
staff:1 when they are around, they are good for catching fish. that's about it.
smiley:
this is my least favorite store for anything alive. I will occasionally buy food there though.
city: Indian Orchard
store name: James tropical fish
selection: 8 (good variety of fish, decent saltwater section, and ordering ability)
cleanliness/quality 4 (they are remodeling though)
staff 4-5 lots of younger employees, but they occasionally know what's up
smiley
State: Mass
City: Leominster
Website: [URL="http://www.petco.com"]http://www.petco.com[/URL]

Variety/Selection: 4
Cleanliness and Quality:3
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge:4
Smiley Rating:3

Comments: will not go back
Rated by: h4hapoo 06/14/09
City: Northborough
Store: Mayo's Pets and More

Cleanliness & Quality: 9
Staff friendliness & knowledge: 10

Summary: They have no problem talking to you for hours to help you with any questions you have! It is a family run business, so when you go there, you are either talking to the owner, his wife, or his son (who is probably 40), and all of them have fish tanks of their own and know a good amount about them, particularly the owner, Mr. Mayo. On numerous occasions, he has stayed past closing hour to talk to me about my fish and help me out, and he ALWAYS talks me out of buying expensive stuff and shows me cheaper and usually better alternatives. From day one they treated me as a friend rather than a customer, and I have never gone anywhere else since!!!!
Rated by: ab420 08/05/06
City: South Easton
Store: Belmont Pet
(508) 230-3037
502 Foundry St
South Easton, MA 02375

Staff Friendliness: 6
Staff Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:

Summary:
A decent little shop that offers a customer card, you basically get $10 off when you spend $100. They have about 2/3 tropical, 1/3 goldfish and saltwater. Prices are fair for tropical (can't speak to the other 1/3). They are open pretty late.
Rated by: LennyMansfield 05/23/07
City: Southwick
Store: The Coral Reef
An absolute 10 in all categories!

Really nice family owned business who really know what they are doing, they buy locally and get more fish every Monday! Prices can be a little higher on some things though...
Rated by: brandonsmommy 09/30/06
City: Taunton
Store: Ken's Fish

Variety/Selection: 10 (great fish food selections)
Cleanliness and Quality: N/A (He sells stuff online mostly and doesn't have a store front)
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: N/A (He sells aquarium equipment. I have never asked him anything before so rating this would be inappropriate)
Pricing: 10 (best prices around even with tax and shipping included)

MICHIGAN
State: Michigan
City: Bad Axe
Name: The Fish Store

Variety: I was never let down. If Chopper didn't have it he would try really hard to find it.

Cleanliness and quality: Both excellent. Great care was taken to keep the tanks clean and the store nice. It's not one of those flashy places, but a great one to go to.

Staff friendliness and knowledgeablitliy: Excellent. Honest also. If I had a question that Chopper didn't know the answer to he would find out and let me know. When you are dealt with you feel like his only customer. Also, I moved recently and was told to continue to call if I needed help.
Smiley rating:
Rated by: philq 08/26/06
City: Bay City
Store: Meijer (Wilder Road)

I'm not giving this one ratings, because their fish suck as much as any grocery store fish. However, the recently redid their pet section, and now they're actually one of the best places in the Tri-Cities to get plants. The other Meijer locations have plants as bad as their fish, but this location for some reason has plants on par with Aquatic Gardens in Zilwaukee, and actually better than any other LFS in the area. The selection is bigger, the plants are healthy, and there are no terrestrial plants mixed in, the closest thing is some plants that do best only partially submerged like banana plants. Only downside: Check for ramshorn snails, as their tanks are overrun with the things.
Rated by: Corleone 08/10/08
City: Bay City
Store: Soldan's

Cleanliness and quality: 3
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley rating:

There's always somebody on duty who knows fish, but sometimes only one, and good luck getting a hold of them. The people who work out in the store aren't as knowledgeable, but can give good basic info. Fish tanks are clean, but often contain dead or dying fish, sometimes for several days. Do carry a handful of rare fish you can't find anywhere else in the Tri Cities. They do give a 5 day guarantee, most places don't.

Edit 8/7/08: Downgraded their cleanliness - I made note of a dead fish stuck between a tank and the access panel behind it and have confirmed that it's been there every time I've stopped in for over two months now.
Rated by: Corleone 05/05/08
City: Clio
Store: Something Fishy

Variety/Selection: 10
Staff friendliness: 8
Staff knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:

Overturns Scales and Tales as my favorite place, even without S&T's recent disease problems.

The place is huge. The first thing you see when you walk in is the biggest selection of corals I've ever seen - the tank is about ten feet long and that's just the display. Two large banks of marine fish, a lot of stuff I haven't even seen in my books. Only place I've ever seen with a distinctly labeled brackish section, and had an amazing selection in it, all in excellent health. Limited selection of everything that isn't alive. Staff knowledge isn't amazing, but they're a good cut above the LFS standard. They actually know a lot about the fish they sell - on prompting they could rattle off an impressive bit about compatibility, they gave reasonable tank size suggestions (I heard them actually saying an oscar would outgrow a 55 gallon - I don't think I've found a store that didn't say they would be fine in a 30 gallon), including SG ranges for their brackish selection. Their cycling advice is pretty decent, too - while not fishless, if you listen to them you'd at least have a fighting chance against new tank syndrome.
City: Flint
Store: PetCo

I'm splitting the scores into three, since the wild differences in quality from one section to the next makes it impossible to put one number on it.
Variety/Selection: Freshwater: 2 Saltwater: 6 Bettas: 10
Cleanliness and Quality: Freshwater: 0! Saltwater: 8 Bettas: 5
Staff friendliness: 6
Staff knowledge: 0
Smiley rating: There isn't a sufficiently confused smiley.

Ok, this place is a whole mess. Their freshwater tanks are a travesty - dead, sick, dying fish, the place just doesn't smell healthy. The staff is lucky if they know which end of a fish eats, and while friendly it just means they throw their cluelessness at customers. The hardware section is pretty good, at least - slightly better than any of the PetSmart's in the area, and the prices are pretty good.

Their bettas are in rough shape, but the selection of bettas is immense - only place between the Tri-Counties or Genessee county that carries double tails or halfmoons, and has many amazing colors. If you want something other than a blue and red veiltail, this is the place, or the long drive to Lansing.

They recently added a saltwater section. I heard about this a few weeks ago and decided I'd check it out and see how bad it is. I was surprised that they actually take care of it. There's a guy who hovers around that section who actually knows something, and when I asked him questions about cycling marine tanks, I got advice on fishless cycling (A first in any store, period) using live rock. The selection and quality has nothing on Something Fishy, though they had a few fish that SF didn't, and their selection eclipses anything in the Tri-Counties, and is in better condition than Ocean Odyssey in Saginaw.
City: Flint

Staff friendliness: 7
Staff knowledge: 2
Smiley rating:

Typical PetSmart. Vastly better than the PetCo in the next plaza over for freshwater fish, but that's not saying much. A bit better than Saginaw overall, a bit worse than Midland.
City: Lansing
Store: Preuss Animal House [URL="http://"http://preusspets.com/""]http://preusspets.com/[/URL]

Variety/ Selection: 10
Smiley Rating:
Comments: This is the Disneyland of LFS. The owner is on-site 90% of the time, and all the staff are extremely educated. They are an exotic specialty store- not really dog/cat stuff, and all staff are specialized so that they only work in their area. I have never seen another store like this, it really is something you have to experience. They do a lot of community education as well, which is awesome.
Rated by: ImperfectFaerie 09/05/06

City: Lansing
Store: Preuss Pets
[URL="http://"http://www.preusspets.com/""]http://www.preusspets.com/[/URL]

Smiley Rating:

I know it was already done, I just wanted to add that if you live within 2 hours of the store it's worth checking out. I have been there countless time.....they consider me and my brother regulars....and it's a little over an hour away! And their prices are great, lower than the discount pet stores on almost everything.
Oh, and I think the smiley rating should be lol
Rated by: Mr.Cal 12/29/07
City: Livonia
Store: Fantastic Fins

Smiley rating:

Comments: Dale and Chris run a friendly shop with good variety and are passionate about what they do. It's the kind of place that welcomes you even if you are just stopping by to chat and window shop.
Rated by: gazoo 09/25/06
City: Midland

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: unsure
Smiley rating:

No experience with the staff, but the tanks are cleaner and the fish much healthier than the ones in Saginaw. Slightly better selection, probably owing to the same water differences mentioned under Soldan's.
City: Midland
Store: Soldans

Cleanliness and quality: 6
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: unknown
Smiley rating:

Same chain, but a cleaner store with a better selection. Little experience with the service, but they were the only place in the Tri Cities you could get Bio-Spira with any hope of it actually working. Midland's tap water is a bit softer and lower pH than in Saginaw or Bay City, so you can find a few species here in better condition than anywhere in Saginaw (and vice-versa), but good luck getting them to survive the transition.
City: Petoskey
Store: Tropical Cove

Variety/Selection: 9- fresh and saltwater beauties, plants, and equipment
Cleanliness and Quality: 7-saw one tank of gourami being treated for ich
Pricing: ? more expensive than Walmart, but better quality

(The only fish store within 100 miles of me that I know of - I don't have much to compare to, but the staff is great.)
Rated by: NuBFishMomma 06/24/06
City: Portage
Store: MV Pets

Variety/Selection: 3
Cleanliness: 5
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 4 It really depends on who is there. There are two owners, and the one talks out of his ###### all the time
Smiley Rating:
Overall I don't recommend buying fish from here because I've seen some very sick fish many times. My brother has been bit a few times from buying fish there. They did just move to a new store so their selection is not the greatest right now, but it never was in their old store. They no longer have any plants...basically the saltwater stuff is the only good part about this store.
Rated by: Mr.Cal 12/29/07
City: Saginaw
Store: Animal Kingdom

Cleanliness and Quality: 6
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Smiley rating:

Pet Paradise's management apparently parted ways. Pet Paradise is closed, the more knowledgeable staff now works at this store. It's cramped, almost as cramped as Scales and Tails, but it is a slightly better store than Pet Paradise.

They've stopped passing off painted fish as exciting new breeds, and I haven't actually seen a painted fish there in a while. Some of the tanks have gotten worse - blue green algae, bacteria blooms, etc, but most of them have improved from the old location. Advice has improved, but is still pretty bum. Several staff members are, however, quite knowledgeable on identification, and confused labeling seem to have been resolved - as of this writing, they have flying foxes and false SAEs both correctly labeled.

Rumor is the other half of Pet Paradise is opening a new store, whether at the new location or where, I don't know, maybe they have something to do with the Soldan's that's supposed to be opening here eventually. The city has six fish stores already, though, and with one store already out and several struggling, there's not much room for more fish stores in such a small city.
Rated by: Corleone 11/09/08
City: Saginaw/Zilwaukee
Store: Aquatic Gardens

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:

Edit 8/13/08: With Scales and Tales recent troubles, this is my first pick for fish locally.

Only other option for salt water in town, and a much wider selection than Ocean Odyssey. Cleanest tanks in the area, as well. Staff is reasonably good, and directs questions they aren't sure of to a local fish club. 2-3 times as expensive as anywhere else, but does have 2 for 1 Tuesdays on some fish. Also carries the widest selection of very large or oddly shaped tanks. Regularly stock oddball fish, though it's a dice game to see what they have in any given week. Sometimes they get mislabeled fish that they're not sure about, which can lead to wonderful deals, as they're usually sold at a discount price.
Store: Ocean Odyssey

Cleanliness and quality: 4
Smiley rating:

Biggest place around. Pretty mixed, though. If you catch the manager, he really knows his stuff, but is usually in the back office. They have a few very knowledgeable people, and a lot of less knowledgeable people who at least know better than to give you advice when somebody is on hand that can help you better. They do some specialty orders, particularly salt water, but won't carry or order painted fish. Tanks aren't always the cleanest, and have a large shared filter/water supply, so fish should definitely be quarantined (I've gotten a couple sick fish from them). Has some oddball stuff, like marine acclimated mollies and occasional rare species, but it's mostly common fish. One of only two places to get salt water fish in town, but unless you want yellow tangs, the selection is limited.

The one thing I really don't like about the place is that they sell baby alligators. I don't think they should be kept as pets to start with, but there's no viable way to keep something that gets that large in this part of the country, so most of these probably die or are donated to the zoo (where most of them probably die anyway).

Edit 8/7/08: Updating this place and downgrading a couple of their scores. Lately a number of their tanks have been sitting empty, the selections narrower, the water's been dirty, and the fish have been looking progressively less healthy. I was a bit disturbed that they were selling some Malawi cichlids with visibly bent spines at an increased price as a "rare humpback variety."

Cleanliness and quality: 5
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 4
Smiley rating:

Lot of sick or injured fish in the tanks. Most of the fish staff sound like parrots repeating canned answers, and they can rarely give good answers about specific species. Tried to sell me a dead apple snail saying, "Don't worry, he's in there!"
Store: Scales and Tails (formerly known as Anthony's Aquatic Adventure)

Variety/ Selection: 8, 10 if you're rich
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 4
Smiley rating:

An improvement over the dark days of a few months ago. Store seems to be under new ownership. The tanks are better maintained than they've been since Anthony quit - the blue green algae overrunning the two tanks by the front window is finally gone. Selection isn't as impressive as it once was, but still has a dozen species you won't find anywhere else without driving to Lansing. The higher number above is for people who can afford their very expensive stuff like paired flowerhorns, proven breeding piranhas, and the freakishly expensive gold piranha in the back corner. Live food supply is still erratic at best - crickets are back in, but blackworm is spotty.

Haven't met all of the new people. The guy I did meet didn't seem to know anywhere near as much as the old staff did. The place still seems to be struggling, and is a long way from regaining its status as the best in town, but they've definitely improved. They are carrying more reptiles than they used to, however, and the new guy does know about them.
Rated by: Corleone 11/09/08
City: Waterford
Store: Moby Dicks Pet Store

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 9
Smiley rating:

Summery: They have one of the best selections I have ever seen at a LFS they have both Saltwater and freshwater even a few reptiles and small animals. The staff can answer just about anything you ask them.
Rated by: acetennis2002 08/08/06

City: Waterford
Store: Moby Dick

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 9
Rated by: nukeonekitty 09/12/06
City: White lake
Store: Highland Tropical

Rated by: nukeonekitty 09/12/06

MINNESOTA
State: Minnesota
City: Minneapolis
Store: FTwin Cities Reptile

Smiley rating:

Since it's a reptile store, they don't have a huge selection. But it's the only place in town to get Gold Tetras. All the fish I got here have been very healthy, no mystery losses. They tanks are a little dirty, but they actually have live plants in them. The workers are extremely helpful. One gave me a step-by-step of how to do DIY CO2. Very nice place. I also like looking at the reptiles, it's like a mini-zoo.
Rated by: Sackett 11/05/07
Store: Something Fishy

Variety/ Selection: 7 (mainly SW)
Smiley rating:
Rated by: afireinside 05/25/06
Store: A World of Fish

Variety/ Selection:9
Cleanliness and quality:10
Smiley rating:
City: Roseville
Store: HarMar Pets

Cleanliness and quality:7
Staff friendliness and Knowledge:8
Smiley rating:

NEVADA
State: Nevada
City: Carson City
Store: Jan's Tropics

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 5 - I have gotten some very questionable info from this store.
Smiley Rating:
Rated by: tttnjfttt 06/04/06

State:NV
City: Carson city
Store: Jans Tropics.

Variety/selection: 9
Cleanliness and quality: 5
Staff friendliness and knowledge: 6
Smiley rating:

They have fresh and salt water. They have many different kinds and some really big pacu and plecos. I have mixed feeling about this place. They have Red tail catfish that look starved and they had some Sturgon. She also have a nurse shark I feel these fish are too large to be sold to the general public. She should not have them. Also I have seen some unhealthy looking Oscars with hole in head. So of the fish are just sad looking. I did buy a keyhole from her and he is doing ok. Fun store to check out but fish are not kept in the best conditions.
Rated by: snowflake311 06/15/09

Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley Rating:

State: NV
Store: PetCo

Smiley rating: :good:
I get many of my fish from them. For a chain store they do have a good selection of healthy fish. The people are friendly not all of them know that much but they try and help. They had bristle nose plecos labelled as common plecos. But it's cool because I got one for the price of a small common. They have salt water fish too.
Store: PetsMart

Smiley Rating:

State: NV

Cleanliness and quality: 3
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley rating: :crazy:
They have young kids working that don't give a crap about fish. They can't answer a costumer simple question like Do mollies need heaters or filters? I had to help these people out. I also saw the worst case of Hole in the head on a an Oscar that was on display. All there fish look sick and so many of them are dead or dying. The way they clean the tanks is awful. I would never buy a fish from that place. But they do have some good prices on fish supplies. Always dead fish they seem to just not be as healthy.
BUT they have some pretty good plants..
City: Reno
Store: Sierra Aquarium

(NOTE: this review may be biased because the owner Amanda Heck is my friend and she sends me some pretty good stuff)

Variety/Selection: 10 (mostly does special orders)
Cleanliness and Quality: 10 (pretty good stuff)
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 7 (because she flipped out on me once for no reason)
Prices: 8 (not the best prices I've ever seen but the quality of her stuff is the best I've ever seen)
Rated by : meepster 07/24/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back