Unhealthy Sponge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bitfishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
My latest visit to the LFS resulted in my coming home with a sponge, it came with a lovely little colony of tiny daisy like polyps which caught my eye. He threw it in for free because the sponge was decaying round the edges and wished me luck. Having checked the book/net, I thought it was a red tree sponge and duly cut away the dead bits, rubbed off some of this light hair-like growth that it has all over it and gave it a dose of phytoplankton. Then I read the book again, and realised its not a red tree sponge because the surface of the sponge is smooth whereas the picture in the book shows the surface full of ridges and bumps. Now I'm worried that the little hairs might actually have belonged to the sponge and weren't algae as I thought (however they came off very easily). Also I interpreted the word 'polyps' in the book to be referring to the tiny white egg-like polyps (with a little tuft of hair at the top) that were growing on the sponge (so I scraped round them), but presumably they're not anything to do with the sponge at all. Are they bad? could they be causing the problem? should I remove them?, or is it likely to be air-exposure that caused all this and in fact it is a red tree sponge that's so far gone that it no longer has an uneven surface.

Any help gratefully received

How come every time I go to my LFS, within hours I'm scouring the net with a new problem/question!! I went there for two mandarin fishes and came back with a dodgy sponge, a xenia that's gone a bit homesick and two fire shrimp (God they are sooo gorgeuous), and a couple of accessories - and £75 the lighter. I do my research, go in with a plan and the moment I walk in and see all these tanks full of amazing stuff, my head turns to jelly. :huh:

Lol, well you're not alone with the jelly head thing. TBH though, we're gonna need pics to really tell you what's going on with your sponge. Descriptions are really tough when dealing with something like this :unsure:

lol sounds like our lfs, if anythings not doing well in their coral tank we either get given it or sold it at a much discounted rate as we've got a stronger light than they do!

Ok I give up - how do I send a picture? If its obvious I'm going to be really embarrassed.........

he he, register at a site like photoucket and upload the pic there, then it gives you a link with IMG tags which you post into here and a pic appears, it should look something like

Code:
[quote]www.photobucket.com\my album\my picture1[/quote]

Yeah, except "quote" is for quoting text in the forum. You want to use "IMG" in place of the word quote. Leave the slash on the second one though ;)

oops, my bad, had a bit of a blonde day yesterday :blush:

coral1.jpg

Right...... If I've done this right there will be two pictures of the coral in question!!!

I'm afraid I've also just discovered the difficulties of marine photography, so they're not very good -_- . Before you laugh however, you should've seen the ones I rejected!! Oh well.

Thanks again guys, I hope these are of some use.

Regards

Peta

OK I've not done it right - hang on :crazy:

coral2.jpg

coral2.jpg

Help if I read you reply properly :rolleyes:

This should work.....................

Yippee :hyper: it worked - except that I uploaded two from the same angle, when in fact one of them was supposed to be from the front... :blush: anyway... you get the idea!

Well the big orange thing is a sponge and in that pic it looks pretty healthy. Top left in that picture is common pulsing Xenia, And bottom right there is a common star polyp :good:

Well, I'm delighted it looks healthy, it didn't look so hot before I cut all the white ends off!! Still if you think it looks OK then that's a start, and hopefully scraping off the hairs was an OK thing to do. Having never seen one before, I really havn't a clue! Maybe it will be OK, if so what a great freebie :hyper: Is it a 'red tree'? Not that it really matters - so long as you think its OK now. Will watch closely for more decay.

Thank you again Ski -

Decay in a sponge is usually rapid and sriking. You'll also smell it when you walk into the room. A decaying sponge smells like rotting ocean and is very obvious :sick:. Your best bet is to leave it be and let it gain stability. Feed phyto regularly and you should do ok with it :good:

Just thought I'd add for the record that the cutting etc etc seems to have helped. There's no further whiteness in the bits I cut off thoroughly, although the bits I left a bit of white on are growing, so out with the scissors again tomorrow. In fact theres actually a spike of new growth on one branch. Whatever the problem with it is, it seems to be improving. Yippee!

Thanks once again to everone

Sponges are nearly impossible to keep. I hope that you have luck with it. If they get exposed to air, that blocks their pores which is how they feed. Keep an eye on it. SH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back